1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshGuardo, Sep 5, 2008.

1. JoshGuardo

JoshGuardo

Mar 20, 2008
    Norway
    I recently bought myself the Ampeg BA115 HPT, the one with a tube in the preamp... it dosent have any externel cab output

I wanna like mod it or something so i can have a 4x12 cab, are that possible?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Probably, but you would only be able to use one cabinet at a time.

3. JoshGuardo

JoshGuardo

Mar 20, 2008
    Norway
    i have no need for more than one cab anyway :p do any of you know where i can do a thing like that or where i can find a tutorial to do it myself?

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I can't find a picture of the back of one, but I'd start by taking out the amp section and finding the wires that go to the speaker. Then it's a simple matter of disconnectiong them and soldering the speaker end to a piece of speaker cable with a quarter-inch plug on the other end. Then you just plug that into the other speaker. Make sure you insulate the bare connections from each other.

A better way to do it might be to cut the internal speaker wire to leave about 4 inches of wire on the spaeker side, to which you could solder a male quarter-inch plug. Then, on the end of the speaker wires coming from the amp, solder a female quarter-inch jack. Then you can just use a regular speaker cable to plug into the female jack, and you'll be able to easily re-connect the internal speaker if you want to. You may have to create an exit hole somewhere in the cabinet to get the speaker cable through.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    If you live in southern California, I could possibly help you do it.

6. JoshGuardo

JoshGuardo

Mar 20, 2008
    Norway
    I live in Norway :p

7. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I have a BA115HP, without the tube, and am thinking of doing the same thing. I'd also like to use the 15" as an extension speaker. There is room to put a couple of Speakon connectors on one side of the chassis out the back.

I'm going to have 2 connectors, one for the amp out and one for the speaker input. I'm planning on using 4-pole connectors to ensure I don't connect another amp output into the amp output of the BA115. I'm going to use the #2 pole set for the output of the amp on one of the connectors and the #1 pole set for the speaker input. I'll also have to make a special cable, one end to the #1 pole and the other to the #2 pole. (My other cables are all using the #1 pole so the ampeg amp will be isolated unless I use the special cable.)

This will be a pretty flexible setup. I can use the amp section of the BA115 to drive another cabinet or use the speaker of the BA115 as an extension cabinet. The only thing that stinks is I'll have to connect the cable to both connectors if I want to play it as just a combo.

8. JoshGuardo

JoshGuardo

Mar 20, 2008
    Norway
    are you shure that will work? if so great:D i did thing of getting a 4x12 and still have sound in the 1x15 .... that would make me nuts:p (in a posetiv way)

9. As Munji pointed out...not a possibility. The amp won't be able to handle that many ohms. So, you're either going to cart around a very large heavy and unmanuverable amplifier AND an external cabinet, or be stuck with the 15 speaker it has, unless you do some very extensive mods to get the proper load using both your combo and an extension. And judging from your post, it might be a little bit outside your working knowledge or electronics.

10. That's going to a lot of trouble for your end goal. Why not sell the combo and buy an amp and two cabs...? Plus, whatever cabinet you use outside the combo is your "extension cabinet" while the speaker in your combo will always be your main speaker. Seems like a lot to carry around a combo if you plan on using an external cab as your MAIN source of sound. You are essentially then lugging an 85 pound bass head around. YIKES!

11. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    I recently bought a Genz Benz GBE-600 and a Berg HS210. I was really wanting to see what it would sound like adding the 15 from the Ampeg. Actually, the Berg sounds great by itself so I'm probably not going to go through with the mod to the BA115. It was mainly an idea and when I saw the thread I figured I'd tell what my plans were.

You're right that it's probably not worth the effort, but it would be interesting to see the different sounds I could get with different combinations. I'd be curious to the sound of the Ampeg driving the HS210 as well as the GBE-600 running the Ampeg's 15" driver.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Trade your Ampeg combo in for a 15" cab. Done, and finished.

13. +1