Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just paid $3.85 a gallon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Soon it'll be as much as milk over here - ouch.

2. Yikes, I paid $2.80 the other day and I was contemplating selling a kidney.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it stuck around $3.29 for a few.... we just dipped down to $2.89 on the ride home :bassist:

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    we're down to about 3.09

5. 2.93 over here for regular.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yowsah!!! Yowsah!!

Maybe those earthy types riding their bikes around town have a good idea after all. :D

-Mike

7. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    you guys have it bad? Up here where at $1.16.

per litre.

1.16x4=$4.64

Ive had to put a instrument buying freeze so I can put gas in my chevy when I finally get it.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Still in the $3.20 range here.

I may have to ride my Horse to work soon.

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, if more of you turn into bike riding types it'll make gas cheaper for me! :D

10. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Bad math. At least for comparison purposes to prices posted in USD. If you use a more accurate number for your conversion factor from litres to gallons and then convert that from CAD to USD it's more like $3.70 USD. Still steep, but not quite $4.64.

Now if you really want to talk about expensive gas, go over to the UK where people are buying extra gas in preparation for upcoming fuel protests.

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Not to mention a gallon is more like 3.7854118L. :)

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's $3.49 around where I'm at. I was reading another post and it mentioned that gas in Iceland was around $9 a gallon.

13. UnsungZeros

I used 1 gallon = 3.78 litres and 1 USD = 1.18 CAD.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Holy crap! I thought it was bad around here because of the hurricane, but it's settled back down to $2.63 for regular.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I seem to remember hearing that Hawaii had had put a cap on gas prices. Was that not true, has the cap expired, or was it just set at $4 or something?

I figured when I read that they put the cap on that we'd start hearing stories of stations refusing to sell. I mean if it costs you $3.78 a gallon, and for guesses say that $.04 a gallon is typical profit, so you need to sell at $3.82 to stay in business. If they cap the price at $3.75, you're better off not selling gas.

16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    $2.77 in Hastings NE, but still over $3 by Interstate 80

17. UnsungZeros

I believe in Hawaii they put in weekly caps so prices don't make dramatic fluxuations. The cap moves up each week. I may be completely wrong about this one, so feel free to correct me.

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's $2.999 at the gas station up the street from my house. I'm hoping it'll be a little cheaper before I have to gas up for the NYC GTG. :)

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It's about $2.85 around town in central PA, a little higher in more "remote" areas. I'm not sure if it will be going up, down, or staying the same in the near future.

20. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Well guys ... welcome to the club ... we've been paying considerably more than that for years. You are all just too spoiled

In fact most of the world pays closer to the full (read: unsubsidized) cost of petrol that the US.

If the US were to properly price its petrol to include the cost of road and infrastructure building (which of course wouldn't be needed if there weren't cars) it would now be around $10 a gallon :crying: .

$3.85 is a bargain