1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jeff Caxide of Isis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kevoh, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kevoh

kevoh

Mar 16, 2009
    Chicagoland area
    Ok well first of all i just downloaded (whatever you do it too. and bands make next to nothing from album sales. and theres a chance i may still buy it.) an advance copy of Isis' new album Wavering Radiance. And from what I've heard so far it's awesome. This band has yet to dissapoint me. Ever since i caught on with Oceanic, I've been hooked. And jesus, Panopticon blew me away, and really inspired me. But back to the matter at hand.

Jeff Caxide. While this guy may not be doing the most technical things on bass, he has KILLER tone. I absolutely love it. And even though he's not necessarily shredding, he's no chump. But does anyone know whats going on in that bass rig of his? I think he's playing a music man...and I'm pretty sure he plays a music man through an aguilar, but im not positive on the specs. and i know hes running some pedals too...definitely a delay. but yeah, your thoughts?

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Melbourne, FL.
    Search in the effects forum, this has been covered several times.

3. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    EBMM Stingray and a pick...add some delay and chorus and youre pretty much "there"

I think he was rocking SVTs when I saw him, but I cant remember

yup SVTs:

4. kevoh

kevoh

Mar 16, 2009
    Chicagoland area
    hmm. he is rocking the svt there. i wonder when thats from, because i thought he was actually endorsed by aguilar...i could be wrong though.

5. he strings his stingray with a low B not sure about amps at the momment, I love this guys playing and tone.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    :rollno:

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Melbourne, FL.
    So, I'm not alone in thinking this was sorta dickish? I know exactly what Caxide uses, every little detail...I'm just not tellin' the OP. :D

8. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    Britney, Christina, and the like may not make a lot of $$ off of their CD sales but artists like Isis that are signed to small indie labels depend on every avenue of income they have.

I realize you're a fan and will "most likely" buy the CD when it hits the streets but maybe make sure that you turn the "most likely" into a definitely will buy.

and the last I remember, Jeff was also playing his sig. Sage bass(es) as well.

10. you should buy the vinyl as well, and some shirts as an apology. do you think isis and bands of that ilk work as hard as they do as a personal favour for you or something?

11. BTW, for personally knowing some guys in the underground scene, I know for a fact they do not make any money on the cd sales and the company simply pays to record the album and distributes it. Don't get me wrong, I buy cd's I really enjoy (aka I buy about 1 or 2 cd's per month, which is much much more than most of the people), so I bought in The Absence of Truth. But it wasn't for the band, I like quality sound, that's all and I wanted them to keep on recording, which they wouldn't do if they wouldn't have the budget given by the record company. Anyway, back on topic...

I know that he stopped using SVT's since they were always breaking down and started using an Ampeg pre with an ampeg power amp.

12. kevoh

kevoh

Mar 16, 2009
    Chicagoland area
    ok i know for a fact bands....large OR small....make typically AT MOST 10% of album sales. and i also know that alot of more underground bands...the likes of isis...actually support music downloading becuase it can open the eyes of potential new fans alot easier. besides, i would MUCH rather support a band by buying merch, going to concerts, or even buying vinyl. if you want to keep on buying cds, have at it. enjoy your soon-to-be dead media. and if you must know, i actually own 2 isis albums on cd, i own a hoodie, AND i've seen them twice. but thanks :)

AND ya know what else? RECORD LABELS ARE GOING UNDER!!! :) which is really good news. theyve been ripping off bands for years. and now this makes for more touring, and more bands doing their own thing. There are some big changes going on in the music industry...and i couldnt be happier.

13. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ok, do you want a cookie or something?

ok...

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Oooh, you own a hoodie and two CDs? I've clearly been put in my place. FYI: I've also seen them live a couple of times, and I own more than two CDs of theirs, so if you want to do the I'm-a-bigger-fan-than-you game I have no problem with that. :)

The problem I have with your post has nothing to do with music piracy, but more that you got the album before it was released ti the public. You're not a reviewer, or a booking agent, or (I'd wager) involved in the industry at all, so you have no business getting a copy. Leaking music is just disrespectful to everyone involved.

Not to mention the blatant ignorance in your post: even if the band only sees 10% of the money from the album sales, thinking of it in strictly monetary terms is a narrow and limited way of looking at it. Strong album sales indicate a large fanbase, which allows the band to get better gigs and receive more money from the label to make the albums that you have come to know and love. If the albums aren't selling, the band gets dropped.

Aaron runs a successful niche label--they don't have a huge budget to begin with. Hell, neither does Ipecac. Not buying the CDs is only going to hurt the ability of the bands that you love to make the music that you enjoy.

I'll download live bootlegs and unreleased material, but I'd never illegally download an in-print album that I could easily find in a store. Justify it however you want, but you're part of the plague.

If the band decides to release the album for free (streaming it or offering a low-bitrate copy for download), that's an entirely different story. With the attention to detail that goes into each and every Isis related release, I can't see them condoning what you do.

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You personally know some guys in the underground scene? Then you should probably know that the record label expects to be paid back. If no one buys the album, then the bands are going to make less money from shows.

Not to mention the current economic situation makes touring much more of a gamble than it has been in the past. And once the gas prices get back up to where they were before this recession, you're looking at a lot of groups who simply can't afford to tour often or very far from their home base.

16. ipecac records pays their artists very well. They save a lot of money by not doing stuid stuff, so they can pay their artists.

Back on topic....Jeff kicks ass. he is the guy that made me want a boss ps3....and i got it. I really enjoy the tremolo tones he is getting into on some new songs. And his tones and grooves are great.

17. kevoh

kevoh

Mar 16, 2009
    Chicagoland area
    ACTUALLY...strong ticket sales indicate a large fanbase a little better....especially these days with the music industry in the state that it is. Do your research man...record labels are going under. Soon to be a thing of the past. Look this isnt meant to be some sort of contest. I think your sitting a little high on that throne of yours. Downloading happens, whether you agree with it or not...and its going to be happening for a long time. And as far as you being offended by the fact that I got an advance copy...well, tough i guess. It's not like I spoiled anything for you by describing each track in detail or something. I merely said that i really enjoyed it. So maybe you should do a little less judging, get your facts straight, and worry a little more about yourself, friend. Skullet is right...this is, after all, supposed to be about Jeff Caxide.

18. So lets discuss Jeff and his greatness..........

19. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    How do you convince a booking agent to book your band if your record sold three copies and this is your first tour?

Not everyone can be Trent Reznor or Radiohead--both from a touring perspective and from a recording angle. Really good sounding records cost a lot of money and take a lot of equipment (which also costs money) to make. Get rid of the labels and the money men, and you're back to having every band sound like Minor Threat. (I love Minor Threat, but they're not making amazingly atmospheric records.) I will admit, I'm giddy as a schoolgirl to learn that the new album doesn't suck, but you shouldn't have opened your post with such a fail-worthy statement, trying to defend downloading something you have no right to.

Back on topic:
    Vegas answered your questions about his rig in the first post. We know what he's using, do a search for "Caxide" in the effects forum. It's all there. You could also check out the thread on his signature Sage bass in the luthier's forum.

So do a search.

20. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Melbourne, FL.
    No thanks...your mom gave me plenty this morning. :D