Just discovered Jimmy Haslip

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rodoherty1, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

Bit of a pointless post ... but there is a question at the end of this rainbow.

I've just bought my first Yellowjackets CD and I am so impressed by Jimmy Haslip's confidence, taste and rock-solid groove

I knew from Bass Player magazine that he's a technical monster but I love the way he lies nice an low in the mix and delivers every note with such confidence and zero ego.

I'm a bit of a newbie to Jazz but I can (just about) work through a chord chart. Would it be worth investing in one or two of the YellowJackets chord books? Would it be no different in style or difficulty to any of the Real Books (I own New Real Book Vol.1)?

2. congrats dude, you just discovered one of the coolest bassists on the planet. Check out jimmyhaslip.com - if you ask him a question he will always answer you!

My favorite stuff of his is on the Yellowjackets' 'Four Corners', 'Politics', and 'The Spin' records. Sweet stuff like 'Prayer for El Salvador' (The Spin) and great BASS playing on 'Foreign Correspondent' (Politics).

He also is on a record called Jing Chi with Robben Ford and Vinne Colatuia (sp?).

Among others. He has many, many credits to his name. One of my all-time favorites, he has it all, groove, feel, chops... :bassist:
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    check out mint jam and the mint jam lead sheet book available from their website. great stuff :bassist:
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Haslip has the knack of making something in 4/4 sound 'odd'...while also making something odd sound smooth & even. He & ex-'Jackets' drummer William Kennedy are masters of this.
    Haslip can swing, funk it up, rock out, groove, & solo. He has a lot of it covered.

I think there's 2 Jing-Chi albums out; I have the 1st(some of it sounds like Cream on 'roids)...a LIVE one came ot over the Summer(IIRC).
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, and one more thing, in case you didn't know......he's a lefty who plays a righty bass upside down!
  6. I've been listening to the first Yellowjackets album lately and it makes my head hurt to think about how he does some of that slap stuff on there.
  7. :confused:

Ex drummer? :meh:

William Kennedy fit that band like nobody's business. Sorry to hear he left.

BTW for Jimmy Haslip fans: he has an album called "Arc" that is nice listening.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Man, he's been gone for several years now. Their new cat is Marcus Baylor who plays in a very similar style so they haven't lost a step in that department.
  9. Just a reminder to those of us who live in Spokane WA and those of us who don't... our culture and awareness are 'several years' behind modern times :oops: :) .
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Pffft! You think your head hurts now, try listening to Keith Horne. He's another cat who is a lefty and plays a righty bass upside down and does way more slapping than Jimmy Haslip. In fact Jimmy doesn't slap much these days. Keith Horne does some incredible sh** that has to been seen to be believed! Keith Horne. There is a Real Audio video file there.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ... I miss the days of seeing Secrets & Keith Horne at the Va. Beach Jewish Mother. Literally, I used to sit 3 feet away. It is a sight to see someone play/slap with the strings reversed. For a while, I thought about reversing mine, too! ;)
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Over time, it's gotten a little better...but Norfolk can sometimes be a few years behind the times, too.
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No sh**! I moved here 3 years ago from NY! Huge difference in music scenes! Circles are small but tight as a mutha! Hell, in NYC, I could put up an ad about forming a band (any genre) and have a whole band in a weeks time! Down here, Cats either be hiding or spreading themselves thin playing in every frikkin' band in the neighborhood! Takes forever hooking up.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree there...I used to play in a couple projects; now I'm probably, as you say, one of those "hiding out". I am in a period of ennui; I've grown weary of those who-
    a)Want to play the SOS; they won't play anything different because they can't or because of there's no money in playing something outside their comfort zone.
    b)Want so & so in their band because so & so is 'the s***'. Granted, so & so may be 'the s***", but so & so is already in 3 bands & is a notorious band jumper(Grass is always greener when the green is always greener?)

I can on & on...but I won't. ;)
  15. Thanks for the info, Lads. I'm looking forward to get into their back catalogue.

Can anyone recommend other bands with a similar style/background to the Yellowjackets? I've always been a fan of Instrumental music and I'm finding myself leaning a little closer to Jazz this weather.

All the best ...

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm...the Yellowjackets are kinda unique in their style and may be the only modern contemporary jazz band doing what they do. If you can find some Flim & The BB's cd's, their style was similar/parallel to The Yellowjackets. Vital Information is another eclectic band with a similar but more fusiony style. Steps Ahead was another band that was deep and fusiony as well. The David Blamires Group, Turning Point, Metro (my favorite band), anything by George Duke, Chuck Loebs earlier cd's, Fourplay (hit and miss) are all non radio conforming artists who have put out some excellent music. some of these cd's will be hard to find but if you search hard enough, something will come up.

If you desire some easier listening not so deep music, I can recommend some Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, Dotsero, T-Square, Casiopea, Mezzoforte, Incognito (yeah they did a couple of instrumental cd's), Urban Knights, Pieces Of A Dream, Special EFX, Acoustic Alchemy, Kombo & Shakatak.
  17. :cool: Yup, good stuff (I have all of those).

Oceans "Ridin the Tide"
    Kilauea "Tropical Pleasures"
    Backstreet "What we Like"
    Kit Walker "Dancing on the Edge of the World", "Fire in the Lake"
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Early Steps Ahead was acoustic...my favourite period of Steps.

In addition to the bands mentioned by DW & Bimplizkit-
    ...there are a couple Dave Samuels albums with both Haslip & Will Kennedy. Kinda in a Spyro Gyra vibe(no doubt).
    There is also Bob Mintzer 'solo' album with Haslip, Kennedy, & Russell Ferrante as the 'backing band'...basically, a Yellowjackets' album under Mintzer's name.

Something with a little more 'hair' on it is Tribal Tech, although their 1st 2 albums might be close to what the Yellowjackets were doing back in the daze of Politics, Four Corners, & Shades.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

<Bones McKoy voice>Dammit Jim, don't make me pull out my cd binders!</Bones McKoy voice>
  20. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    There is a Yellowjackets Songbook that includes parts for every player on about 20 songs. see http://www.jazzbooks.com/scripts/search.asp?page=2&category=7

The Realbook does often include separate bass or keyboard parts, but I would still recommend the Yellowjackets Songbook.

I would also recommend checking out Jeff Lorber. Also, some of the Zawinul Syndicate and later Weather Report cds may interest you.