issue with tc electronic Sub n Up Octaver 'Toneprints'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ShawnTheSheep, Jan 13, 2022.

1. ShawnTheSheep

ShawnTheSheep

Jul 11, 2020
    so I recently bought the Sub n Up Octaver and messed around with the 'toneprint' setting - I'm currently running into the issue that whenever I try to beam via the Toneprint app on my phone or store a different toneprint into the pedal by connecting the pedal to my laptop and using the Toneprint editor, it doesn't change and just uses the default Toneprint.

when beaming the pedal, the lights do the usual green blinking then back to standard red.
    when using the Toneprint editor on my laptop, it uses the selected Toneprint until I click on 'store in pedal' which then reverts back to the default sound.
    both the mobile and PC app are on the latest version

I'm really stumped, and haven't got any word back from tc electronic customer support, so I hope someone here had the same issue as me and found a solution

2. Haven’t had the problem with my Brainwaves and I hope I won’t, but your thread is on page 2 so here’s a free bump for you.;)

Seriously , I’ve heard but haven’t seen first hand that you can update the firmware on the pedal somehow. Also, sometimes digital pedals have a reset sequence. Using it might help. Did you see a reset sequence in your pedal’s manual? Maybe someone here knows about it?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  3. ShawnTheSheep

ShawnTheSheep

Jul 11, 2020
    thanks for the bump :)
    there actually aren't any firmware downloads for this pedal on the tc electronic website, and no info on the reset sequence. I've actually gotten in contact with TC's customer service, so here's to hoping it'll get fixed. if not, I'll just send it back

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "Precautions:
    Don’t lose that TonePrint!
    When editing TonePrints, there are two things that
    you should always keep in mind:
    ■ When you are done editing, always remember
    to store your TonePrint to the pedal using
    the “Store to Pedal” button! If you don’t, you
    will lose your creation when you disconnect the
    pedal.
    ■ You can use the knobs on your pedal in real-
    time, and the parameters will follow on-screen,
    but whatever you do: Don’t change the Type
    Selector away from the TonePrint slot, and
    do not disconnect power while editing without
    saving."

SteveCS likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not sure if you had the Tone-Print Editor manual.

Attached Files:

6. ShawnTheSheep

ShawnTheSheep

Jul 11, 2020
    thanks for the help, but both that and the manual didn't solve my issue :(

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I've only used my Sub'N'Up to beam a profile into the unit. I've never tested the functionality of download from a computer/Tone-Print Editor... yet.

Usually, the first thing I do is ensure I've met their minimum requirements, software/hardware wise. Try a different USB port on your computer, maybe? Sounds as if the computer is recognizing the device/connection, though. Is there any identifying feature within the Tone-Print Editor displaying your Sub'N'Up?

You ruled out a firmware update, so check that box. The editor has to be downloaded, so latest version, there.

I know it's not a 'permission' problem, but it's simulating one... read only, as opposed to write.

8. hermanmunster

hermanmunster I don't feel tardy

Jun 15, 2007
    SoCal.
    I can say that my Spectracomp is doing the same thing. Cant beam anything to it and cant connect with a PC. The app for Windows just stops responding.

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    You must save your changes to a User TonePrint before uploading to the pedal. See #7 below - the manual does not make this clear, and there is no warning when going back from the Editor!!

The workflow is this

1: Open the TonePrint app on the desktop
    2: Power up the pedal
    3: Open 'Settings' in the app:
    upload_2022-2-18_8-16-46.png
    4: Connect the pedal to the PC with the USB cable and wait until the app has recognised the pedal, then click 'OK'.
    upload_2022-2-18_8-34-36.png
    4: Select 'Templates' in the app and select the pedal type:
    upload_2022-2-18_8-44-34.png
    5: Find and select a suitable starting template:
    upload_2022-2-18_8-44-17.png
    6: Click the Edit button (top right):
    upload_2022-2-18_8-42-53.png
    ...and make your changes.

7: Click 'Save TonePrint' to save your work as a User TonePrint - select 'New' or 'Overwrite' as appropriate.
    upload_2022-2-18_8-45-40.png
    upload_2022-2-18_8-47-24.png

To get your TonePrint into the pedal:

1: Select 'User':
    upload_2022-2-18_8-48-41.png
    2: Select the pedal:
    upload_2022-2-18_8-49-51.png
    3: Select your new TonePrint from the list:
    upload_2022-2-18_8-51-37.png
    4: Click 'Store in Pedal' at the bottom of the screen:
    upload_2022-2-18_8-54-7.png

-------------------------------------

I've just picked up a Sub'n'Up Mini (for a specific purpose) and have already developed a love/hate relationship with the TonePrint Editor. The love part is that the deep editing and multiple parameter to knob assignment capabilties meant that I could create exactly what I wanted - poly, up-only, input EQ filtering, tilt-style output tone control with assymetric centre frequency, variable dirt/chorus blend and default settings linked to the centre positions of the knobs for ease of recall. Amazingly simple to achieve in a pretty short amout of time. And all from just three knobs - outstanding!

However, IMHO there is a fundamental and major flaw which sullies the whole concept. It is that User TonePrints, i.e. my stuff, can't be ported between my devices.

I had hoped to be able to develop and fine-tune my TonePrints in the Desktop app, with all of the convenience of a large screen, keyboard, mouse, and full-screen visibility of the app. I had hoped to then transfer my work to an old worthless Android device from which to upload TonePrints as and when required, such as at gigs. Turns out this can't be done. There are no individual TonePrint data files created by the app. This means that nothing can be copied and shared between instances of the editor on different devices and nothing can be backed up. Also, because settings can't be extracted from the pedal it is not possible to transfer between devices via a pedal - you can't save to a pedal from one device then extract from same pedal to another editor on a different device. So if I want to use a small crappy Android phone at a gig I have to create the TonePrints in the mobile app on that very device. And I'd better hope that said device doesn't turn it's feet up and take all of my TonePrints with it. This really is a major oversight on the part of the developer.

YMMV

crguti likes this.
  10. ShawnTheSheep

ShawnTheSheep

Jul 11, 2020
    thank you for the instructions, however doing that didn't help me unfortunately :(
    after some communication with tc electronic and them not knowing what the problem was even after me recording a video of doing all of that, I decided to send the pedal back to the shop I purchased it from (Thomann)
    just an update for this thread!

AlexanderB likes this.
  11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Sorry to hear about the issues. Please post the feedback from Thomann, if you get any.

12. jeromebass38

jeromebass38

Mar 7, 2022

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022