1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just because you are talented it doesn't mean you have a brain

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by crow01, Oct 7, 2010.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Went to a bar the other day.

There was a band there gigging something similar to Bela Fleck. I mean it was friggin astounding.

The bass player played just like Wooten. I was like woow dude.

Then I realized, hey these people are really young. They almost look like teenagers.

In fact they were.

After they are done I went to talk to the bassist. Some 18 yo kid.

Me: Dude, that was unbelievable.
    Kid: thanks
    Me: Teach me man, I will pay you.
    Kid: Mmm what do you mean?
    Me: i want you to teach me...you know give me some music lessons.
    Kid: Well I am not teaching right now.
    Me: What do you mean....I mean I will pay you you know. How much you want?
    Kid: Yeah...but I am not teaching lessons right now so...
    Me: (mm ???) I know that's ok. But you know on your free time, as a side job. I will pay you what $20 hr or how much?
    Kid: yeah....I am not teaching right now so...
    Me: psssss. Ok whatever. See ya.

Weird kid. Sure talented, but I guess he didn't want to earn some $.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Jeez, maybe the guy just dosen't like giving lessons...... sometimes money dosen't matter.

3. He's weird because he doesn't teach.....M-kay........he's weird......

4. KwinS

KwinS

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Maybe he just doesn't want to teach?

5. Keldur16

Keldur16

May 7, 2009
    Tallahassee Fl
    I have been in that situation. I get asked to give lessons after I do gigs, and i say no because I am a full time college student plus i work a part time jobs plus i play at church plus i do alot gigs to make extra cash so im really busy. So i don't really have the time or energy to stretch myself out any more. So an extra twenty bucks an hour is not really worth the money i would lose if i collapse from exhaustion and cant work or gig for a week and i have to miss school. I understand where the kid is coming from.

6. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    Also just because you have $$ doesn't mean you get what you want. I'd have been a little weirded out by that conversation too.

7. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    :confused: So?

There are a multitude of reasons he might not want to teach. First in my mind he has other stuff going on and spends his spare time playing instead of teaching? Makes sense to me..

8. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Best response so far.

*slow clap*

9. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    all good valid points. maybe the kid is a full time student and doesn't have time or he just didn't need the $.
    All I wanted was to exploit his brain.

10. He's young. You were probably intimidating. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, but young people haven't experienced situations like that before and you being older made him feel imtimidated by you pressuring him for lessons.

Maybe ask who he took lessons from next time. He says "no", you quit pushing him and simply find out where he learned and go to that source.

11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    If some random person came up to me saying "teach me, man", I' probably have the same reaction. It's weird to just do that all of a sudden to someone. Besides, he might not even care about your money. He could be rich for all you know. The title of this thread is a great example of the pot calling the kettle black.

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    LOL

I think I've been in that same situation - I just was done teaching and had no interest in doing it again... This kid may just have not had the "teaching skills" or interest. No everyone is a teacher, even if they are a player.

13. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Offering $20 for an hour lesson is chump change.

After the 2nd 'no', my subsequent refusals would've become progressively more ... um ... forceful.

14. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I've had this happen to me a bunch of times...I usually just direct the person to someone who actually does teach lessons. Just because you know how to play, doesn't mean you'd be good at teaching someone else how to play.

15. OP, I would have been weirded out also.

16. Just because someone is good at something doesn't mean they are good at teaching that something. As anyone who's been to college knows, some instructors and professors may be experts in their subject matter, but are completely horrible teachers. Teaching itself is a skill, just like playing an instrument is.

17. Very true. I tried teachng a kid guitar once. Never again.

18. I would say that he does have a brain. He knows what he wants to do with his time, and teaching is not it. It's not always about money, and it is not weird to prioritize your time in ways that are meaningful to you.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Maybe he was Greek! :bag:

20. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Uh, I think you're the one out of line here. My first post said you were a dick. I edited that one.