1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Owners Group #69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    anyone have a black pickguard for a 44-64 custom?

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Ok... I know this is gonna be like asking a bunch of drunks what their favorite way to sober up is, but here goes...

How long would you go NOT playing a bass before you decide to sell it?

I’m not talking about a speciality instrument like a 5 if you mostly play 4 or Fretless that you intend to use for that special song...

I’m talking about duplicates, or are covered very closely by another bass you play more...

And yes, this is Lakland specific because I have Skyline 44-60, 44-64, and US 44-94... and use the 44-94 for 100% of things I do. I’ll pull out he 44-64 from time to time, but just find that I can dial in the P sound convincingly on my 44-94. Likewise for the 44-60... I did have flats on the 64, but found I picked it up even less, so it’s got the deadest rounds ever now...

So... am I crazy for thinking about putting my stack knob 44-60 skyline on the block now?

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  3. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I have many basses that I don’t play regularly. Many of them, I plan to gig with eventually. And some have sentimental value. If you have no sentimental ties to an instrument, and never plan to gig with them, let them go. My $.02

4. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Endorsing artist: Remic microphones
    Not crazy, just sick like the rest of us
    And the only remedy is....buying another bass

JEDI BASS, basspraiser and OnederTone like this.
  5. Mohawk

Mohawk

Oct 17, 2016
    I wouldn't feel bad about selling the ones you don't play. Because within a month of selling them you'll suddenly realize you need to buy another Lakland. And that will then be your new favorite and on it goes. Lol.

MAXSPINRUN, JEDI BASS and basspraiser like this.
  6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

I'm a bit confused... Are you planning on selling the 60 or the 64?

Either way... If you don't have sentimental value or don't ever play it... Or don't just LOVE the way it looks on the wall... Sell one of them...

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Have a great holiday but remember why we are able to have the holiday.....

052617_memorial-day-720x388.

Milo's, JLY, MTN.bass72 and 5 others like this.
  8. TedH

TedH Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    If I don't like the sound, feel or whatever, I sell it because I imagine someone else will get what they want out of it. I'm happy with some cash; bass gets played and makes someone else happy. Don't like keeping something of value in a basement case unless there is serious sentimental value. If you don't need the cash, you don't need it,

I ride bikes and have a basement full of stuff; old frames, parts, wheels, etc. At some point I realized there are all sorts of people, kids, adults, anyone, who might like to get into the sport and that cost was a barrier. So I started donating it to Trips for Kids, selling to my team's juniors at a discount, or ebay. Felt way better that the stuff that still had life to it was getting used, and we all had smiles on our faces.

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Either... both... neither... I dunno! I’m still weighing options!

basspraiser likes this.
  10. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Not always an easy decision.... Good luck!

11. Thanks for posting Max. Glad you like it.
    I just finished 6 new straps this past week.
    You can see them on my Facebook page
    Gecko Leather Works

12. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Yahoo!

Hope the new venture is going well!

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  13. overbybr

overbybr Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you don't have a "need" to sell it and can "afford" to keep it, then keep it. You never know when you will get a wild hair that needs pulling and you find that a -64 or a -60 allows you to scratch that itch (sorry for the use of metaphoric cliche's). For everything that I'm playing right now, my 5-string Warrior is my go-to instrument, so it stays on my wall and the other two I have stay in their cases. For the heck of it I got the JO out last night and played it, and loved it.

If you get to a point where you need to sell something to fund something else, you easily know you have 1-2 basses that you can put on the block and not truly miss them.

OnederTone and basspraiser like this.
  14. Hey guys, long time, no see! The wife has let me come out of semi-retirement, so here I am! I'm an old-school LOG-ger, and currently only own my Marty Bell-finished LOG Bass, but hoping to add something else for flavor/backup.

Attached Files:

basspraiser, Tom P, JLY and 4 others like this.
  15. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    that's a great start.
    how 'bout a 5-94 or variant, it is the Lakland bread and butter, so to speak.

basspraiser likes this.
  16. I've owned nearly every model, minus the Decade and the Scheff. I am leaning toward a DJ5/JO5, or perhaps another P5...

GregC likes this.
  17. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    as have I, and I've even owned a couple scheffs

18. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    435C280F-8A22-45A0-BF22-512160449D1B. I bet you two haven’t owned one of these.

19. You are correct JJ! Nice to see some familiar faces!

basspraiser and JEDI BASS like this.
  20. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks man! It is nice! Love that Marty Bell 5er! I remember it well! Did you get it done before... or after I had him sparkle up my Stingray?

Btw, the Lakland 51 smokes all split pickup P basses hands down! Hate that you’re 5er addicted and missing out on the joy ;-D

basspraiser likes this.