Larry Graham's best bass work.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Larry46Graham, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Sly & The Family Stone

43 vote(s)
  2. Graham Central Station

76 vote(s)
  3. Solo

8 vote(s)
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
  1. Larry46Graham

Sep 28, 2005
    I think his work with the central station is the best.
  2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree..... GCS was a lot more bass-oriented anyways, even if most of their songs weren't as good as Sly's.
  3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    I'll go with GCS. actually.
  4. 1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    deffently GCS, does nybody know the tab or music to Pow?? please message me if u do.
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
  6. I used to play along with Sly and the Family Stone's "Anthology" and the Graham Central Station compilation. I will lean towards GCS, however, I can't ignore "Thank You" or the fuzz bass on "Dance to the Music."
  7. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    All of the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "GCS the baddest group from east to west!"
    I think he was at his peak during the GCS years.
  9. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC

I'm with you there......

maybe because his playing matured, or he felt free-er

is that a word? it is now LOL
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I feel that the full implications of style are much more evident with GCS than Sly. I'm getting the Larry Graham boxed set this Friday!!! :bassist:
  11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Hair is easily my favorite GCS tune - I've been trying to get that intro for years....., but The Jam is MY JAM.... Everytime I hear that one, I magine being in a group and I'm the one that goes around and plays all the instrument solo's on each instrument..... including the one by the female in the group that played on the FK1 Windvox or something like that and her solo had that machine gun sound in the middle..... I gotta go find my fro wig for that one!!!

I also likee the way that Larry sung bass. Hap E 2 C U A Gain, baw baw baw.... Hap E Cuz U R My Friend , baw baw baw.... Haven't seen you in a long long time (Schoo Bee Doo) Hap E that U'r Doin' Fine!! I LOVE that little Ditty!

It Ain't Nuttin' But A Warner Brother's PARTY!!!
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Everything Larry Graham has done has been great, but there was something special about GCS. One of my top 10 favorite bands of all time ....... :cool:
  13. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I like Hair the best, too. Incredible bass. Also, The Jam is phenominal playing, too.

If Hendrix were a bass player, I'd think he'd sound like Larry Graham.....listen to The Jam and you'll see what I'm talking about.
  14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I agree with you ALMOST.... he could have left "One In A Million" ALONE!!!
  15. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Oh, yeah, I should add Feel The Need----awesome tune!
  16. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    that fuzz tone in Dance to the Music comes from the old Acoustic 360, right?
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mario, don't dog Graham for "One in a Million." A man has got to pay the mortgage and eat. It's good to be loved by bassists, but a couple of hit records have put some money in Larry Graham's pockets hopefully.
  18. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Yeah, you're right... my mother-in-law LOVES that song, and I got a good bit of play back in the day doing a Larry G. imitation.... (I sang bass in HS & College Choruses) But the cover of the album.... the whole swooning tune.... I think to myself.... "That man can litearally make cabinets walk across a stage.... why is he doing this to me!!!???"

Cai't blame a Brotha for needing to get paid... we all gots to eat sum how!!
  19. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I went with GCS. But the chrorus bassline in "Can You Handle It?" is one of my favorites too. I used to freak out the soundmen at venues by playing the intro of "The Jam" all fuzzed out like that.
  20. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    what kind of music did GCS play?, was it funk like sly and the family stone? ,i've never heard them but i wonna check them out

if you want me to stay is an awsome bass line from larry in sly and the family stone