Last gig with an amp!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bstringrandy, Feb 27, 2024.

1. So the popular adage goes with age comes lighter gear. I turn 65 next month, what is wrong with me? IMG_2289.jpeg I took this out last weekend. It was a beautiful outdoor gig. I did it partly to prove to myself that I could still load and unload it. It was awesome! We recently upgraded our PA from passive sub/mains to a LD linear array system. The sad thing is that I now have a music room full of amps that I no longer need. We’re on IEMs so we’ll be amp-less on stage. I was using various amps to help fill in the low mids and low end depending on the venue. With the frequency response and power of the new system, it’s not required even at big outdoor venues. I’ll hold onto my stuff for awhile and rotate them as practice amps. From now on, just DI from the pedal board! :)

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    Welcome to the future!

3. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I’m 68 and making the transition from amps to pedalboard/di. I have some beautiful and well cared for gear that I see losing value every day. Love that Ric and fridge set up. I imagine it sounds like the voice of Rock and Roll, if not God !

El Thumpo, Gigas444, Ethix4 and 5 others like this.
  4. Dollar2

Dollar2 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2011
    The first time I went ampless, I was scared to death. I had my rig in the car just in case. Tough to let go but it was worth it.

5. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

That would break my heart, lol... :crying:

I don't see ampless/IEMs in my future, but at 66, the cabs I use range from 77 to 95 pounds, and the heads aren't real heavy.

Plus being the "PA Guy" I have to lug stuff anywayz, so I'm not sweating it for now. :)

6. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Ok if you mix out front otherwise a minefield of potential pain.

If your outfront mix is poor, iem are no use to the band.
    Its amazing how many people dont actually get this.
    I hear it a lot.

shoot-r, DWBass and bstringrandy like this.
  7. :) We have someone out front running the tablet for the PA FOH mix. She does an awesome job!

8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    If that were true, how could bands on IEMs rehearse after soundcheck with no PA (if time allows, or if you are the headliner and you can do as you please:D).

Based on my pro audio experience as well as a bassist that’s been in a couple of all-IEM bands, that doesn’t have to be the case at all.

As with most things, it’s just not that cut and dried.

GroovinOnFunk, drpepper, 31HZ and 2 others like this.
  9. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Because rehearsal is rehearsal and its about hearing yourself in relation to others in the band.
    Got nothing to do with whats happening outfront.
    And if you can't hear the gtr in the FOH and no one is there to fix it...your ears mix is pretty useless to the overall gig.
    Classic fail by bands running ears with no FOH mixerman.

shoot-r, bstringrandy and DWBass like this.
  10. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Nope. This doesn’t even make sense.

it’s pretty obvious for self-mixing bands that ears won’t work. We’re not even on that topic.

But as with all things….

You do you.

11. Tell me more about that gorgeous bass? Year? Woods? Pickups? Any mods? Weight?

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

This! Did an In Ear Monitor gig with a mix of midi tracks. Sounded good in the In Ears. No band in FOH! Only the midi tracks! Had no idea until the videos were produced! I was pissed as this was a highly anticipated show.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    bstringrandy likes this.
  13. Local pickup only?

_Obra_ and bstringrandy like this.
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My party band did that about ten years ago. I run my active bass to a passive direct box and into our digital board with wi-fi personal mix through cell phone app & in-ear monitors. Life is great!

One Way and bstringrandy like this.
  15. WRM

WRM Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2015
    StL
    Genuine curiosity on IEM gigs - how can/do your guitarists use/get "controlled feedback" when needed? Do they simply go "without"?...

bstringrandy likes this.
  16. It’s a 2017 4003W. Walnut body, maple neck. Mods are a Nordstrand “Nordenbocker” humbucker in the neck position. Stronger output and eliminates the 60hz hum. Also, a bridge pickup surround that has a thumb rest. All stock otherwise including Rickenbacker strings. Weighs about 9lbs. :)

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The fact that you have a volume control where you can turn them as low as you want in your mix is a far more important thing than the whole "look at me, I'm getting feedback" thing - which is always a crapshoot as to if it will work. If you're playing on a wooden stage, and have a FOH person that likes bass, a bassist can often get feedback that way from putting the headstock on the floor.

By the way, Fernandes makes sustainers for that, and there used to be a Boss pedal that did a very good fake feedback.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    WRM and bstringrandy like this.
  18. Yep. Bring a big truck. A couple were added since this was taken. :bassist:
    IMG_0918.jpeg

_Obra_, TexasHeat, WRM and 12 others like this.
  19. I know he still does pitch bend harmonics in his leads. Not sure about feedback. Maybe I haven’t missed it because it’s not part of our current set list. He’s running a Helix system that’s extremely versatile. :bassist:

WRM likes this.
  20. erayser

erayser

Dec 26, 2015
    San Diego
    Most of the guitar players I play with on a silent stage have Helix boards or an HX Stomp... the 3.70 update comes with a feedbacker preset that they can dial in. Lots of demos on it in YouTube.

WRM and bstringrandy like this.