1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just realized "cheap" pedals can rock.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rnilson, Jan 6, 2012.

1. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    So until now I only really looked at pedals that fell on the "boutique" side of of the market. I just figured that if they cost more they must be better. Boy have I been wrong. My last two pedals were both under $30 and IMO sound really good. I was looking for a true pitch vibrato and I tried out several. (BBE, EHX) and which one sounded the best Berhinger UV 300! I was looking for a delay that had a good analogue sound. Tried out several which one did I like Ibanez DE7.

I love my boutique pedals, but perhaps I could find the same quality sound for much cheaper if I would look.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh yeah, there are some hidden treasures out there. Several of DOD's old cheapos sound fantastic.

3. Best example was the guitarist in my old band had this generic-looking red distortion pedal. I think the company was called Stevens. Sounded much better than the Boss distortion pedal. Bassier. He got it really cheap a long time ago. I never heard of Stevens otherwise.

4. Still using my Danelectro FAB chorus :D

5. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    What DOD pedals are you talking about?

I know the FX25 is a good filter.

The Gonkulator goes for a lot of cash now, but I don't really dig it.

The Meatbox seems pretty cool, but it is pretty pricey now too.

Others?

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    The Behringer BDI-21 and the Danelectro Fab Echo are my two favorite low-cost pedals.

7. Those Danelectro mini pedals can sound really cool. I like my pastrami overdrive enough that I had it rehoused (for like 4X the price of the original. But it's cool!).

8. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, I am going to rehouse the berhinger vibrato, and make it true bypass.
    I think it will cost around $20 buck for the parts, but that still puts the total cost under $50.... Which will still be cheaper WAY than anything else on my board. The Ibanez actually seems pretty solid.

9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    That is a great idea. The bypass is the only issue I have with some Behringer pedals. I use the vibrato with mic-ed cornet, with autowah it's the 1st weird sound on my new band's album!
    Try the Ultra Octave, mine tracks better than Boss OC2.

10. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    The octaver on my Digitech Bass Synth Wah is probably my favorite octaver. Super fast and accurate tracking!

11. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Here is a link to the rehouse I plan to do:

Behringer Vibrato rehouse thread - recovered from TGP

12. I have a couple of the Dano mini pedals that are great French Toast Octave Distortion and Milkshake Chorus.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On guitar, I still use an old KMD Overdrive + that I found in a music store in 1983 for $20. You just never know when some old crap pedal everyone thumbs their noses at will give you the sound you're looking for.

14. The Dano FAB Chorus and Delay Pedals are as good as anything else I've tried other than real high end brands like TC Electronics. I like them better than Boss Pedals I've used that cost 4x-5x as much. The only one I didn't care for is their OD pedal. Too dark sounding.

I think certain boutique OD pedals are worth their price if you're a working musician needing both tone and dependability but many of the delay or pitch shifting effects can be had far more economically. There's absolutely nothing wrong with these Dano pedals. They're quiet and actually quite transparent for a pedal that goes for about $20.

15. the Behringer multi-FX is quite nice. clean, quiet, throw-it-in-the-gig-bag useful.

16. HUSH, you.
    [quietly dusts, hides FX-20c, FX-25b, FX-82, FX-84...]
    :ninja: