ischell c1, c2 or c3

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BiigM, Feb 19, 2022.

1. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    I am thinking of trying an Ishell. i have the wilson pickup which is great but not that acoustic sounding. I also have the B-stat, that sounds more acoustic but installation is fiddly and i dont really trust it.
    So i was thinking about trying the ischell, hoping for a more natural sound and then blending in the wilson if i get to the point of feedback. I'm primarily an electric player so I dont draw as much sound from the bass as "real" upright players.

so two questions really: will the Ishell be worth the try, and if yes which model?

2. Not the reply you want, but just wondering if you really need a second pickup since you don't seem to play much upright.
    Maybe it's your plucking technique that makes you sound more electric.

3. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

You may want to work on your technique of getting a big acoustic sound on the bass before you try any contact mics as they will only give you what you put into it.

salcott and Francois Blais like this.
  4. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

I have the Ischell C3 and it's incredible. A big improvement over the earlier mic(s).

I did an A/B test on a gig last Monday with a $1000 air mic and the C3 won. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't done it myself as a 'blind test'.

5. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Waiting on arrival of the new c3 myself!

BiigM and rickwolff like this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You have to consider the bass, amp, cab, and pickup a system. My impression is the Ishcell is a good choice if you have a good sound bass. It's one of the more accurate and mic-like pickups, so it will normally be very faithful to the sound of your bass.

However, if your bass has strong resonances in the body, it may be better to stick with some sort of bridge mounted pickup. As you turn up the gain, a feedback loop forms acoustically between the bass, amp, cab, and pickup. As the gain goes higher, the resonances are emphasized and degrade the tone.

The last bass I played professionally was very resonant as it was designed to be an acoustic cannon. It was not a great choice for amplification, especially with a pickup that mounted to body of the instrument.

bassically_eli likes this.
  7. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Maybe i should have clarified. I'm a professionel bassplayer, but my first instrument is electric. So I'm not gonna have the acoustic sound of say Christian Mcbride, but i do get a full tone, and i have an ok bass (E. Wilfer). Just need it to be more truthfull to the bass than the wilson alone.
    Anyway from the answers it sounds like c3 is the way to go. I have a headway that can do provide Phantom and blend in the wilson if needed.

8. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    The c3 is great! I’m still experimenting with mine but I already found a few positions that works great. You might not even need your Wilson, if you find a good balanced spot for the ischell.

ablumley and rickwolff like this.
  9. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Just remembered, I have an ischell c1 for sale(I don’t use it since I have the c3 now). It’s not as good but almost. It’s yours for 150euro + shipment. It needs phantom power though…

10. ablumley

ablumley

Jul 25, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Have you tried the C3 with a bow?

Wasnex likes this.
  11. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    I did! Sounds ok but not as good as a normal mic. Better then a piezo. Lacks highs. In the room it sounds good though…

ablumley likes this.
  12. ablumley

ablumley

Jul 25, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Sounds kind of similar to how the C1 handles arco... Do you feel that the C3's extended range makes it sound slightly airier/closer to a traditional microphone than the C1?

13. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Yes, it’s definitely a step closer to a real mic sound.

ablumley likes this.
  14. rickwolff

I got this msg from Fischer:

I'm also working on the air mic, A3 will soon come with great qualities as well I think

I'm looking forward to getting one and blending it with the C3 contact mic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X6t1Z7ompxgkf4Jm6

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  15. bassically_eli

bassically_eli Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    What do you plan on using to blend them? Both will need phantom power, right?

16. rickwolff

My secret weapon:

Gollihur Series Bass Acoustic Array Pro Amplification (Exclusive)

You could also use a 2 channel pre-amp with phantom power, such as an EDB-2 or similar. I really enjoy having an all-in-one solution with my 2 channel 'Genzlihur' Amp. I've been using it almost exclusively for several years (I bought the very first one: serial number 0000). It sounds great, goes on a speaker pole and only weights 30 lbs.

17. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    thanks guys. It sounds as if i should give the c3 a try :)

rickwolff likes this.
  18. bassically_eli

bassically_eli Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Oh right, I forgot you had that. I've see it in your videos. It looks like an awesome amp, but I would really only ever be interested in the preamp or head if they sold it separately. I'm spoiled by a couple of MAS cabs and an Audiokinesis TC112.

I'm not sure that the Headway would work with that combo. It only has one balanced input with 48V. The 1/4" input has something kind of odd like 11V iirc. I'm not sure if either of the Ischell devices will work with that for anyone else interested.

I have a Zoom A3 that's great for blending a mic with a pickup, but I need another mic preamp or phantom power supply to blend two condensers. I also have an LR Baggs Mixpro, which provides 9V over two unbalanced connections, but that doesn't always work with every mic either.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  19. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Eli,
    With great cabinets like you have, they go a long way to getting you a great sound. My advice, (pun intended) save your pennies and get a Grace Felix. Just my take I know they are a expensive. Before I got my MAS 1/8s I used the Grace, a Monique M700 Power Amp, and the TC 112. It was breathtaking on big gigs

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    bassically_eli and Wasnex like this.
  20. rickwolff

DOH !! (slaps forehead).
    You're absolutely right.

I'm going to suggest to Jeff Genzler that he consider offering that as a separate or removable head.

I have also used it to amplify my bass AND the singers mic. That's really it's origin as the first Genzler Acoustic Pro amp is aimed at the singer/songwriter musician. Thanks to Mark Gollihur who suggested to Jeff to offer it with a bass driver. Hence the 'Genzlihur' (my name for it) which is a Gollihur exclusive and my favorite amp for DB

bassically_eli likes this.