1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kid stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by twinjet, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    My first ever memory of eating a muffin was when I was 6 years old. I was at soccer practice (or something.. We were in a gym). I ate the top of the muffin first -the best part- and continued to eat the wax paper. I thought it was edible, as it dissolved pretty easily. Whoops.

When I was 4 or so, I was on a boardwalk with my parents. I had a push cart with toys in it. Supposedly, I managed to push the cart over and it fell into the water, lost forever. Dad says I proceeded to cry for a while.

When I was 6 or 7, I was in the truck with my dad. I was curious as to what the little pull-out knob thingy (cig lighter) was for. After I pushed and pulled it, Dad warned me not to touch it because it was very hot. I didn't listen to him and I touched the lighter. Burned my thumb and submerged it in water for several minutes.

Tell me about your kid experiences. I'd like to know I wasn't the only dummy in existence.

2. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Blowing into an ashtray.

GregC, 47th Street, Tom Bomb and 3 others like this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

When I was a kid I thought people invented colour. I thought the world was black and white just like on TV and people eventually discovered colour. I know at least one of my friend's thought the same thing as a child.

47th Street, Tom Bomb, mbelue and 4 others like this.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    My mom told me not to touch the stove top when it was red. I touched it anyways.

5. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I put my finger in the opening of a sun chair joint. Then started to close the top (of course). Then as I was stuck my Dad had to close the chair the rest of the way to release the one way ratchet - and my finger. I screamed. But I think it was much harder on my Dad then on me.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    A bunch of kids from the neighbor hood and me stepped on a nest of ground bees and got chased about half a block. They stung the crap out of all of us. I got stung right in the corner of my eye. That sucked really bad!

47th Street, Tom Bomb, mbelue and 2 others like this.
  7. Riding a bike. :smug:

Tom Bomb, mbelue and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  8. When I was about 3 , my mom went down to the storeroom of our apartment building to look for something and took me with her. While she was looking , I became fascinated with this really cool looking little door on the wall with all these little glass things in it. There was one hole that didn't have a glass thing in it so I stuck my finger in it. Yup , it was the fuse box. Can you say electrifying boys and girls?----I knew you could.:thumbsup:

GregC, 47th Street, Tbone76 and 7 others like this.
  9. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    "Luging" on skateboards (basically no control other than point it where you want to go)down a hill with stop lights and stop signs.

10. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    My earliest childhood memory is from about 3 years old. We had a beautiful collie dog named Celsea and I used to play in her doghouse with her.

One day I was crawling into the doghouse and Celsea grabbed me by the back of my pants and started pulling me out. My dad saw this and snapped at Celsea, then she let me go. He was curious at her behavior because she had never done anything like that before, so he took a look inside the doghouse and found a copperhead snake curled up in the corner.

Celsea was just looking out for the little guy! Man, what a great dog/friend she was :crying:

GregC, 47th Street, Tbone76 and 8 others like this.
  11. Our teacher told us that electromagnets were made by coiling wires around a magnet & then connecting them to an electrical source.
    I realized I had both at home, a nice magnet & a roll of copper wire.
    I wound a whole bunch of the wire around the magnet & then stuck each end of the wires into an electrical socket.
    Amazingly, I didn't get shocked, but it threw the breaker. I was too young to know how to reset a breaker, so I had to answer to my stepdad when he came home.
    I didn't actually. I denied everything, but he must have had a clue when he found pieces of the copper wire around the electrical receptacle & a smoke/spark mark up the wall.

12. My earliest clear memory was sitting on the floor with my dad and uncle watching them take turns playing The Legend of Zelda on NES, and my uncle eating an entire apple, core and all. I was probably 3-4 years old at the time. What I don't remember is eating cigarette butts, but apparently I was a big fan.

I also remember having a sweet pirate eye patch that got stolen by a kid named Alex in pre-school. And yes, I am still bitter about it. Wherever you are now Alex, f*** you. You still owe me an eye patch.

GregC, 47th Street, Tom Bomb and 4 others like this.
  13. I disrupted church service during communion when I was a toddler by running up the aisle yelling "Bite! Bite!" I must've been part caveman.

As a youth, I'd take my Schwinn Krate down this huge hill, no hands and standing on the seat. My friends knew I was crazy. Later on, we discovered KISS and started breathing fire. I tried it one night with some Everclear and caught fire. I had a blister hanging off my ear and neck like a floppy pancake and blisters on my cheeks. My vocal chords were scorched and it took two months to regain any voice.

It's a miracle I'm alive, because the close calls kept coming as an adult.

14. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    That sounds awful. I've been stung by a wasp once. On the back of the head. I always run when even a single bee is flying around me!
    I take it that's why you're a plumber instead of an electrician? ;)
    She might have been scared for you. What a sweetheart.
    That's great! Pretty sure my little brother tried sticking a fork into an outlet once. That would have been bad...
    :roflmao: That had me laughing!
    I've had my close calls as an adult as well. Ever read my "Aviation and You" thread series? They're worth reading. :smug:

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    In preschool I thought I could do monkey bars with both hands at the same time if I just swung my body with enough momentum. I also thought I could do a headstand on a ball.

It turns out the only thing I could do was get lots of stitches.

16. Naaa. My decision to become a plumber was a matter of convenience and greed. Through my dad , I knew a guy that owned a plumbing company and at 16 years old I found out how much more money I could make working for him rather than the minimum wage jobs most kids got working summers between High School. At 17 , when I left High School I was making more money than anyone else I knew. Almost bought my own company when I was about 30 but divorcing my first wife and paying off all her bills left me too broke to come up with a down payment. After getting all that cleared up , I was just too plain lazy to want to put in the hours to get my own company going.

47th Street and mbelue like this.
  17. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I did that with a test socket in a hardware store, while my Dad and the sales clerk were standing RIGHT THERE!

18. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    My earliest childhood memory was choking on a Brach's peppermint. Must have been 4 or 5.

A sweet old lady gave it to me at church. Some(equally sweet) old dude picked me up by my ankle and swatted me on the back till it came flying out.
    I still remember the sensation of it clipping my front teeth on the way out.

I love peppermints to this day, forbidden fruit i guess.

About 9 I broke my nose on the backstop at school. No way to spin that story where i don't sound stupid.
    I ran slap into it full out downhill. Not doing much downhill running anymore. There are times i sit and think about that why it happened or what i was trying.

I got nothing.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I tried "recharging" a dead C or D cell battery by placing it in a light socket in place of a bulb and turning it on...oops!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    What a great idea! I'm glad I never thought of that.