Jack Bruce on Fretless

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 3, 2019.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I've watched that David Letterman clip dozens of times. Jack and Ginger had such magnificent chemistry (as musicians)!
    I love Ginger's sound there, too, and he was so musical.

Les Fret likes this.

2. He also attended Royal Scottish Academy of Music to study cello, had a scholarship.

iiipopes and dougjwray like this.
  3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    He composed a string quartet when he was 11 years old.
    He also sang classical music as a child. I think I remember him mentioning a piece by Benjamin Britten, in his biography or in an interview somewhere.
    This is the same guy who recorded "Apostrophe" with Frank Zappa. There aren't many like him.

bobyoung53 likes this.

4. For me Jack was up there with Jaco and Jamerson, I actually prefer his Gibson and Marshall tone although although he was a very good fretless player, he was also a very good upright player. I think a big part of the reason he is not known quite as much as a virtuoso player like the others is because he was such a great singer and composer too.

I read a story once in which Jaco was doing a gig someplace in NYC and Jack walked in and Jaco invited him up to play thinking he was going to stump him with jazz tunes not realizing Jack was a schooled musician and had played upright in a jazz band while in school with predictable results.:laugh:

This is from a documentary on YouTube, Jack was a monster bassist.

Documentary from 1969 here:

This is his Gibson/Marshall tone I really like and his playing is unbelievable in this

He also does some great stuff after the break on this tune, it's kind of muddy though, he does a lot of upright-like playing in this tune.

He has a great sound in this one:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021