1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a new Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettBelanger, Oct 23, 2013.

1. I went in to Guitar Center a week and a half ago or so and bought a SBMM Ray 34ca because I've sort of always wanted a music man bass and it was cheap and sounded good (and there were no actual music mans in stock). I liked the low end a lot but the G and D strings were getting lost in gig settings which I soon found was common with stingrays. I took the bass back and decided to order a step up and get an actual EBMM Stingray H 4. Love the low end on this one even more and the tone in general is great. The G still seems a little thin but manageable. Also got a new Micro Pog that it sounds sweet through!

2. Pics?

3. JTC22

JTC22

Aug 8, 2013
    I bought a Classsic a few months ago, had it set up with flats and it's all about the eq. I can get it to sound deep and fat like a P-Bass without losing the top strings with the onboard treble knob set between -1 and 2. If I want more presence up top without clank I'm striking a fine balance with that treble knob, so it's nice when you have a simple tone stack on the amp to help manage tone settings quickly, to get from James Jamerson to Louis Johnson tones in a blink.

People who say Classic Stingrays are one-trick ponies don't play with knobs, I guess.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I see no bass

5. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Pics or it didnt happen.

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I too "play with knobs"
    I switched to G&L because of taylorin' opportunities on L2000/2500

Yet the reason why I didin't get into MusicMans was them lackin' lowend (or at least in the percentage I want it to be) while sure no prob for me with their highs...

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Congrats on your bass ........... J Lepre is right though - what bass (no pics = .......... ?)

If you are losing the apparent D and G where you're standing you most likely have too much scoop in your amp or v possibly too much bass boost on the bass.

Last night I went to a jam session with some mates from a blues band. Nice amp - tc electronic - took my Ray HH LE 2007 - but oh my when I first plugged in - the amp had treble to about 75% boost and mid boosted bass cut!! Sounded great once sorted. The most telling thing was the guy running the jam had an SBMM sub ray - he sounded great with it but another guy got up and used it and it sounded awful - all boomy and unbalanced. Mind you a guy got up with a fretless jazz and that simply whined away in an unfocused and slightly inaudible way. I got back up again and found the amp was all over the place again.

Sorry to hijack your NBD thread but I think my experience indicates how people can screw up the sound of a decent bass by over boosting frequencies either on a bass or an amp. Plus my first experience of hearing and holding an SBMM sub ray was v positive generally (ignoring one guys operator error!!)

You should be able to get a great sound out of a Ray of SBMM one - just be careful with technique and importantly - EQ choices. And let's see some pics :)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No pics! You lie!

9. image_zps3d2664c2.

10. BDT

BDT Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Sweet bass. Enjoy!

11. Nice!

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice!!

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very nice

14. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Sweet!

15. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Nice :) also like your tea-towels, nice choice

16. Agreed!

Congrats on the beautiful new bass and having good taste in octave pedals.

17. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Very nice indeed!! (And I also like the bass!)

Seriously, that is a gorgeous bass!

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    NICE!!!

19. I think I just got some GAS!

20. Absolutely gorgeous!