John Stirratt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluesbass99, Sep 5, 2010.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Has anyone ever hear John Stirratt play a bad bass line? I've been a Wilco fan for a few years, but everytime I listen to John Stirratt play, I am really impressed with how melodic he plays without overplaying the song.

Is that an Ampeg SVT-VR he plays? What are those Ampeg cabs he plays through?

Great player and most definitely underrated/underappreciated, in my opinion.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    on the wilco documentary DVD he uses an Orange Head and 4x12 cab. love his playing too :)

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Saw them live in June of 2005. That show sold me. Ever since They've been one of my favorite bands; John of course being a nice chunk of the appeal for me.

4. Oh ya, he knows how to put together great parts.

When I saw them last he was using Orange. The time before that, I thought he had an old SVT, not a VR. I can't be sure though, memory could be failing me.

5. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    +1 to the above - and he does it all while doing all the 2nd vocal harmonies live.
    When I've seen Wilco he's always had an older SVT with both cabs on their sides on the floor.

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Love that guy....all the way back to his late arrival to Uncle Tupelo!

Check out his other project called The Autumn Defense. A little different that Wilco, but pretty good.

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Of course he's a badass. He's from NOLA like moi. You should check out his sister Laurie (Blue Mountain). Great band and she's a pretty good bassist in her own right.

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Blue_Mountain_%28band%29.jpg

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm adding to this thread because I'm certainly a fan, and because I met Stirratt yesterday. He came by the Lakland GTG for a while--he's an endorser, and John Pirrucello, who runs Lakland now, plays pedal steel in Autumn Defense.

I talked to him for a couple minutes. He was playing vintage Fenders for a while, particularly Js, but said he's gone back to his Glaub w/Dark Star (his main player for years) lately as well as a Joe Osborn. (Wilco has been recording again recently.) And he signed the back of the headstock of my Glaub w/DS. Very cool guy!

10. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm a fan also. John gets a great tone no matter what he uses.
    I've also seen him with a Hofner Club bass.

11. Flatpicker

Flatpicker

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm a HUGE Wilco guy and love what he does, so well said above about him playing perfect parts without overplaying the song and laying down great vocal harmonies. I've for sure seen him play a custom Lakland live, he also plays an old '68 or so Fender P that is actually Jeff Tweedy's and Wilco has been using since the Uncle Tupelo days.

I read an interview where he said he plays through '70s Ampeg SVTs on tour but that in studio he records a lot with an old Fender Twin Reverb guitar amp.

12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Great to see a little Blue Mountain love. I'm originally from Mississippi and have been to more Blue Mountain shows than I care to admit and they never let me down. Great Americana.

13. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but anyone know what strings John uses?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021