1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jamiroquai

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Hey ya'll I just recently got hip to Jamiroquai and I'm diggin the bass player / don't know his name but his old skool playing reminds me of all the disco bass lines from the 70'S and 80's that I loved to play.
    I would like to ask you guy's what other new artists you listen to for this type of groove playing.
    I listen to a ton of variety so I was surprised I hadn't listened to J.thou I have heard the name for awhile.
    So lets limit this to new artist out in the last 5-10 yrs max.

that said I just really got into Gvn't Mule within the last 5 yrs hahahahahah stupid me :rollno:

comon show the love :hyper:

Peace.....Capt Kirk

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Its the one and only Stu Zender, highly acclaimed bassist.

Left the band a while ago though, but the new guy fills in nicely. Depends on what albums youre spinnin.

3. Jordanthebass

Jordanthebass

Feb 22, 2009
    Hey man i love Jamiroquai too!

They got some fun songs to groove to.

Stuart Zender was definitely there best bass player thers been a few since the only ones i can think of being Nick Fyffe and Paul Turner.

I dont know if you know these guys already but you should check out Incognito there pretty funky and they got some cool grooves. Or possibly The Brand New Heavies which is the group Jay Kay was actually auditioning for before he formed Jamiroquai.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Paul Turner! Ah, I couldnt remember Sir P Bass's name.

5. There are some amazing videos on you tube of them at Abbey Road. Performing live. Simply amazing. I've only found three songs so far. They are with the new bass player and the sound and arrangements are unbeliveable. It sounds like they just came off of a tour. Highly reccomended!!!!

6. emythefretless

emythefretless

May 14, 2006
    Congrats buddy, you've just discovered the real deal :D

7. Jordanthebass

Jordanthebass

Feb 22, 2009
    Yeh those Abbey Road Vids are kool Such a tight performance.

You should check that out ^^ thats some serious playing man, they wer at ther best with Zender.

8. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines

/spoo

that is all

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I cant even remember how many times I have watched this the last few months.

10. Dfinch

Dfinch

Dec 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I wish I had that kind of groove. It's embarrassing.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This may be considered sacrilege in Jamiroquai World, but I greatly prefer Nick Fyffe and Paul Turner.

12. and all I can say is...Chuck Rainey, Rocco, .Bernard Edwards Duck, The Hook, Babbit, ...............its late ....nite all

listen to Richard Davis :cool:

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    One of my new favs. Great grooves, funky, with a 70's vibe. Great stuff.

14. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    I love all of jamiroquai's bassists, theyre all ubercool in their own way

15. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    That glimpse of the bass looked like a P-bass. Surprised me since I thought that J basses are more popular for that style.

Jamiroquai is very good alright, but sometimes a little too derivative of Stevie Wonder. But I love Stevie, so derivative isn't totally bad, just makes me feel that I have heard the song somewhere before...

16. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    They're all good, but if I had to pick just one it too would be Paul Turner. His work with Annie Lennox is really good too.

Just goes to show it isn't always a matter of what you use, but how you use it. I believe PT is a great fan/endorsee of Alleva Coppella J5 basses, but also uses a vintage P and 4&5 string 'Rays, plus a huge Aguilar rig to amplify them. Nice work if you can get it.

17. Jordanthebass

Jordanthebass

Feb 22, 2009
    Yeh Nick Fyffe an Paul Turner are amazing players in their own right, im not disputing that what so ever. I kinda just get the feeling that Stu Zender slotted in well, it just seems as tho they lost the flair when he left. They still come out with some hits but in the zender days it was like every song on their albums was decent if not amazing. Thats just my opinion though.

18. Ok so back on topic I have now listened to the Incognito and Brand new Heavies vids and I'm diggin thier old skool grooves big time. Who else you got ??? new on the scene???
    more names please!

peace.....Capt. K :cool:

19. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Nick Fyffe? Are you kidding? Total amateur compared to Turner and Zender. I guess you haven't checked out too much of the live stuff cause Fyffe was barely cutting it. I'm actually surprised he was with the band as long as he was. Anyway, that's enough Fyffe-bashing for now. Randy Hope-Taylor was the guy who played with Incognito and he was, indeed, fantastic. One very underrated player from the British Acid Jazz scene was Richard (his last name is never mentioned on the album sleeves) from Corduroy. Check out the albums "Dad Man Cat" and "High Havoc". Very fluid playing by a guy very at ease on his instrument. It's not disco-ish in the least (and it's not from the last five to-ten-years), but it's great stuff.

20. Jordanthebass

Jordanthebass

Feb 22, 2009
    Well yeh i havent checked out the live stuff with Nick Fyffe, i was judging it by his recorded work to be honest i.e. Synkronized etc. But yeh i agree Zender and Turner definitely work better with the band, its a shame Zender left in the first place tbh, i hear he had only been playing seriously for two years before they recorded Emergency on Planet Earth which seems pretty crazy. The guys got talent.