1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kajagoogoo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Apr 30, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Kajagoogoo-Too Shy

I heard this on Top 100 Songs of the 80s, and the bass line just kills it. I was shocked!

Any info on the bassist? I only saw the video once, but the headstock looked like a Wal.

Man, that dude kills it.

2. That was the only hit they ever had... another one hit wonder of the 80's...

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
  4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Probably why it was on the Top 1 Hit Wonders. My bad for not clearing that up.

Nick Beggs. I havent heard of him. I almost dropped my jaw when I saw him slapping! I was like :eek:

5. que-ever

que-ever

Oct 21, 2006
    Lemme tell you that song was a beezy to learn for a beginner.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Nick used a Wal as well as a Music Man Stingray back in the KajaGooGoo days. He's also an accomplished Chapman Stick player too.

7. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I have that LP somewhere and remember learning some of those lines way back when.
    He was different from most of the slappers, very cool lines with a bunch of hammery melodic stuff. I remember it was one of those bands I didn't want to admit I liked but the bass grooves were so cool.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nick is a killer player, one of my faves, but his talent doesn't end there. Shortly after that hit, Kajagoogoo kicked out that lead singer, Nick took over the vocals, and sang while playing all those crazy basslines.

The Wal was a ProII model. He also played a preEB StingRay back then as well.

9. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
  10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    They actually had another minor hit with the "Never Ending Story" theme from the movie sound track...at least that was was the singer from Kajagoogoo...

11. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    I saw Nick Beggs playing with John Paul Jones when he toured for " Thunder Thief" about 8 years ago. Nick played mostly Chapman stick and sang backup. It was an absolutely brilliant show.

12. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I saw Nick play with Steve Hackett @ NEAR Fest a few years ago, great player indeed!

13. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

I saw that tour when it came to NYC (they opened for King Crimson) and actually heard someone in the audience yell out for "Too Shy" during a break between tunes.

14. Epi Rivoli

Epi Rivoli

Jan 13, 2009
    I did a Stickseminar and concert with Nick in 2000 in Holland. Very nice bloke. He told me he got the John Paul Jones-gig on the recommendation of Robert Fripp. I really like the way he grooves on the Stick (and bass); he played the Big Bubbles-part on his Stick during one of his lessons.. incredible!!

15. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Ridiculous player and great old song!

16. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Too funny. I was just thinking today what bassline first caught my attention years ago, and it was the one from Too Shy.

I think that was when I first had that grain of interest in the bass. Killer bass line. I even have the EP and LP...my sister loved it and even got her hair done like Limahl. I was too embarassed to admit I even had it, being a total Rush fan then (and now).

I read some stuff on Nick Beggs recently, and it's good to know he's a respectable bass player too.

17. leloupa

leloupa

Oct 24, 2007
    belgium
    You think 'too shy' is good ?
    Listen at this Kajagoogoo song :

One of the best bass lines i ever heard, and which inspired me starting to play bass.

from the same album !

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool bass line, but I've never been able to stand that song. Ultra-cheesy (no, I don't think this is always a good thing ;)).

19. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Gesundheit!