1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 01 Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is a continuation of the original Lakland 01 club which can be found here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404476

Here's the idea set out in the first thread:

Supertanker likes this.
  2. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Thank Bryan!

Let's keep it rolling!

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    in...

4. Wanna be - hoping to have one this week.

5. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I bit the bullet and ordered a 5501. Music 123 had a killer sale and I got a brand spanking new natural with the all maple neck.

Wanted to get the 5501 club members' opinions on Pick ups and preamps. I'm leaning toward the Nordys. Haven't decided on which Nordys. I'm also looking at preamps, Sadowsky, Nordy, J retro. Haven't decided though and I'm open to anything.

I'm looking for something that can be really agressive and funky, aka "Marcus Miller" and then turn around and play really warm like Oteil Burbridge. I would rather it be more agressive than not. Please chime in with your suggestions for a sax player learning how to play bass.

(Chef chimed in at the end of the other thread and wanted to continue here) Chef: Nord DC5's, Lakland LH-3 with switches.

Datsaxguy

6. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I can't play jazz thickness bass necks for long before I get crampy. This has included G&L JB-2 and my beautiful Dingwall AB and a sterling I loved the sound of but had to trade.
    The nut width does not matter. Front to back has to have some thickness. How are these? I want to get one and mod it.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Well, the 5501 5 string sure isn't gonna be Jazz width!
    They're not chunky necks; they're not terribly deep front to back, but they're not skinny like a Geddy Lee either.
    They also have a more modern fingerboard radius: ie, flatter, rather than rounder.
    To me, they're quite comfortable necks.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I very recently put a Nordy 3B-5a pre and Big Split pups in my new 55-01. One word - WOW!!! The sound is very full, thick, and clear as day. The pre is wonderfully neutral (my pref) with very little difference between passive mode and active mode with flat EQ. However, when you need some tone shaping, it's easy to get as much as you need. I had some wiring challenges during the install, but once I got that sorted out, I fell in love pretty quickly. My favorite setting right now is the highs cut a little, the mids bumped a little, the lows flat, and blend centered or full-on neck pup, depending on how I'm feeling at the moment.

My big challenge now is getting used to 5 strings. It's getting better, but I'm still not ready to take her out with the band.

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Trial by fire! Switch to it exclusively for a while. Then when you're comfortable, go back and forth fairly regularly. I'm not holding myself out as a great bass player, so trust me, you'll be able to go between four and five (and in my case fretted and fretless as well) with very little need for a readjustment period.

Just do it. You're prolonging the agony otherwise.

KO

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    yep.

11. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland

Well, I decided on the Audere classic pre. I have the audere with the z switch in my 4 string Nordy and never move it out of the middle setting. So I decided to save myself a coulple bucks and the headache of drilling for a switch I don't use.

I put the pre in last night...........sounds very very close to my Nordy. I can't wait to get the Nordy pick ups in there. The lows sounds so clean and thick. I happened to go to Atomic music today and they had a Daryl Jones skyline in there. Looks like the exact same bass but my 5501 was killing it all day long. The only thing that I did like on the Daryl Jones was the polyurethane finish on the neck. I think thats the only thing this bass is missing right now. The preamp install just made it another animal. Completely different animal.

12. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I'm a huge Audere fan. I have a JZ3 in all my Jazz basses.
    I would not hesitate to put one in a 5501.
    As a matter of fact my next 5501 will have Big Singles and an Audere pre.

I have an older 5501 and it has a poly neck.

Now you see why we luv the 01's so much.
    My 5501 with US Barts and a LH3 just kills everyday.

13. I read through most of this Thread - great info and options for modding. My first Lakland and my first 5 String a Natural and Rosewood 5501 arrives tomorrow. I'm off and I can't wait to play it - hope the truck comes early : )

14. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    How cool is zat?

Don't know if you pop/slap much but, the 5501 is the best popping/slapping bass on the market that I've played.

15. I Pop and Slap - it is the Ketchup of Bass after all - haha. So stoked - waiting all week for this - locking myself up and getting acquainted once it arrives. If I'm loving it - I might be looking for a second. Considering one tuned EADGC and keep this was B to G.

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    that 5501 thru your gk, and the swr cabs will be *killer*

17. I am loving the SWR 350x and the SWR dual 4x10 together right now - but I have the GK (an old 85 model 800RB) the MarkBass LMII and the SWR 350X < which EQ'd sounds so good with the SWR Goliath II and the Golight 4x10. She'll get a dance with each of them - just hoping it gets here early - doing some leaf clean up in the morning - while watching every UPS Truck that comes down the street - and there are a lot that pass by my house - so that will be torture.

Thanks for all the feedback Chef - and thanks for getting me Gas'ing for a Walkabout Scout too - I know I would love that as a smaller rig.

I want the Brown Tolex with the Tan screens and I want the extension cab - not sure if they are still made like that.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  19. Wine and Lizard with the extension Cab - all in good time : )

20. Bass arrived - it took all day to get here I must have been the last stop - once my kids are sleeping I plan on getting acquainted - I took it out of the case and I am letting it get acclimated to the temperature. So stoked - could be a late night - wish I had tomorrow off. :bassist: