1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jule Amps Monique part 5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 27, 2013.

1. juledude

juledude Creator of the Monique Preamplifer and Bass Amps. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Owner and creator Jule Amps. Creator of the Monique Bass Preamplifier
    Thanks for being there my friend. And thanks for all the "first" ideas. :cool:

nalapit13 likes this.
  2. juledude

juledude Creator of the Monique Preamplifer and Bass Amps. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hall E at NAMM is downstairs and a whole lot less ear-abusive than Hall D above. The ambient DB level above was about 90db with regular excursions into 100+ db. That means that downstairs where we were it was still loud, but folks were able hear themselves play. The new little 500 watt power amp showed itself to be quite capable of keeping up with even that venue. And it is Hypex inside, so it works.

saltymonkey and allenhumble like this.
  3. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    One more Thank you. Thank you Marco Basses and especially Ian for making sure we had incredible instruments to play.

Passinwind likes this.
  4. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    It even made me sound good. This is Ian, who (unlike me) really does know how to play. Ian.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Even with the headphone amp in the booth and a good pair of Skull Candy's NAMM really is a difficult environment to do justice to a good evaluation. The first batch of both Simone and the-yet-unnamed 500 watt amp will be available soon. We will all know a whole bunch more very soon.

One more pic. The largest picture at the Ibanez booth was of Dave Swift. Dave was probably the first man in England to start playing Monique. Immense star largely from his work with Jools Holland. A great guy. I quickly found that if Dave thinks it's OK a whole lot of other people will give it a try. Thanks Dave. And oh yes, the somewhat smaller person is the Fabulous M.
    dave.

6. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    There was a suggestion to call it the "ugly" knob. Might even have come from me.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  7. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Tubes will live in a very sturdy cage. Exposed only for the NAMM Show.

nalapit13 and maisbass like this.
  8. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The metal work that will keep the innards safe will be ready soon. Then we start shipping.

TimothyGroovy, GBass001 and maisbass like this.
  9. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    :hyper:

Passinwind likes this.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sounds like a fun time, Jule. :) I hope you get some rest and recovery.

...on the technical side, when you're talking about the EQ controls having some drive component, does that mean when you get 'above a certain point it pushes some distortion in that band/area, or does that mean when the drive control is engaged it does that?

juledude likes this.
  11. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The little beige box with the XLR plugged into it is just a headphone amp. I built it to help with the testing of Moniques in the shop. Nope - not for sale. :D

nalapit13 likes this.
  12. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes. The EQ drive is dependent upon the setting of the Drive Control. If the Drive is turned off, the EQ drive capability is also turned off.

One of the excellent ideas that came from NAMM is to make the Simone Full Off position of the Drive control duplicate the full drive of Monique. This is instead of having the Drive Control capable of stopping all audio out. That is something like Monique Sensitivity full open, pulled out, with the Line Out Push/Pull also pulled out.

In other words the Drive Control starts where Monique leaves off.

Haroldo and kevk like this.
  13. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The reason I am able to reply today is that it can be done in a lounge chair. Legs kinda went away down there at NAMM. So yes, I'm resting up.

BurningSkies likes this.
  14. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Strangely, the microphonics can still be found in these 6AK5 pentodes. However because of their small size and the greatly reduced mass of the internal elements of the tube, the microphonics are less destructive. This is in contrast to microphonics in physically larger tubes like 9 pins or octal power output tubes where microphonics turn the audio to complete nastiness.

BurningSkies likes this.
  15. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    By all accounts that picture of Dave must be close to life size...

Bass Boy and juledude like this.
  16. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Safe portability is the objective.

The metal work conversation right now involves a small cage-like enclosure to protect the tubes, and, in addition, a larger "cover" to protect the knobs, switches, and all the rest. I want it safe to be thrown across the stage.

BurningSkies likes this.
  17. juledude

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ahh! You have met Dave Swift.

He truly is a delightful man.

18. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Not personally, but know people who have.

19. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    It was a pleasure talking with you. Kinda cool that i had an idea that could come to fruit action.

I mean, you had some really great ideas, they’re all yours. Haha!!

juledude likes this.
  20. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ

If Skip doesn’t return that power amp or headphone amp, i swear i don’t have it.......

juledude likes this.