1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jimmy Thackery and Barden PU's????

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by LilRay, Sep 19, 2010.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Greg,

Caught Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers on "Jammin' at Hippie Jack's" last night, and it looked like he had Bardens in his Strat?

I know the 'Shed was on the same Bill with JT & the Drivers a while back, did you notice this?

I may be mistaken, but it sho' looked like Bardens to me.;)

:D

God Bless, Ray

2. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep, Jimmy has used Bardens for a long, long time (going back to The Nighthawks days, I think). I think that's where Danny first heard of them...

I bought my first set of Bardens after I noticed Danny putting them in a few of his new guitars in a row...

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    All the cool kids have 'em!

4. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I wonder what a dual coil P4 Barden (to fit in a Roscoe Route ) would sound like:bag:????

Dreaming? I'm only dreaming....

God Bless, Ray

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I still want to buy two P4 sized blocks of ebony, and rout out under them for Bardens........

6. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    "Jammin' at Hippie Jack's"?

Now that's an original name for a venue! I suppose that Jack is a hippie? :)

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I dunno if he's a hippie, but I'd say he's definately a strange duck :smug:.

I think Jack was one of the original lineup to COMPLETE.:eyebrow::eek:

God Bless, Ray

8. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Speaking of strange names ....

Where did the name for "Rocket Music" come from?

Has Greg ever explained the story behind the name?

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Ya got me on that one, Joe. Rocket Music existed mainly as a local, beginner-oriented store (i.e. low-end gear) for about 10 years before Danny and I bought it in 2007. We immediately set about adding some better product lines and getting online with our biz.

Genz Benz was here when we bought the place, but we beefed up the inventory quite a bit. Suhr was barely here, too (no guitars in stock, just able to order them if needed). The previous owner wanted one, so he became a dealer in name only. His parting words were "have one in stock for people to try, but it's mainly a special order line". So of course we immiedately ordered 6-8 Suhr guitars, and the rest is history. We now like to stock 15-20 Suhrs at a time. :bassist:

On the bass front, getting involved on TB is when bass gear really took off for us. That coincided with us picking up Roscoe & Gadow, riding the Shuttle wave from Genz-Benz, and most recently came Bergantino and TC Electronic.

I guess we're ready for the next step, whatever that will be. We've been looking at some commercial real estate around town. We need more space if we're going to add any more lines. We're currently busting at the seams, and our location isn't exactly the Taj Mahal. We'd like to head more in the direction of our dream location (G-Guitars in CT has an AMAZING vibe in their store, that's our goal). We'd also like to own rather than rent. Yada-yada... Hopefully something comes of that sometime in the next 6-12 months.

10. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Move to Georgia and you've got a permanent store bum. :D

(Wishful thinking).

God Bless, Ray

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I haven't been to G-Guitars in CT yet but it's on my list of things to do. But I can say that their web presence is terrible. I really don't want to "Call for price". I absolutely hate the hide the ball method of retail. The two sites that I like are Rocket Music and The Perfect Bass. Nice sites, can navigate fairly easily and can get an accurate price online so I know what I'm up against and it's usually up to date as to what is in stock.

Did you design the website and keep it updated?

12. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks!

On our website - Danny did most of the layout work, and I do most of the photographing and detailed listing work. It's just something you just have to stay on top of, a stale site is no good for anyone. I, too, hate weeding through dozens of instruments that were sold long ago. I understand why that can be valuable (it says "look, we're a succesful dealer who have sold some of these in the past!"). But when you can't tell the sold ones from the available ones, it's just confusing (if not misleading).

The "Call For Price" paradigm is almost what you have to do with some manufacturers. Lots of manufacturers tell you the minimum price you can advertise, and lots of times that's considerably higher than what you would happily take for the item. "Call For Price" is basically a plea of "please make me an offer because I'm not allowed to show you my best price".

Here at Rocket, that's like Plan C. Plan A is dealing with discountable brands like Genz-Benz that allow us to show our best price as long as we do it somewhat sneakily (add the item to the cart, and you see our best price). Plan B is dealing with guys who have a Minimum Sale Price (i.e. Roscoe and Bergantino), so there's no BS at all (the price we show is THE price). But sometimes, the gear is so cool we'll carry it and do Plan C. We usually show the minimum price and just hope folks will ask us for our best price.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's hard to tell which are Plan C items. :eyebrow:

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    In general, if it's not Roscoe or Bergantino, AND if it doesn't give you a disount when you add it to the cart... it's Plan C.

And I agree, that's hard to tell (or at the very least, it's inconvenient).

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021