is there anybody out there?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marinda, May 9, 2017.

1. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    OMD-14.jpg
    Andy McCluskey plays this way....

Looks odd to me. But, he gets the point across.....

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Marinda likes this.
  2. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Some writing skills would be a good idea, too. :) I'm honestly not trying to be mean, it's just that you'll get more respect here (and in life). :bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper:

3. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    you could always learn to read " music " ... versus tabs

you should be able to play All notes on all 4 strings ... you still have to reach/stretch the same .. !!??

i'd learn proper technique and not listen to my inner voice's excuses for not doing so ..

quickfix and Wandering Bass like this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I still say tell him you got the upside down right hand and it's about to go upside his head. Then tell him to go watch Jeff Healey play some tunes on Youtube.

I'm pretty good at relationship advice.

Seriously, I'm an inexperienced bass player but if you can play comfortably in some way and it works for you and you can make sounds you like, then there you go. Express yourself. Seeing Jeff Healey play guitar flat on his lap, fingers all arched and weird, looked painful and awkward to me when I first saw it (on the Patrick Swayze movie "Roadhouse!") but by all accounts I've read that dude could play, not just blues-rock, and was a hell of a guy, and a hell of a musician. His actual playing technique wasn't really the important thing about him as a musician, it's just how he made the instrument work for him. I don't see how upside-down and righty is any different.

EDIT: reading DavC's post above mine is a pretty interesting example of what I see as two schools of thought on this. I get his point; learning to play in ANY manner will feel uncomfortable and and argument can be made for persevering and learning how to do it until it doesn't feel uncomfortable, which also has the advantages of matching up to traditional music notation (and tab), and having many people who came before you to refine it to be versatile and suitable and all that.

But some people, or at least I, would argue that if it feels good and sounds good, do it. It's how we ended up with slide guitarists, a bunch of blues guys who didn't know any different and sounded great anyway, and Jeff Healey, who looked like a sick piano player with bad posture when he played guitar but was fluid and agile and played with power. You don't want to experiment with different hand positions when you're using a circular saw, or a chainsaw...but if it addresses a physical discomort issue on a bass guitar, and Marinda's got her ears turned on and is paying attention to how she sounds as well as how it feels, then I don't see any reason not to explore that approach and see where it leads. Better to be making music than not making music, and better to go where you feel inspired to do so. I think.

*I am a self-taught guitarist and bassist who has never exhibited a lot of discipline in learning proper music technique. I don't mean to be critical of people who have...just to point out that plenty of musicians got interesting results from unconventional approaches and a variety of levels of training, including none.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Marinda likes this.
  5. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    ahha i do have a bit of that i was going to say that in the post but felt i was borderlining btween a long q and just rambling lol but thats what i think has big role, mike has tried to say why not just turn the tabs the other way? or the phone rather, i use the app...but yeah its no use ive found a groove and its what works...thank you for the support!! thats catchy too basstabdyslexia!! i dont read backwards, but i do things like tie my shoes backwards i guess little things like that..

michael_t likes this.
  6. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Don't forget this guy, although...well, you know...

[​IMG]

7. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

why so i can say hey i went to bass school but i totally suck because it seems to now flow easily...and now that im educated, ill take my knowledge and leave to go on the world tour!!! or how about not...i sleep way to much to go to ANY school lol and i play for fun!! thats what its about!!! right jammin out having fun?!?! why dont you give FLEA some sheet music....?!?! see how that works out!! just sayin!

8. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    ha thats what mike said after the whatthe... ?!? he said who do u think u are jimi hendrix?!?! i hope you know what ur doing!! lol and i didnt took almost a year to get it fully tuned right

Honch likes this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    As Sergeant Hulka says, 'Lighten up, Marinda.'. All in jest... except for all the possibilities of music one could obtain... I may have to turn some tabs upside down, when I get home... see what falls out...

Marinda likes this.
  10. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    thanks, im typing on a wii u and trying to reply to all so yeah if i had spell check and all that good stuff like on a phone, or computer id prob sound better, also im not really tryin to impress anyone, although i tend to poke fun at poopie i read all the time! i dont have all day to make everything in my replys perfect... srry lol that was a joke btw

web824 and Helix like this.
  11. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    im an over justifier, its a flaw lol not that im defensive at all i just feel the need to explain my logics

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. Welcome to my world!

Maybe I should try this upside down tab thing sometime to see if it can help me play better. ;):D

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Marinda, no pic, no upside down bass... was curious how your bridge is setup.

14. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France

15. I think you'll see a lot more of this. Another guy who plays like this is the amazing Keith Horne.

Linnin likes this.
  16. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa

ill get a pic up soon, i actually swapped those too and this time around i was smart enough to measure them and the pick ups are adjustable but they were not tilted so that i left alone but the top i need a new nut? is that what the strings lay into?? im getting a new one for now i have folded paper and the e string i had to groove it a bit to lay into...i got all strings to carry out except one at the end goes all goofy but not bad since the a and e were both flats i had to adjust with the alan wrench for about an hour, honestly i had them sounding good enough i figured it would be like that till i got the new nut thing but its good now

17. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Flea did actually go back and study music, a little later than most, but it is Flea ;)

Jim Carr, HolmeBass and web824 like this.
  18. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Live like you want to live, sister!

A few people are going to look at you funny for about five seconds. Then you'll start playing and the only thing that will count is the sound coming out of your amp. Most folks don't know a bass from a hole in the ground anyway, they'll never even notice. Other players will, but anyone who's any good will judge based on the results, not the methods.

HolmeBass, Helix and Marinda like this.
  19. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Wayman passed away in 2009. RIP

web824 and Marinda like this.
  20. Marinda

Marinda

May 6, 2017
    usa
    thanks!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021