1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this wrong to ask?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Sep 8, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I found a pedal on a website for $239. When I emailed about buying it I was told that it would be $299. I could handle it when it was $240. But I'm mad that they jacked the price up on me. Is it wrong to send a email asking to bring it down a little? How much is reasonable? $260-270? I feel bad about haggling over the internet. But I was expecting one price and got another. :mad:

No, it doesn't matter what the pedal is and where it's from.

2. Jsegbers

Jsegbers

Aug 26, 2008
    Just email him back and say the price you quoted of 240 will work much better and follow up with saying would paypal work?

;)

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

4. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    not wrong at all. I would tell them that you are ready to pay the ADVERTISED price, and nothing more... if they expect you to pay more, the website should reflect the actual price.

call them out on it... sounds like ******** to me.

John

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    See, the problem is, it's a big well known store. It's not like it's just some dude trying to screw me over.

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    advertised price typically = sale price . It would be good business to give it to you at the advertised price . If you wait they may update their website to the new $$$. I would politely demand they advertised price.

I don't think they are legally bound as they may have a micro print disclaimer stating price subject to change without notice .

8. +1, cause that's BS.

9. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    What is "politely demanding"?

"Hey man, I was ready to order when I thought the price was $240. I wasn't aware that you would jack the price up $60 on me. Any way you could bring it down closer to your advertised price?"

Good?

10. Im not sure if its an old wifes tale, but I was under the impression its illegal to deny a sale at an advertised price?

As an example, when I was a teenager working in a retail store, I can remember selling a pair of jeans really cheap because we had tagged them wrong.

They should really honour your sale and then fix their mistake. To answer your question, IMO its not wrong to ask.

11. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    A bigger retail will not 'haggle' 20-30 bucks but most likely honor the advertised price.

12. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    It's not a chain. Actually a smaller store that happens to be well known. You guys should be able to figure it out without me saying more.

(Hint: check my location)

13. Florida Bass Shop ?

14. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Nevermind. I'm just going to say I'm ready to order if they'll bring the price back down to what it was advertised as.

15. Yeah, do that and leave it with them. Its probably all you can do really.

If they won't bring the price down and you still decide you want the pedal, buy it elsewhere just because !

Damn Florida Bass Shop....

16. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    You could call them. In fact, if I were you, I'd ask to speak to the owner of this shop that happens to be located in the same state as the one I'm in. Because honestly, the advertised price is what you should pay, and not a penny more.

17. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

18. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    big stores are easier to manipulate... individuals or small shops can blow you off... tell them you are going to pay the advertised price or you will take all your business elsewhere and go out of your way to dissuade others from patronizing their shop.

john

19. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

20. Your being very supportive today Spanky :)