Knuckle Cracking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Dec 13, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Does anyone know if cracking your knuckles messes up your hand in the long run? Sometimes I do it to loosen up my fingers when I'm playing, and Ive heard rumors that it gives your athritis later on.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No legitimate studies that I've seen support the theory that knuckle cracking leads to long-term injury. We've discussed it before.

brad cook
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

What he said.

4. Old wive's tale, commonly spread by older folk.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wives perhaps?

brad cook
  6. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    so , you'll find out when you're older...
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I've been doing it for at least 35 years, and my knuckles are still healthy.
  8. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I pop my right thumb... because it gets a bit stiff ever since I broke it. Not really the conventional "pop", but more of a side-to-side bit 'til I hear it "pop"
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been told it actually has positive effects.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I heard it makes you go blind.
  11. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    I heard somewhere that popping them releases gas build-up between the joints or something like that. Anyway, the message they had was that it helped them.

I have something wronge with my hands where they pop every time I close them tightly. I mean the kind of pop you can hear all the way across the room with other noises going on. I asked a doctor about it once and he said I was a little double-jointed in all the joints in both my hands and wrists. I'm not quite sure how you can be "a little" double jointed, I thought it was all or none. But then he is a doctor.
  12. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I heard the same thing too. My girlfriends doctor told her that it releases the chemical that makes you happy, can't think of the name right now.
  13. THC?
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
  15. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I laughed at this.
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Seriously, I'd like to know what the popping noise is. What makes the sound?
  17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I pop my knuckles and my neck all the time. Sometimes it's out of habit/boredom, but a lot of the time, it relieves pressure and feels good, which I guess does make me happy in a roundabout sort of way.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  19. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's air moving from one side of the joint to the other. Or so my a-level biology teacher said,
  20. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    IIRC, it's a little bubble of gas in the knuckle imploding.