1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this normal?!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jhm2112, May 16, 2018.

1. jhm2112

jhm2112

Apr 27, 2013
    Los Angeles
    So I got this bass back in January as a birthday/christmas present to myself
    upload_2018-5-16_20-58-0.
    Now I have serious GAS for this necause it reminds me of an Ibanez I ised to have in the mid-eighties( actually a P.o.s.) upload_2018-5-16_21-0-15. because it reminds me of that Ibanez I want it so bad. I know without even trying it out that it’s a really nice bass. The Stingray is literally the best bass I’ve ever had. Does this happen to any of you guys? I feel like I’m cheating on my wife.

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Basses are not wives.

Herrick, Raw N Low, sigterm and 11 others like this.
  3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah I’d be fully arrested by now if they were :whistle: hashtag Hello Utah

mikewalker, ELG60, ihixulu and 11 others like this.
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Life is short, buy the bass.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    My wife calls my basses "the Merry wives of Windsor" - my headless bass is named Boleyn.

6. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    That's funny right there

dabbler and jhm2112 like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

@jhm2112 if you have the funds, buy the bass. Those Aerodyne basses are shweet.

8. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I was looking at the Aerodynes too, a minute ago. If I was going to get a fender, that'd be it.

9. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    YOLO.

LiquidMidnight, jpTron and jhm2112 like this.
  10. Johnny21

Johnny21

Mar 19, 2018
    NJ
    Variety is the spice of life man. Sometimes you want that PJ sound and that's ok.

jhm2112 likes this.
  11. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Asking a bunch of bass players if you should buy a second bass is like asking Leo DiCaprio if he'd be interested in dating another supermodel. Do you really expect anyone here to tell you "no?"

12. trofud

trofud

Mar 28, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Why all that guilt? If you got the money, go ahead, treat yourself right man!!

Those Aerodyne are sooo sexy and look like a bad, bad girl. The kinda bad I like.

13. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    It's called G.A.S, yes it happens, yes it sucks.

14. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I've had an Aerodyne J for about 10 years now. From a weight perspective it's awesome.

jhm2112 likes this.
  15. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    If I were you, I’d not buy another bass for such a reason.

I had five basses, and it started stressing me out because they were all too similar in function. So, I moved some things around. Now, I have a short scale Gibson, a Fender Jazz, and a Gretsch hollow body. My world is in alignment......for now. I just need an upright and a Precision to complete my five corners. It’s one of my goals in life. If that Aerodyne serves a function non of your other basses serve, go for it. If it is for memories, that doesn’t make sense to me because it’s not the same bass, and I used that same reason once to convince myself I needed another bass.

Of course, my own reasoning will drive me down the rabbit hole. I’ll also need a U-Bass. Hmmmmm, I don’t have a semi hollow either. Gasp! I don’t have an acoustic bass? Whatever, just buy the bass.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Bigamy is illegal - despite the right to "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", somehow there are limits in that little niche. The right to purchase multiple basses is so far, still legal. At some point we may need to start the NBA (no not that one, It's like the NRA but with B instead of R) to protect our rights.

You can take my basses from my cold dead hands. Until then, back off. Get too close, and...bass solo. Don't say I didn't warn you!

17. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Take a beano.

jhm2112 likes this.
  18. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Get the Aerodyne. You won't regret it.

Interspace Station and jhm2112 like this.
  19. I feel your pain bass brother. my wife just bought me the Ibanez sr655... one of my fav basses ever now. but im in the market for a warwick now, of course the wife said no.. is it bad that I ordered anyways and im gonna hide in the my band room she never goes in to.

MAXTHEDOG, Nunovsky and jhm2112 like this.
  20. BubbaZed

BubbaZed Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Tallahassee, FL
    I see by your profile that you joined in 2013. Surely you must know by now that there is a GAS epidemic here of enormous proportions.

I don't get it. You said the Stingray was the best bass you've ever had and you want to buy something that reminds you of a crap bass you had. This sounds like a panic GAS attack. Hang tight. It shall pass.

TjMetalhead likes this.