1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JMJ Signature Road Worn Mustang!

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by winterburn69, Jul 13, 2017.

1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    GregC likes this.
  2. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Congrats JMJ! That might be the coolest sig bass ever...

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, dudes. I'm pretty freaking stoked.

4. How close to your actual bass is it? They went pretty microscopic with Nile Rodger's guitar.

5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    very, very close.

6. Awesome. Good price tag too! I'll start saving :bassist:

jmjbassplayer likes this.
  7. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I will be getting in on this one! I've been waiting for a Mustang like this. Very cool JMJ!

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I think you're gonna dig it!

9. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Whoa, way cool. I picked up a Fender Mustang PJ and love the form factor. I will definitely have to pick one of your sigs up.

Do you happen to know if it's got a Rosewood board or not? With CITES in the picture, doesn't hurt to ask.

10. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    It was interesting to hear you talk with Reverb about how well Mustangs sit in the mix for rock, alongside synths, etc.. They're all over a lot of classic Country records where they also sound great.

cbnutt likes this.
  11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, it is rosewood.

NKBassman and Antisyzygy like this.
  12. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    True that. Yeah, it's all about the fit. I can get great "Bedroom tone" on lots of instruments for days. But I'm wearing the producer/engineer hat, and I've got to get things to be sympathetic and enhancing to everything else.

wraub likes this.
  13. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I primarily play upright, on that side of things we talk a lot about getting a good "core sound", which really refers to producing a clear center of the note. I think Mustangs, especially with flats, do this really well.

14. Yammer

Yammer

Jul 28, 2017
    Hi Justin, I opened an account just to ask a few questions about your signature instrument. Congratulations by the way!
    I'm new to Mustang bass territory, although my very first bass was a Musicmaster. Could you share any info on the pickups? I'm not sure if or how the pickups have changed over the years from the originals to the Japanese Mustangs I recently learned about, to your signature bass. A couple weeks ago, I was planning on buying the new Mustang P/J and changing out the "P" to the ones found in Mustangs, but now I may be tempted over to your new offering.

15. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi there, thank you.

The pickup is a replication in output, resistance and tone to the original one found in my '66, which I think (and Fender felt very strongly) sounds great. Duncan did the heavy lifting to make it happen, and they nailed it pretty quickly.

geof_ and Yammer like this.
  16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Welcome to TB! There's more discussion on the JMJ 'stang (including from the man himself) in this thread: New Road Worn Fender: Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang

17. Yammer

Yammer

Jul 28, 2017
    Thanks very much! And thanks for pointing me there, lots of great info, Justin. It has been fun to nerd out on the glory of short scale! I found some Klira bass brethren on another thread as well.

FWIW, I ended up picking up a new Mustang P/J for super cheap, I couldn't turn it down. Still need to throw on some flatwounds--sound very P-Bassy at the moment (duh), but with the nice short scale feel. the neck is a little bite-y around the edges, could use a fret file. Intonation was not spectacular out of the box either, but no biggie. Pretty great for the money! I could maybe drop in a Mustang pickup where the Precision pickup is, and maybe even a Musicmaster pickup above it. I would have no hesitation modifying this one.

18. Yammer

Yammer

Jul 28, 2017
    ...but I'm still going to check out the JMJ Mustang at NAMM, if not sooner if I can find it somewhere!

19. Yammer

Yammer

Jul 28, 2017
    I figured out the slight 'bummer' on the P/J. No body or arm contour! This makes it more like the musicmaster in this regard. I can't believe I didn't notice before. I looked at some pictures of the made in Japan versions, they don't have the contour either.
    EDIT: I did a little digging, contour was not added until late 60's.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  20. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    Definitely thinking about getting one of these. Do we know how limited the run will be? Wondering if I have to preorder or if I will be able to find one in the wild to try out.