Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just heard bill dickens for the first time

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
  2. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    Three words: switch to decaf.

3. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    He definately have good skill but his music is as exciting that anal c*** would be without the funny lyrics.

4. That's true.

He's got technique, but his music doesn't have much feel to it. You know?

Oh, and a*** c*** is definately a great band, one of my fav's. :D

This is a *Mostly Harmless* Website... I had to edit that band name

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    He is a great player, his solos are usually quite good, it's when he turns his hyper mode on that I get disinterested.

sure it is neat he's doing such fast playing on a 7 string yadda yadda, but it gets to the point when it's more of just speedy clicking noises and not really any content.

but I do dig his more...erm..melodic playing.

6. He's more interesting to watch than to listen to.

Ultra jazz hands! :eek:

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    He's a fabulous musician.
    He is hyperskilled.
    He is way impressive.

Technically speaking, he kills me.
    Musically speaking, he doesn't "talk" to me at all.

Cheers,
    JL

8. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    Thanks for sharing that link with us Matt.Bill is an example of utter speed driven by absolute talent...nothing less.I did read some follow-up posts on this thread and can only say that the green eyed monster has reared its head in the form of negative comment,musical psuedo intellectualism and unjustified dismissal.If what Bill did in that solo was not considered 'good' then what is good;the bass line in 'Jailhouse Rock'? I remain confused.That said,stay cool.Scotland's slap bassist,"Fallon".

9. Don't get me wrong, the man is insanely talented.

We all know that much. :p

All I'm saying is that regardless of a musicians level of mastery, they're (IMO) going to strive towards the same goal that we all do. That is, to accomidate their own musical desires. As a musician grows, complexity usually becomes more desirable. It's normal. Bill Dickens has reached the point of insanity as far as musical complexity goes. ;)

When you get down to it, we're all just trying to make ourselves happy with the music we make, and that's what Dickens does.

Just because I don't appreciate his music as much as, say, Victor Wooten doesn't mean that I'm dismissing his ability, or bashing on him in any way; what makes him happy tends to bore me because it seems excessive. That's all.

Sorry if that was too wordy, or if I sounded rude. I'm just trying to get my point across. :p

-BF

10. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    Goodness gracious, fallon!! Are we going to argue that whole five-page speed=talent thread all over again?

First of all, I know of no bassist who considers Bill untalented. I could be totally wrong about this, but your basic message seems to be that talent can be measured solely by the degree of physical dexterity one possesses, and I think that's absurd.

A guy named Adrian Davidson held the world record for fastest bass playing at 31 notes per second. (Maybe he still does - who knows?) But the point is, have you ever heard anyone say that he was therefore the world's most talented bassist? Most have probably never even heard of him.

I also know of an audition where a sax player with a Masters Degrees who could play the most difficult Stravinsky without a hitch, completely choked when a very simple chart was put in front of him. How talented was he?

Okay, to suit your fancy, here's something nice: Bill has a really deep understanding of harmony and chooses really cool notes and chord voicings. His blinding speed is very impressive indeed. He has mastered a wide variety of techniques. And yes, he is insanely talented.

But for me, he's not that interesting to listen to, because once the Shock and Awe campaign wears off, you've heard everything he can do. Ditto for the rest of the more-is-more crowd. There aren't going to be too many cool musical surprises down the road because the whole bag of tricks has been emptied onto the table from the get-go.

But then you look at a guy like Dave Pomeroy. Now there's a great talent. He's really not all that fast, but believe me, he can hold an audience captive with his solo bass music. I've seen it. Why? Because there's great variety in what he does, from the different basses he uses to the tones he creates with them, etc. The songs are interesting and connect emotionally with the audience. They are also quite distinct from one another. Very innovative stuff.

And what's wrong with the bassline to Jailhouse Rock, by the way?

11. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA

THAT I would like to see.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    So he's basically the "Yngwie" of bass?

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nope, that would be taking him out of context. Bill is a skilled studio musician who is capable of playing with great feel as well. He gets a lot of backlash for the (and I'll easily concede this point, though I enjoy them for what they are) overly technical nature of his solos. To dismiss him as a Yngwie type would be unfair. Check out credits (on his site), you'll see what I mean.

14. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    I've seen Buddah many times with band- without band. He can surely play...but he is still busier in a band /groove context than I would like- forget about the solos. He gets the "weapon of mass destruction" angle in sooner or later- its his "thing" his "identity", his "brand recognition"...at least he has one:) Its not my taste...I cant listen to him for very long...

Look...if high altitude carpet bombing from B52s is your thing thats fine..but personally, I'd rather see a few well- aimed, well-placed, laser guided licks drop in on a perfect target....

If The Buddah was hooked up to a piece of light artillary with rapid fire capability the US would have the Middle East under control in 5 days - tops.

Potentially the best field weapon to come around in 20 years....

This is pretty good:
    http://www.papabear.com/bassbook.html

15. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    I read an interview with him where he talks about his old drumming days. His bandmates got annoyed with him because he actually played a roll on the kick drum in an R&B tune!! :eek:

Can't contain his enthusiasm on any instrument, I guess...

16. well, i listened to him and yeah he is awesome as far as technique. I think for some of that solo he is melodicly awesome with some of those chords. I am amazed by his speed of slapping, but i don't know if that can transfer to the average joe's ears. I don't know if Dickens is going to impress the non-musicians (of course britney can do that) but I tend to go to the harmonic and melodic bass solos over speed. Right now I am thinking of my favorite guitar players, (yeah because I know more guitar solos than bass solos, so bear with me) I like all those blues players like Clapton, B.B. King and my local hero, Howard Luedtke. Sure they all can play fast, but it's what they play that makes the difference between them and well, me. I can play fast, and I am sure everyone here can. but can I play the right thing in there? probably not as well as I'd like to. so, in conclusion, yes, bill dickens has talent, but i don't care for the speed.
    Charlie

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Never. He's very talented. But his music is not "my world".

Cheers,
    JL

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Fair enough, fair enough. I've just read similar descriptions of Yngwie.

I listened to that clip and, although it really does nothing for me, I can certainly respect his talent.

For that style of playing, I'd much rather hear Victor or Oteil any day, but hey - that's me.

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I actually gotto see Bill with Gladys Knight a couple of years back and I gotta tellya"Bill held down the groove that anyone of us bass players would appreciate.At least I know I did.

20. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    That's my point;as most comments here very curiously lean in favour (favor in usa) of solid lines (and believe me I love Dave Pomeroy's playing....I think of the Bass day '97 video with him and Otiel)the fact remains that Bill Dickens can slow down and be as good as the best 'rythmn anchors' people quote.Lowerclef,if required or relevant,I will always argue the " five page speed=talent thread"... if debates are 'shut down',what will new-comers stand to learn or feel at ease to discuss on arrival at this great site? Stay cool nonetheless.Scotland's slowest, talentless slap bassist ;-)