Lakland Decade....any pics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, May 2, 2005.

1. Sorry if I missed any on the NAMM threads, but does anyone have any pictures of this bass? I am quite smitten with it really, and tho I would hardly pay 4 g's for one, I still would love to at least try it, and see if I could be persuaded.

Until then, I could do with some pics, and there's none on the website that I can see.

Loves me them Darkstar pups, and this has two!

2. Well thank you very much, kind Sir.

It reminds me ov an old Ovation bass, or guild bass... I'll have to dig a little...

very cool tho.

edit: [​IMG]

here's the guild I was thinking of...not entirely the same....
  3. I'd gladly trade my sting for it, if it plays as nicely
  4. It kinda reminds me of a non-offset waist version of a Bass VI body, but something is just a bit wierd about it, and I like it.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    It seems as if Lakland made their most "modern" entry into the bass building business first with the 55-94, but lately, all the new models are just takes on older basses. I think they need to get back and release another more "modern" bass.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I remember, Steve Barr was helping do design those I believe, and some of the protos with pickguards were downright ugly. But in the end I was impressed with the look of the bass, I didn't think Lakland could pull off something like that, but they did and I love it!
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm sooo wanting to put a set of Darkstar pickups in something.

I'm thinking my Destroyer might get a set.
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My thoughts exactly! I'd love to put a set in my Gibson Ripper!!
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like the looks of the Decade, but if I'm going to spend the $$$, I'm thinking a Lakland Hollowbody with Darkstars would be the one to put me further into debt....
  10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 on that joint monkeee
  11. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's a US Duck Dunn Signature model with a Dark Star. That's pretty sweet, too.
  13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Someone needs to get one of those to Geezer, Stat! ;)
  14. That's almost exactly what the gent from Wilco used on the last tour...

sans blocks, of course. Real nice sounding bass, minimum rig...
  15. ccbass71

ccbass71 Supporting Member

I recently got a chance to play the prototype. It felt great, like my 4-94, and sounded very smooth. Not necessarily for slap. It had flatwounds on it. Dan (Lakin) said that it was sort of inspired by one of the Guild basses. I think the one Mon Rominee mentioned.
  16. What the heck happenned to the new thread on this bass????
  17. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've never heard of these explain tone.
  18. Rumzini, from what I understand, having not heard a darkstar out of a live setting, is that they are supposed to re-create the old Guild Starfire pickups, a bit more modern, but with the same robust full tone.

I saw the band Wilco play as stated before, and I thought the bass player's rig / bass sounded good, sat in the mix verywell, not garishly harsh, nor tubby and flat, just good tone.