Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw !Trio!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mksolid, Jun 14, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    For those not familiar, Trio! is Bela Fleck, Stanley Clarke, and Jean Luc Ponty. Just saw them at Magic City Music Hall in Binghamton, NY. Mindblowing.. humbles me as an aspiring musician.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    That souds awfully cool. I love Jean Luc Ponty! (Bela and Stanely too, of course.)

3. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'll be seeing them in NH tonight ... I can not wait.

Did Stanley stick around after the show at all to say hey to fans?

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Is Clarke playing upright or electric with these guys?

5. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Zappa fan, great to see...
    I read that he's playing Acoustic.....

For those that have seen the Trio! perform already : DOES HE PLAY ELECTRIC AT ALL?

Thanks

6. i saw Rites of Strings a few years ago and he only played acoustic... but hearing "School Days" in Acoustic!!! uff!!!

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Dang, just missed this at Wolf Trap last night. Had it on my calendar a long time, but it just conflicted with too many things....

8. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I saw the !Trio! on Weds. night. It was incredible. Stanley only picked up the electric for their final pre-encore tune, "Toys" (from Vertu's album). What a show... if anyone has a boot of it, LET ME KNOW. The new original tunes written by Bela & Jean-Luc for the Trio were great. I'm not sure if Stanley had any new tunes at the show, but they did arrangements of "Song for John" & "Toys."

I took some pics, I was a few rows off the stage... I'll have to post them later tonight or tomorrow.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I saw them on the 16th at Hampton as well! It was amazing! I've never seen someone slap an upright before. That little turner bass that stanley had was amazing too! I really enjoyed all the music they played. Where'd you guys sit? I was in K5, in the front row.

10. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I was in section GOLD1 Table G ... 6th row from stage (seats 11 & 12)

Good stuff.... I'd love a recording of that show. You could tell they were still ironing out the technical details of the tour, there were some sound problems for Stanley in set 1. Also, Bela was screwing up some of the unison licks in a few songs.... not like him.. but hey, he's human!!!