Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keanu Reeves

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jan 3, 2004.

1. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    I've known for along time he is the bassist for his band 'Dogstar'. I've seen him on tv using a precision with a pick. Is he a good bassist? Has anyone heard him play?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've seen pictures of him playing, but I've never seen him performing live. I've never heard him either, but I too have wondered if he's any good and what Dogstar sounds like.

I think it's cool that he's in a band, but he doesn't really shove it in anyone's face, you know? It irritates me when actors join or start a band and then shove it in everyone's face, telling us how they've always wanted to be a musician. Current losers that fall into that catagory include Jennifer Love Hewitt and Hillary Duff. Past losers include Joey Lawrence, Eddie Murphy and Bruce Willis (even though I actually liked Bruce's "Respect Yourself" and his Seagram's Golden Wine Cooler commercials). Mandy Moore is now doing just the opposite -- using her "musician" status to get her into films. Aaarrrrgh, I hate it!

3. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Yeah I know man. Duff and those other actors (to me) aren't considered real musicians, they just used the sucess of their acting careers to access the music business.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I saw them playing at a festival sometime between '94 and '96. He was functional, and suited the music fine.
    It's the old 'Flea would suck in Dogstar, Keanu would suck in the Chilli Peppers' argument.

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    they dont sound too bad. quite interesting...

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Never seen or heard him play but here's a cool picture.

8. I am with Hategear...he doesn't wear hats on the red carpet that says "Dogstar's new album,out the 23rd,yah hurd!" or anything...I am curious as to see if he has some licks:D

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i listened to just Halo so far. doesn't sound half bad at all :D ;).

10. Wow, they don't sound half bad! He can actually play pretty well, and I bet he has some NICE ASS gear.

11. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    And a nice ass. Er, wait...

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think that whole "stick to what you do" thing is kinda lame. Nobody seems to take actors/musicians who try to become musicans/actors.

Which befuddles me to no end. Just because you got known for one thing means you're expected to stay exclusively in that feild?

I give every actor a fair shot at music and every musican a fair shot at acting.

Shoot, Dwight Yokam was pretty good in Sling Blade, and Jason Shwartzman was pretty good in Phantom Planet (even though I didn't like their music that much), so why discriminate on circumstance?

I do both, and actually am a fairly talented actor (much more so than this bass thing I do...) and I'd feel weird being told to "stick to X" because that's what I was known for.

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah. he seems like a general, really down to earth good guy. he doesn't shove his music in peoples faces, and he doesn't spend all of his money on "bitches and wine", he gives a really good amount of it away also.
    he did earn about $70 million with the matrix movies though. but that doesn't cancel out what i just said.

14. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, he doesnt need to make any money off of his band or off of shakespeare...im pretty sure he is set for life, especially after the matrix trilogy.

15. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    I just wanna see some of his gear and what he sounds like. He's a good person too which is always cool.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, from what I've read, he does seem like a nice guy.

Shame he can't act, though (;))

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, I find their music to be uninspired and boring (let alone NO good licks), but the drummer is a real nice guy. Met him at my work (ski hill), and had the pleasure to ski with him a couple times. He was actually the one who gave me the current Dogstar album (sunflower on front?). Not great music though.

18. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What if you're not really either, like Britney or Mandy Moore?

;) ;) :D

I guess I have a problem with actors becoming musicians, because it seems to me that they use one as a springboard to another, while I wallow in anonymity. Sour grapes on my part? Probably.

EDIT: Along those same lines, I'm a pretty big wrestling fan (at least I used to be, up until a few months ago) and it offends me that the Rock has all but given up on wrestling and the WWE, because he's become a big-draw movie star and he's "always wanted to be a movie star." I guess I don't like to see people "turning their backs" on what got them where they are. That's why I said I admired Keanu, because he's an actor who just happens to play bass in a band, he's not pimping himself as a "legitimate" musician...

19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    lol. i don't have a problem with an actor going to musician or vise-versa. as long as if they become a musician, they are a true musician, and don't spend millions of dollars on advertising and shove it down your throat.