Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason newstead on garage inc.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, May 14, 2005.

1. Does anyone else feel that this was by far his best album? I think he nailed every song perfectly. I would also like to know how he gets that fantastic tone that can be heard in the Wait, the small hours and Am I evil?

2. It could be said that the reason that it was his best album is because he only had to learn how to play other peoples parts. I like metallica with Burton, better. I do like metallica with Newstead also. But Burton was way more inventive in his style. Did you ever hear the Bay Area Thrashers album. I have it and Mustaine sucks. Four Horsemen was originally named The Mechanics. Weird. the end

3. This is true. However, Jason was very inventice also, he was a far less thrash metal player tho, so comparing the two is near impossible. And it was called Mechanix :)

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Jason is actually a very versitile and talented bassist, he wasn't really allowed to stretch his legs very far with metallica though. I also think his best work is on the cover album, its more like the stuff he played live, where he did a lot more than on any of the studio performances.

5. I agree I know Hetfeild & Ulrich ruled the band with an iron fist. I also have Live Sh*T Binge & Purge. He was a great bassist Live and now that he is away from Metallica, he really has done some great work. Didn't he play on one of Sepultura's albums? If he did I used to have that one, until it was stolen.

6. PS I really like Metallica, even up though S&M. I just couldn't get into that last one. I'd still go to a live show. It just wouldn't have the same impact as with Newstead

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I saw them with Jason several years ago. It was a major disapppointment. The highpoint of the show was James forgetting how to play Four Horsemen :)

I don't know if Jason every played with Sepultura, but he did have a jazz fusion band going with Andreas for a while and I belive they released one or two albums on Andreas' own label.

I'm certainly interested to see what he does in Voivod

8. The Wait and The Small Hours were recorded with Cliff's old Aria proII, an SB1000 I believe. Not sure of the amp but it is a great tone, I love that high phrase at the very end of the Wait :bassist:

Am I evil was recorded when Cliff was still alive, probably the Aria again.

9. Wow, i was not aware of that. Does that mean Blitzkrieg was also cliff? cause the riff he plays during the solo is lightning fast!

10. Indeed it is, they are both from the 1st Garage days recordings, Jason's debut recordings were the 2nd set (re-revisited?).

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, Jason played on the first Sepultura album after Max left, I forget the title off hand, but I don't think he played, bass, I'm pretty sure he played Baritone guitar and sang... well shouted.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil are both on Kill Em All.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    After they released garage, they took them off Kill 'Em All though.

$$Cha$$ching$$

14. I prefer jason to Clif Burton. More bassy, less guitary.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Does that mean my copy of Kill 'Em All is "vintage"?

16. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The original Kill 'Em All didn't have Am I Evil or Blitzkreig as they were on the Creeping Death single (AKA Garage Days Revisited).

Elektra added these to Kill 'Em All after they acquired the rights to the album from MegaForce Records (iirc). This was all done after the success of MOP.

And yes, Garage Days Re-Revisited were some of Jason's best playing while he was with Metallica.

A lot of people don't like his work with Flotsam & Jetsam, but the album Doomsday for the Deceiver had some great basslines. A bit flashy, but heavy. I thought it was a decent metal album for that time.

About Mechanix, I think it was the first version of the Four Horsemen which ended up on KEA. When Mustaine got axed, he recorded it with Megadeth on Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good. I liked both Metallica and Megadeth back in the '80's. The rivalry between both bands was always entertaining. Talk about an unintended marketing ploy. :smug:

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's strange, because all modern copies of Kill 'Em All lack any covers.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think Garage INC has the best Jason mix out of all the records he did with them. I am pretty sure the 2 songs on disc 2 you mentioned were actually played by Cliff Burton. Great Record. :bassist:

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That Album is awesome :bassist: :hyper:

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My copy is a CD from 1992 or thereabouts. I'm not old enough to be a true "old school" metallica fan. I got into them when AJFA came out and the video for One was in regular rotation on MTV, I was 10 at the time and shoplifted AJFA because my mom thought it was satanic and wouldn't buy it for me.

A few years later I got a CD player for my brithday (mom had relaxed about the whole "rock music is the devil" deal) and the first 5 CDs I bought for it were the first 5 Metallica albums.

Ironically Kill Em All is the only one I still own from this era as it is my least favorite Metallical album (well, least favorite GOOD metallica album). The rest have been scratched to death and replaced at least twice each, and I'm actually on my SEVENTH copy of Master. I need to be more careful with the albums I really love.