is there anybody out there?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marinda, May 9, 2017.

1. Yeah, OK. This guy ain't on my RADAR! Should he be?

Seems like a darned good bass player. Props for that.
    But with all that crap in front if his eyes, why does he look like he looking at the fretboard?

Looks like Woody Allen crashed his VW bug into a bar on a Saturday night.
    How's that for a load of old fartedness?

2. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    For a guy who plays lefty and upside down, yeah! Hah

3. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Scott Reeder instantly came to mind. Search some videos on him he goes into details about his experiences(bass camp 2016) if I remember. Absolute bass tone monster!

4. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

Thanks for your support!! And I can't watch ppl play, or the dots on fretboard that's confusing af, the thing with tabs is anyone can write them, so it's more like reference, I like to get the basic and pretty much go from there. I also like tabs pro because it lets me hear the other instruments on low and I can play with that... And I've started to play in my room while mybf plays in the 'band room' it helps me find the notes like u said! Without any pressure cause he's just jammin, also that's how he plays by ear! It's awesome when I'm like oh u should learn this and he pretty much can play it b4 it's over!! But yeah the tabs are like the jump-off point for me. I used to have audacity but my backlight is out on my PC!! Ugh I can use it with a big flashlight but it's annoying!! So till I order new screen I'll just be beefing up on my chops!!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Doh! I should have looked up a little farther on the previous page before replying. The guy in the video you posted is one of the people I was talking about. He was my teacher when I was taking lessons!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    Spider dude asked for pics of the bridge outta curiosity if that's what u guys are referring to, if not then I missed something

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I love it... Spider Dude... it both looks and feels better, when both are capitalized...

8. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

I couldn't remember ur name and did the show up? I have no clue how this site runs !! But YEAH I finally got on the iPhone and now have spell, punctuation , and all that gooder stuff lol I sound educated!!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    If it works for you that's great!

Welcome to Talkbass madam. :thumbsup:

fretter, Marinda and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. I recently saw the North African band Tineriwen. I noticed that the bassist was a lefty. About halfway through the concert, he picked up a right handed electric guitar and started shredding on it upside down - playing it like you play your bass. I figured he probably learned how to play upside down because he probably didn't have access to a left handed guitar when he was learning. Anyway - it didn't slow him down at all.

Marinda likes this.
  11. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    FYI: Tisdale "was" left handed. He passed a few years back.

12. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    You're not alone. I know one older fella (in his 70s) who plays a Danelectro Longhorn. He's a lefty who just flips a RH bass upside down. E string on the bottom. He does fine with it.

Marinda likes this.
  13. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    I agree if I might interject here :) . I'm amazed that tabs are being taught in music stores now. Very guitar /bass instructors even teach music the old conventional way anymore.

14. Very few people live in caves with no electricity any more.

There's nothing wrong with tabs, and no benefit to learning conventional music notation if you have no intention of reading sheet music. If your goal is to learn particular songs that take your fancy, and presumably songs with which you are familiar, there's no harm learning from tabs, which will in time lead to learning by ear, and the "theory" will come to you naturally even if you can't recite it.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Marinda likes this.
  15. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    Well, I see no need to evaluate writing skills here. Ive come to realize how difficult it can be trying to comment by using this cell phone with my index digit. Im not seeing a need to be focusing on typos, and grammatical errors. I'd go to a writing skills forum if that was what I was interested in. ...no disrespect towards you from me. Keep on rapping my friend, cause I'm feeling ya! :) I've seen other forum members rudely go after "grammar" first, instead of content. I guess there is some enjoyment in being "picky" about minor issues such as writing imperfections. God bless them anyway....peace.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Marinda likes this.
  16. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    FYI: He also was a former NBA star.

17. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry everyone, that was a typo. I'm well aware Wayman passed away. I had the pleasure of working with him and even got to play his Tobias bass when he was a guest one of the shows I worked on. He was super awesome!!

web824, Marinda and Double E like this.
  18. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    U cud look @ it that way but ppl r more lkly 2 respond srsly 2 posts that r ez 2 read.

Marinda likes this.
  19. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i've covered both sides of this issue ... after my first 10 years of Classical piano ... i was then self taught on bass/gtr ...

my point being that music is a language ... learning the more accepted version of that language Will lead to better communication and more Fun ... !!!

and i am an old fart ... i think many people played some version of 'upside over' a while back , when left handed instruments where harder to find in stock at your local store ...

i totally agree with ' whatever feels good - do it ' ... but don't limit yourself from broadening your knowledge .

for me , Tabs don't give me all the more 'musical info ' that traditional staff/sheet music does ..?

but i am first/foremost a pianist ...

but , but ... when i was hired to play in various bands, gigs , orchestra pits playing bass ... they handed me traditional sheet music or charts to sight read .. !!

the true bottom line ... there is only 1 opinion that matters = Yours .. !!

Marinda and IJBurns like this.
  20. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

Hey I finally got the iPhone to work!! Now I have the skills like everyone else! Trust me if everyone had to type with out spell/grammar/punctuation check we would all sound like idiots!!! Technology has made us lazy!!! I'm typing worse now on purpose and look its perfect!! Lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021