Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, I was looking into getting a Lakland bass, I wanted either a Skyline 55-01 or 55-02, I am going to buy used, but may go with the 01 for $$$ reasons.

I wanted to know what some of you guys think of them.

Or if in the price range or Say $600 and some change either way you could suggest something better.

2. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's either a brand new 55-01 or you might be able to get a used 55-02 with a few more bones. I whole heartedly recommend getting a 55-02.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I had the same dilemma... I called Dan Lakin, & he practically talked me into a 5501. Well, now I have a deluxe 5501 & I LOVE it...
  4. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    id say look into the used peavey millenniums with j/mm pup configuration. look for the USA made ones. the BXP or the 2 jazz pup ones are korean made. the US made one originially retailed for around $1200-1800. they have been discontinued so you can find them as cheap or cheaper than $500. i got one and i am overly impressed with it.
  5. Peavey in no way measures up to a Lakeland, what are you thinking?

6. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    hahahahahaha...i would say that peavey doesnt meassure up to laklands higher end US made instruments, but this bass is better than any skyline and i even like my millennium more than any ricks ive tried. (just a fact)
  7. if you are going with a Lakland the 55-01 has a slightly more mellower sound to it and it has a tone quality of its own. which is very nice. the 55-02 sounds just like their US made ones. so I would say that the 55-02's are worth the extra money but don't feel bad if you can't afford one because the 55-01 is a very nice bass too.

like someone else said the USA made Peavey Milleniums are also sweet basses, but do differ a lot from the lakland stuff. they have a much more "hi-fi" vibe to them where I think the lakland's vibe is more in fender/MM land.
  8. If the 55-01s feel as good as my 55-02, they are worth it. I have had my 55-02 for a couple months and love it. I've played the Peavey Milleniums, and besides the fact that I don't like the way they look, they don't feel as good as the Laklands.

9. I think this explains it...Birthday - February 24th, 1989.

Yes, that explains your choice of a Peavey over a Lakeland.

10. Treena, befoe you throw off on Peavey basses give the Cirrus a try. After 23 years of playing my 1978 Fender Jazz (purchased new) every weekend and more it is now a backup to my Cirrus.
    Birthday July 15 1953 and thumpin' out notes for 35 years, if that makes a difference.
  11. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    um, uh, that was a, uh, typo. its supposed to be, uh, 1889?

but, seriously, ive never played a lakland, and i bet youve never played a peavey millennium (treena). i just know that they have to be better than a skyline. i like my bass, the playability, the sound, everything about it, more than any other bass i have ever played. i cant speak for or against the laklands, but i dont think you can speak for or against the millennium either.

i like my peavey. i think it is THE bass for me. . (period)

oh, yeah, lakeland has no e :D (treena)
  12. The Peavey bass I've owned was a T4, they first came out in the late 70's and it was reeeeeaaaaaaallllly heavy.

I have played every bass that you've mentioned and I still say it doesn't compare.

What is really important though is, that you have found a bass that makes you happy and you know what, age really doesn't matter!

Peace little Bro!

13. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Ive played many peavey basses, including the Cirrus and the millennium...
    The lakland 55-02 is the winner by a mile in this list.
    The cirrus would be a nice 2nd, many on looks, it's one pretty bass. I'm just not crazy abuot the tone I hear out of most of the one's I have seen
    The 55-01 would be next, it's a little too Jazz-bassish for me in tone. A bit polite, but very well built.
    I'm sure you like your bass, but not many people who have tried both would put it up there with the 55-02.
    I tell you what. Offer your bass for trade, straight up, for a 55-02. If you get any takers, I'll eat my words.
  14. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I really like The Cirrus basses those are awesome, the sound is great (I prefer Lakland sound though) But nothing feels as nice to me.

Yeah, I was also looking into some 6 strings, and I really like 24 Fretts over 22, but I really like the 55-02, its only got 5 strings (I prefer 6) and it only has 22 fretts (I prefer 24) but its not that bad.

I will admit I never tried the Millenium bass, but I will now thanks for your suggestions!

I also am Looking into some of the G&L stuff, I heard the Tribute 2500 is at my price and it is supposed to be pretty good also, so Im gonna go look.

Ohh, and I was hoping to buy used because I can get something much better used then if I were to spend say $675 on something new.

Thanks again! Keep the suggestions Flowwin'
  15. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    OHH, By the way, I play;

*Progressive metal (pain of salvation, Dream Theater)

And I was also looking into a brand I havent heard much of 'Pedulla' They look pretty good, but never played one.
  16. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can attest at least for the peavey vs. lakland battle on account that I own both (or will be owning both). I have a 55-02 on its way to me. I have to say that both the 55-02 and the Cirrus are two of the best values for the money. In terms of tone, playability, and overall build quality. How they differ is in their function. Both I think are tonally diverse, but they are diverse in different ways. I think that the Lakland is better for slap/pop and fingerstyle funk stuff in general but it can be used for anything. I'd say that the Cirrus is better for soloing and some of the mellower stuff, but again can be used for anything. The point is that these basses are both great great basses, just different in their functions. Asking me to choose between these two basses is like asking me to chose if I like my left or right foot better. Which one of these will I take on a gig with me...well I'm ordering a double gig bag to prevent me from ever making that decision. :D

I can also say that the sounds that you get out of your basses really depend on the wood choice and fretboard. I have two Peavey Cirrus 5's and they sound very different from one another even on the same settings. I really think getting a used Cirrus is a worthwhile investment, but I also think getting a used 55-02 over a new 55-01 is a wise investment. But I'm biased, cause that's what I've done with my bass choices.
  17. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    this thread is getting stupid. everybody think before posting (and maybe do a search too)

VicWooten, if you're looking at the 5501 over the 5502 for $$$ reasons, then forget about the pedulla. way out of your price range. it's like posting on an auto forum, hey, i'm looking to buy a honda accord, but i'm also looking at BMW 325s, don't know much about them but they look good. Sounds ignorant, right? a quick search would prevent that.

Notabob, if you've never played a lakland, how can you compare them and make a statement like "i just know that they have to be better than a skyline"??? Makes you sound like a 14 year old kid and people will flame you.

the more informed you are, the more this forum will be helpful to you. and people won't try to embarrass you by telling everybody your birthday. ;)

just an observation
  18. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Really? I see those sell on ebay for like $600-750 all the time, and not to sound rude, but I dont have a "Price range" I dont want to blow a bunch of money on a bass though (thats why I dont Touch Fodera's or Modulus basses) I would prefer to spend around 600 and I would prefer a 6 string over a 5 string, but the lakland's are too sweet.

I was also looking into the Ibanez BTB 6 strings, those are ok, I asked about them here before (a long time ago) and I got a 50/50 mix of 'Dont like' and 'pretty good'

But back on the pedulla's, I see them sell for cheap on ebay all the time, I always see the 'rapture 4' for like 550 or so at end of auction, but I already have a 4 stringer so its gotta be 5 or 6 for me this time, 4 strings just isnt enough (Despite my Hero Victor Wooten)
  19. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    you don't sound rude at all~ no worries...

but i don't get it...
    you don't have a price range, but you want to spend around $600...?
    i'm not trying to be a jerk... i just really thought you were concerned about price (as many of us are)

also, if you see a pedulla for that price, that seems like a great deal to me, cuz look here for the retail prices.
    seems like you've seen some great deals (or maybe pedullas have really bad resale value? i don't know)

in any case, i think both the lakland 5501s are great (and dozens of other TB'ers think so too) and the pedullas are great too. no personal experience with the BTB's... :p

good luck.
  20. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    If you are looking for a decent playing and sounding six string in the $600.00 range your choices are going to be somewhat limited. For a little bit more money you might be able to get a used Yamaha TRB6 (very nice bass if you can deal with the neck width)or the John Myung signature six string.
    I own a Lakland 55-01 Deluxe and I think that it is a great bass. It does have a jazz bass vibe to it with the bridge pickup favored and it has a ton of usable nice tones in it. My bass was purchased for $675.00 used in mint condition and when I show it to other bass players, they are amazed at the quality versus price that I paid.
    I have played some of the high end Peavey's, ie. Cirrus, Millenium and G bass and I liked them all. The G bass particularly impressed me. These definitely were not the old T4,(a chiroprators dream).