Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Karr Kamp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by kello, Apr 11, 2005.

1. kello

kello

Apr 10, 2005
    Illinois
    I was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about Gary Karr's "kamp" up in Canada. I've heard it's wonderful from teachers of mine, but I haven't had an opportunity to talk to anyone who's actually gone there for the full month. Let me know what you've heard or what you personally think --

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you end up going, I'll make sure to start calling you Karr Kamp Kello.
    :)

3. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I knew a girl once that went...she was total rubish as a player - not that that is necissarily a reflection of the Gary Karr experience. Be careful though...I think that it would be similar to going somewhere to study with someone like Ed Meyer who, while a great player, is (from what I hear) an awful teacher.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Gary's not an awful teacher -- quite the opposite. First, the joyous inspiration which is apparent from his recordings is a force of nature when experienced in person. Second, he has a deeply thought-out physical approach to the instrument which he is able to express in an highly articulate (and often funny) manner. Third, Gary spent about thirty years teaching on all levels from elementary school to Ivy League grad students and taught groups and master-classes continuously over that period.

I went to the precursor of Karr Kamp in 1978. There were all levels there and everybody left with something of value.

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll second that opinion!
    Gary is a great teacher, and he does focus a lot on the physical approach to our very physical instrument. An added benefit is that you will hear a lot of good undergrad and graduate level bassists that will inspire you. Gary is a great guy, and he keeps it all serious, yet entertaining!

I still use the exercises I learned from Karr Kamp a few years back.
    LM

6. What are some of the exercises that Karr had you do LM?

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gary Karr has written much about his methods to avoid overtaxing the body while playing. LM is probably referring to exercises that help avoid unnecessary physical strain.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    If you have a look at Gary's books, you'll see some of them. . .
    He deals with the usual issues like bow change, string crossing, thumb position and shifting. Much of what he does I haven't seen anywhere else. He seems to be able to zero in on technical problems that he hears people struggling with their pieces, and then develop useful exercises to overcome these issues.

best,
    LM

9. kello

kello

Apr 10, 2005
    Illinois
    Tbeers - I have to laugh. Thanks for the awesome name. Everyone else - thanks for the input. It's nice to have an idea of what goes on up there. Word on the street is that Gary invites the "kampers" (sorry, I can't get enough of the alliterations) to his house for dinner sometimes. Woohoo!

:eek: <-- that will be me when I meet good ol' Gar.

10. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    :eek: <-- that will be me when I meet good ol' Gar.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perhaps more than you expect!!

I've heard some fantastic stories ..

11. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    I went back in 2001 and it was a great experience.
    We had a master class beginning every day at 9am and I remember the first morning being there sleept but nervous as hell, and then Gary came in with his little fluffy white dog and he was so nice to everyone (I was still terrified!) We had to play something in masterclass every other day, which was a little daunting, especially for me who had only been playing for about a year and a half at that point- I didn't know a lot of music to begin with.
    "Vomit" was a great exercise for shifting, but it was tough shifting all over the Gstring that early in the morning!!
    One thing that I didn't agree with however was his constant pushing to play with your bow as close to the bridge and as slow as possible in an orchestral setting. His sound is very characteristic of him but I don't think playing that way in a section is going to make you any friends :)

Also, you do go to his house a couple times- for dinner, and he even plays a recital for you with harmon in their personal studio. When I went the Amati was still at his house, so we all had a chance to play on it a little.
    All of the people were great as well, very open minded and at all different levels of playing. Tell us how it goes!

12. What was it like to play the Amati?