Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Is this fretless?"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hopefully the person isn't here on TB, but I'm currently selling an SX P-bass '57 RI fretted bass on eBay. I have closeup pics of the bass, including the neck. I get a question, asking me if the bass is fretless.

Should I tell the person that it's fretless on the back of the neck, but not on the front?

Skel

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Perhaps whoever asked you this mistook it for a lined fretless. :p

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, so there is some logic here. I know *nothing* about fretless basses - thanks for helping to get the bewildered look off my face.

Skel

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

Sounds like you are dealing with EvilBay illiteracy.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I am dumbfounded by the questions I get when I'm selling stuff on eBay. For example, I clearly indicate a flat shipping rate anywhere in the lower 48, then I get a question from somebody in Illinois asking me how much shipping will be. So, from now on, as far as I'm concerned, I won't ship to Alaska and Illinois, but I'll ship to the lower 48.

Skel

6. Thor

Bwahahaha.

Wow.

And I thought my drummer was stoopid.

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yes. You should. Just to see what they say.

BWA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!!

Cherie

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ha ha! No, I want to say "Yes, thanks for the question". And then display the question/answer in the auction.

Skel

9. Thor

That would work.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. Perfect.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm so weird. I dreamed up this idea that I should have told the guy it was a "Belair fretless", and was only made from '57 to '61. The back of the bass had a "pop in" bridge and a built in nut. When you wanted the fretless vibe, you simply took the strings off, put them on the back of the bass, and then just flipped it over.

Skel

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    So those metal strips on a fingerboard are frets?? ohhhhh....

13. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    hahahhahaha bass players ask stupid questions.........wait a minute

14. LOL! on all that! I love the 'back of the neck' response! Priceless!

And really, how often to you get to use lines like that anyway? Go for it!

--tz

15. Come on man, don't be so cruel, he is one of us! ;)

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    No - what I think and what I say are two different things. I just politely said "No". Not sure he was one of us, though.

17. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i very much doubt if a forum member could ask such a question by the sheer fact that he looked at the threads here and gained some knowledge....probably a complete novice.

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey, good point - it's no big deal - I shouldn't be making fun of anybody, because I bet if they were here to defend themselves - you never know - It might be *me* that doesn't understand the question - not them.

Skel

19. +1. You can bet that if I was looking at a bass on eBay, (which I did a couple of years ago), I'd research the brand, go somewhere and try one out and make sure I knew what I was seeing before I bid on it. Probably "novice" or non-player looking for one for some odd reason, but, hey!, ya' have to start somewhere. There's no such thing as a stupid question, just an uninformed choice!;)

20. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    That reminds me... was in an electronics store the other day; overheard a customer ask the (very bewildered) salesclerk for a "corless wireless cord." ***????