1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kawai F2B pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawjazz1, Oct 23, 2013.

1. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    I have an all original F2B that I bought new back in '87-'88 or so. The pickups are making a large amount of noise. Remedies? Anyone know what kind of pickups were original to this bass? What about possible replacement pickups?

2. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    Bump - Help someone!

3. bigbassist

bigbassist

Oct 27, 2012
    Russia
    It's probably unreal to find these pickups. I was replaced by custom made pickup on my F1B.

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Maybe ask in "Setup and Repair".....

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

A pair of Alembic pickups is the obvious choice but they're insanely expensive.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    When these pickups work they're great but they do crap out. The pickups are proprietary and sealed - pretty much impossible to disassemble and
    try to fix. They are also a non-standard size.

There have been numerous threads about this over the years - dig around.
    I remember there was one TB'er in particular that completely gutted his FIIB's (he had 2)
    and had all the info on the work he did/pickups he used.

Go here for more info.

Kawai FIIB Owners Group, or FOG

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Well, just passing along info :) ...I've seen MANY F2Bs with these Barts in them (usually with something like a NTMB preamp) , and in every single instance the owner said it was a definite improvement in tone. I looked very hard at getting one and did a lot of research about 15-17 years ago....though I didn't get one, so my info is second hand.

But, like you say, if the originals are fixable, I'd suggest that first, and evaluate from there.

10. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I have fixed a beaten up F2B from a local bass player about 2 years back and among other problems the basse's electronics were dead. Because the owner was on a very tight budget i went with a pair of 10$ eBay pickups from china and converted the bass to passive.They looked like this:
    pickup.JPG
    I had to cut off the "ears" for the mounting screws for them to fit into the routing and used foam pads and hot glue to mount them. The bass sounds surprisingly good now.