1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Necks: All Parts Fat vs. Mighty Mite

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FerruleCat, Apr 3, 2015.

1. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm starting a Jazz build, and I'm trying to decide whether to go with a Mighty Mite neck (rosewood board) at $110 or an All Parts fat neck (rosewood board) at $299.

I generally like fatter necks, but I'm not sure why the All Parts would be worth three times the cost of the MM.

The body is a recently acquired Squier Standard Jazz in basswood. It's fairly light as bodies go, though I haven't weighed it. The AP fatty would, of course, make it more neck heavy, though I plan to go with Hipshot Ultralite tuners to help with that.

FWIW, the rest of the build details are: DiMarzio Model J pickups, CTS pots (probably 500K this time), .047 Orange Drop, Schaller 3D roller bridge. The goal is to have a thumpy Jazz Bass that would negate the need for a P Bass.

Aside from the fuller profile, are there benefits that would justify paying three times as much for the All Parts fat neck? (Advantages might include things like a thicker headstock or known compatibility with the Hipshot Ultralite tuner bushings.) As it stands, I'm inclined to go with the MM. (The MIM Fender Jazz neck, at $200, falls right in the middle of those price points but doesn't seem to offer any advantages other than the decal, which I don't need.)

Thanks for any advice.

2. I've never touched a Mighty-Mite neck so have nothing to tell you about them, but the Allparts neck I installed on the bass in the photo is very, very good. I bought it second hand here from someone who never used it so am not sure it's a 'fatty' but I think it probably is-it's quite deep around the back but I like that. Great feel, great sound. My only complaint is that I had to remove the neck finish from the frets, as they spray the neck after fretting(with a maple board).

GeddyP.

FerruleCat likes this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

If you don't require blocks and binding, I suggest the Mighty Mite. They make great necks for a great price. I have one (jazz neck/maple board) on my parts bass. Expect to do some fret finishing but the necks are well made and stable. Just my opinion.

ymdzCaJ.

ack and FerruleCat like this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    G &L has some nice maple and rosewood necks too, don't know if they are drop in fit for Fender bodies. The allparts necks are better quality from what I've sen though nowhere near as good as Warmouth. The allparts is probably the safest bet. Good luck with it.

5. DWBass

The G&L's will not fit Fender bodies.

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I've owned a number of All Parts necks and every one have them were/are top-notch. (still own/play 3) If you hunt around they can be found for a fair price considering their value/worth. I had a one MM and it was good too but I personally prefer the All Parts necks.

Dadagoboi likes this.
  7. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    +1 - I just got a MightyMite Maple board Jazz neck and it's great, but I had to do quite a bit of fret edge cleanup.
    That was pretty simple, and I really like the neck.

DWBass likes this.
  8. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Update: I just ordered the Mighty Mite 2908 jazz neck, which is the regular-sized, rosewood-board neck. I have a Squier VM 70s Jazz Bass, and I find that neck very playable. So while I might also like a beefy neck, I wouldn't miss it, either.

I applied my cost savings toward the other parts of the build. My DiMarzio Model J pickups are in, and I have the Hipshot Ultralite tuners on the way. This should end up as a fairly light but hard-hitting bass.

I'll do a separate thread on the build as I bring it all together.

9. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    2015-04-10%2021.43.48.

Not too impressed with the Mighty Mite neck. There is tearout on two tuner holes and a gouge on the back of the headstock. The finish was rubbed through on the edges of the heel, and the heel is *EDIT: 3/64"* too narrow, so there is play in the pocket.
    20150410_182353-1.

On the other hand, it's straight, and I like the rosewood. The frets are decently finished, too. I could deal with the other issues, but I might return it and try a MIM Fender neck.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. DWBass

That sucks. My neck came in perfect condition! Send it back and try another before going the Fender route. That quite possibly could have been a returned neck from someone who worked on it.

11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    You can see on the volute area that the wood looks a bit gray and chalky; there are several spots like that where it feels like raw wood. I don't know if the finish is supposed to be that thin, but I'd rather have a neck that I don't have to refinish. I can do the return through my local GC. I just need to figure out which way to go.

12. DWBass

I can attest that it does have a thin finish. It smooths out and shines up the more I play it. Has a nice grain to it. Send that neck back. I hope you do get a decent replacement.

13. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'd vote to send it back. At least give them a chance to make it right.

14. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    All parts neck heel is 2 7/16" not 2 1/2" - you will have a 32nd" gap on either side of the neck pocket.

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    A 32" gap in the neck pocket is not too cool. That would kill the deal for me. Id send it back, lots of other neck suppliers out there, and the neck heel has to be tight or it will be an ongoing hassle. The rubbed through heel finish means this is a returned defect neck, the other guy may have done all the damage you see. I bought a Mighty Mite strat neck and sent it back, crappy fret job and grainy finish with overspray orange peel. I haven't tried Allparts for necks. Hate to say it, but you really can't cheap out on necks, get a Warmouth, never had any issues with their stuff.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    FerruleCat and 7dollarbologna like this.
  16. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I used to have a mighty mite on my bullet bass, It played fine, you could tell it was cheaply made though (bad wood selection)

17. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    -If you decide to get another Mighty Mite, order the heel "not drilled" you will get a better fit if you do it. (or tech)

18. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

How about Musikraft? I think you can get a nice jazz neck for about $250.

19. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    The heel measures 2 29/64" on my calipers, and the pocket is spot on 2 1/2". If MM heels are specd to be narrow, that's a deal breaker. I thought since they are "licensed by Fender," they would fit.

20. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I assumed that as well!