Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Know a good amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobra prince, Sep 4, 2005.

1. I Just got a bass and need to know what kind of amp would sound best for a punk sound? :confused:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The most common replies to this willllll be:
    What bass are you playing?
    What's your budget?
    Go out an try everything.

-Ray

3. I have a
    P-Bass

and a budget of about 300 dollars right now. :bassist:

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    $300 wont buy you a whole lot of amp... some combos and the likes. What do you play with? How's your drummer? etc. etc. The more information you give us the more we can help. And try a search and the FAQ too.

-Ray

5. Our drummer is great he can do any beat at any tempo and i know $200 wont buy a great amp but whats one at that price (or cheaper) that would be good for punk rock? I play with a P-Bass i jsut bought.

6. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    how loud? My personal favorite in that range (which is what i use a lot of too) is a 100 wat fender rumble for 400 with 15" speaker and 4 band eq. or a behringer for 300 that has a 12" speaker, 120 watts (but isnt quite that loud in reality) and an ultrabass feature which gives you it one octave lower.
    I personally would buy the fender (i own one and its gret) and add the effects like distortion and wah seperately.

If you want smaller wattage there is a 60 watt fender rumble and many other circa 60 watt amps out there for that price.

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Start scouring pawn shops for used Peavey combos.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Peavey TNT. You can even run some of the smaller gigs with one; they are great amps. And you can drop it off a cliff and it will still play.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Another +1 for used Peavey combos.

They have a workable tone, can be had for a reasonable price, and are nearly indestructable.

BTW, I have an old Basic 60 combo and as much as I don't want to like it for some reason I do. Plus, it just won't die!

10. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ALOT of local punk bands bassists i know use the ampeg BA 115. not my favorite. but 100 watts, ampeg, proably less than $250 used. try ebay.

11. And...
    Who are your favorite punk bassists and what is that player using?

And...
    Use the "search" tool.

12. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    hows the tone? Im loving the look

My fender rumble 100 has a 15 inch speaker too and has great tone (i just set the EQ totally flat :bag: ). but that thing looks soo nice...so how is the tone. If i need a new practice or small venue amp im gonna have to look at that one.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    :confused: I don't need to search for anything, it wasn't my question. Just because every other punk bassists uses the same crap doesn't mean that that is what he is using.

-Ray

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Grab yourself an Ampeg combo. The B100R is nice and loud. The TNT from Peavey is also loud, and a popular pic for the punker crowd.

-Mike

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You simply can't beat the TNT for usability in a cheap combo.

16. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I second the Ampeg Combo notion. You dig the sound with the P-bass much longer than than the Peavey. They have a "scooped mid" sound that you can't duplicate. It might be a little more money, but check out used stuff online. I think you'd be happier in the long run. Possibly try out an Avatar cab with a separate head. I've seen the Avatars on ebay for cheapo! With the separate head and cab, you can upgrade later without too much trouble as you need more power. So you got the P-bass, huh? Mexi Fender? give us a pic!

17. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I did some shopping for you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-B410-Bass-G...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEG-BASS-AMP-...7347626600QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Gallien-Kr...348359968QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This shopping trip took all of 2 minutes on Ebay. I think you'll be much happier with a head/cab rig instead of a combo. You'll be pushing your 300 dollar limit, but you won't have to upgrade for a long time...saving you cash and frustration in the long run!

18. You guys sound like you know what your talking about so i'll try those brands out. :bassist:

19. I was just adding to your list of questions. Don't get into a fit.

If the kid's into Punk, then there's an obvious sound there that he likes and he should find out what's producing it, don't you think? And do you really think that every Punk bassist is using the exact same rig? I seriously doubt it.