Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Kong.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Saw it last night. All I can say: Holy sh**. Go see it now. In a good theater if possible. I got one near me with stadium seats and really big comfy chairs and teeth-rattling speakers so it was that much more insane. 3 hours long and in my opinion it could've been longer and I still would've loved it.
    OK, stop reading now, go see it.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to see it tonight! Seeing any 3-hour movie that's not Lord of the Rings related will be tough for me, though.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I think your safe, Peter Jackson directed both.

:cool:

It's on my list of "things to do" this weekend as well...sigh...yes, that's right, I'm giving in to the hype...

:hyper:

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm can't say I'm familiar with the King Kong story enough to see how in the world it can fill up 3 hours.....

But, I read something on the internet saying it was great. The internet is never wrong...so I will most likely go see it :smug:

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've been a big Peter Jackson fan since Dead Alive came out some years ago. He did some great over-the-top horror movies that were hilarious, and very well done (for what they were). I always knew that he was destined to do something bigger and better, but I never expected this.

I haven't seen King Kong yet, and will wait until I can see the 1933 version again. I expect the new version will be pretty damn stunning.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    One hour in NY without Kong.
    One hour on the island.
    One hour back in NY with Kong.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh, I know. I'm such a LOTR nerd, however, that the gross amount of time that those movies take up is fully justified in my eyes. Last New Year's Day, my friends and I watched all three extended editions back to back to back. It took us almost eleven hours and change, if memory serves. (Including breaks.) I'm just not used to non-LOTR material lasting this long, that's all. :D

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I got 1.5 hours in and left. I thought it was really dumb. It started out great, but unfortunately turned into an action film halfway through. I have to say that Naomi Watts is Fine (with a capital 'F'). Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite films ever. This just didn't cut the mustard for me. Jack Black was enjoyable (Adrian Brody is pretty harrible IMO).

I loved the entire LOTR thing, thought it was brilliant. This doesn't compare.

W

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think I'm going to have a hard time taking Jack Black seriously. I'll probably end up giggling at every line he says, not matter how serious it and and how he delivers it.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Yeah. I think it would have worked better as a Woody Allen comedy where Kong comes to New York and gets therapy from Naomi Watts and they fall in love and everything.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D

I think an out-and-out action flick is really the only place it could have gone. The other two Kong movies showed what the story was like with less action, and they can be a bit tedious.

Besides, if you're going to go watch a big-ass monkey movie, you gotta expect some Donkey Kong-style throwdowns.

13. wilby, you didn't stay until the denouement, wherein Kong and Watts have a tender love scene and come to bring society to a better acceptance of beastiality.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a powerful statement, bryan, that applies to many things in life. very good :hyper:

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I knew I left before it got good...

Max: Hey, I've seen smart action and dumb action. I classify Kong as dumb action.

16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I was just joshin with you Willbyman. I too, thought Naomi Watts was worth taking on three T-Rex.

I really liked the movie. The three hours went fast for me.

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's all good...and hey, the girl can act too. I think she has a much bigger range than any of the other similarly cast leading ladies.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Jack Black SUCKS.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sorry, but it's a proven fact that Jack Black has been classically trained to rock your ****ing socks off.

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I could outrock Jack.