1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz modern players why MIC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    I really liked the modern player jazz basses with the double humbucker. Then I find out there made in china? First when did fender move production to china? Why does It get a fender sticker? And how can they charge 500$...

Are there any other jazz basses that came with double buckers?

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    They are made in the facility that makes Squier Classic Vibes, and those are considered awesome basses, your opinion may vary.

It was a way for Fender to price something between the CVs and the MIM stuff. If you notice you can't get a 'normal' P or J in the Modern player, which adds to the differentiation.

The double jazz pickups sounded good to me at GC, but damn it was a heavy bass.

Plenty of Chinese-made guitars cost more than $500 these days, and folks are head over heels for the $400 ones from the same factory, even though they come with the dreaded Squier sticker.

So without being rude, get over it.

3. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Ah I guess I'm stuck in the world of around 2005 when MIMs were 450$ new :/

I love the classic vibes, but I still think the asking price is a bit high on these

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    And the only instrument sportin' same body tonewood and pickup configuration is the Fender MIM BlackTop Precision.

You know what? Both disappointin instruments to say the least

MIC Modern Player looks good and has pickup perfectly alligned
    under strings, but it's not so hot as one can guess; MIM Black Top Precision has pickups unalligned with the E string (bridge one especially) and again it's even not that particularly hot...

So what?
    I don't normally discuss prices (Lakland Skylines apart) but yes
    I think they're a bit overpriced

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    I might pick up a brand new one today for 350$

Any reason not to?

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Beautiful and versatile instrument, with somewhat Geddy Lee's
    kinda look, with a proficient P/J configuration and a surprising koto body.

Modern Player Precision and Jazz can reveal to be difficult to dismiss.

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I picked up a used Modern Player Jaguar for $250 and I absolutely love it.

I've made some posts here, I put a DP148 Dimarzio in the jazz position, went to a 62 stacked Jazz control set and put a new nut on it.

It's a wonderful instrument, especially for the price I paid.

Bob

8. Sure, three reasons I can think of.

a) It's Made In China.
    b) It's Made In China.
    c) It's Made In China.

Almost anywhere esle is preferable.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The same things were being said about Japanese Fenders way back when now they are desirable and machines don't know what country they're in? if you find a instrument you like and put it back because of where it is made well.....?

10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    That's not totally fair. While it's true that I've played my share of MIC basses that are absolute crap, there are some that are good. My KSD Burner is a MIC bass, but it is a pretty good instrument - quality is much better than one might expect.

I've also owned stinkers from Indonesia (Spector Performer with CRAPPY fretwork and nutwork), Korea (Carlo Robelli with a warped neck), Taiwan (Yamaha BB405 with truss too straight at loosest setting - especially disappointing because Taiwan Yamahas are generally awesome IME), and USA (Fender Jazz Bass from 1976). I've also played crap instruments from across the globe that I've not owned, including MIC, MII, MIJ, MIM and MIA.

Stinkers come from every country - it's up to the manufacturer's quality standards at the time of manufacture to make sure that their instruments are of better quality. While I agree with an above poster that I'm not crazy about their prices these days, today's Fenders are generally very good regardless of origin.

11. I don't like the way the economy is going production-wise. Please keep making guitars in America and stop importing everything.

The UK's industry has went way downhill, America's cannot afford to either.

12. -_- All of your reasons are garbage. It's well built & plays well for the price. There's nothing wrong with a Chinese bass.

Your economy's issues have more to do with mismanaged government & disparity in wealth. You're bailing out banks that don't even post a profit yearly without a government welfare fund...and then they don't even pay into that system. THEN your wealthy are using tax loopholes to avoid paying taxes, forcing your government to tax middle/lower class more to compensate. THEN you're giving large corporations tax breaks, requiring struggling mom & pop shops to pick up the slack there, too. Your system is the problem, not importing.

13. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Nobody in the USA is going to make a bass for that price and good American basses are just as available as they ever were. I don't see where the problem is. They haven't quit making basses in America. We're not talking TV's here.

14. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I thought everyone got over the whole "made in ___" thing years ago... Guess I was wrong.

15. apart from being heavy and that the hardware (mainly tuners) are kind of cheap, I think they're great. IMO, it's the Fender version of the Squier CV and VM. Same factory, same quality build, different decals. I think the target market was for people who loved the CV line but never got around the fact that it was Squier-branded. While doing that, they tried something different with the dual humbuckers.

16. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    A few decades too late to do anything about it.

17. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Only issue I have with it is, your 125$ more for a fender logo?

18. Not talking about "quality". I'm talking about financing our own destruction with what's left of our purchasing power as consumers.

The Cold War didn't end when the Berlin Wall came down, despite what they teach in schools today. The Chinese Govm't has been carefully waging war against The West for decades. Same as it ever was, and we're helping them do it. Sad.

19. Never say die. Defeatism is not an option.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I paid about $650ish(plus taxes) for my Fender Standard P in 2004, paid the extra $50 for the sunburst and waited for weeks for it to come from the factory. If anything it is cheaper to get a Fender now, at least in my region.

I also agree $500 is too high for a chinese bass, it is not like they are paying the labour force appropriately so why all the added cost. The added profits are making the rich even richer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.