1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LDS 8x8 Driver recomendations:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rapisme, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Hey folks currentlyhave this posted in the wanted:

Title states it all. recently picked up an 8x8 LDS 8x8 minus the drivers:
    Here's the construction post.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/lds-8x8-catch-fever-790683/

Of coarse Faitals would be the choice but economic times dictate otherwise.
    Hopefully the experts can chime in to give their recomendations.

Thanks TB!
    Rap

Any advice??

2. Have you contacted the builder about what drivers he recommends? Its a ported cab so you want to stay within the cabs tuning.

3. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Yes I did, Don suggested a 80 watt made in china driver. Which he stated for the weekend warrior would be fine unfortunate ly I'll be playing he can a lot more, as well as some others that he'll look into.
    Was just hoping if anyone had other suggestions.

Thanks for comment.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I thought I saw this cab on Ebay unloaded. Did you end up picking it up? An entourage of Selenium 8PW3-SLF might be a way to go as well. They come recommended for 4x8 bass cabs on parts-express.

5. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Yes i saw that as well..That was the one I was leaning to the most...

Don has another Idea. But my TB pal Zoob brought one from me with a slightly different set up..

Guess that's why I posted here so that my fellow TB'ers as well as cab makers chime and steer me in the right direction..

Thanks for the comment.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry for butting in but this is the cab Ralph is referencing....es muy bueno!

LDSVinny-1.

Neither of us can remember what drivers were used.

Riis

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
  8. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Whew!!! I can imagine but this guys budget can probably only afford 1 on those unless I sell 2/3rds of my gear.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Mine is a 2-8 cabinet, so yeah, 8 of them would get a bit pricy, but will sound awesome. :)

10. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    For less, how about the Ciare 8.50NdW? Very good Xmax, but not as much as the 8PR200 (of course, what is?). Slightly higher SPL, although more limited freq range.
    http://www.usspeaker.com/ciare 8.50ndw-1.htm

Or, how about staying Faital with the 8FE200? Save some serious dough. I've been looking at these for a long time as a cheaper 4x8 alternative to a Crazy 88.
    http://www.usspeaker.com/faital pro 8fe200-1.htm

Or how about maybe revising downward to a stagger-step 4x8 (ala 412 config) w/8PR200s? Or if you're using a micro amp, a vertical 4x8? Still would be tremendous.

To be quite honest (& as much as I've dreamed about an 8x8 myself, & I have), I just can't justify it when a full-range beastly 215 w/3015s or 15PR400s can be had for 1/2 the price (or less?) of an 8PR200-loaded 8x8. A 3015LF 215 w/two 18Sound 6.5s still comes in at way below an 8x8 w/8PR200s, & blows away the 8x8.

That Selenium's range is very nice, but its SPL is low & it's Xmax is very low. I'd definitely go 8FE200 way before the Selenium. You can always use a Selenium D220Ti high frequency driver with a Selenium HC23-25 or HM25-25 (would be my choice) horn.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  12. bb03

bb03

Mar 1, 2009
    CT
    The first Dayton you listed seems to be the "long throw" eight that Don (LDS) used to use:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/swr-8-speakers-501580/index2.html

rp, what about these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=292-212

They seem very good in the power handling/freq. response/xmax specs. I'm too clueless about TS parameters to know the rest of the story...but the price is awesome!

13. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Yeah, being that Faitals where originally mon
    United in this cab I'm leaning heavily towards those as the come closet to what was there before!

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The QTS is too high for a vented box and the Fs is a bit on the high side (you really want no higher than 50-55hz for a bass cab), and the sensitivity is kinda blah for the FS to be so high.

15. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    The Faital 8FE200 has a rather high resonant frequency of 80 Hz, as well as a high electrical Q which makes it better suited for a sealed cabinet, but you could use it.

The Selenium also has a fairly high resonant frequency, high elecrical Q, and modest excursion. Of the two, the Faital 8FE200 looks better to me.

Finding eight 8" speakers that "won't break the bank, sound amazing at an outdoor gig and... can play pretty constant without fear of blowing out the drivers" isn't easy to do.

I looked over a couple of websites and didn't see anything that obviously meets all of your criteria. Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in low-priced 8" bass guitar speakers.

Dizzy right now.
    Ralf Patterson.
    Bill Fritzmaurice.
    Some named cab builder Designer make a statement.

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Agreed in respect to the resonant frequency.

As mentioned, as much as the idea of an 8x8 (greatly) appeals to me, I keep coming back to a 215 with or without mids and/or high frequency driver/horn.

17. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Ok spoke with Don at LDS! Drivers will be shipped on Tuesday! Along with the specs! No they're not Dayton's or eminence but a custom driver that he has made for him specifically! According to Don he A B them to a higher end driver and indicated that they sounded really good with a little less in the miss but with more bass!
    Now if I can find the device that is use to plug the ports in the rear then I could probably get them a little tighter!

Any port hole suggestions?

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I've got LDS long throw 8"s in my BBII.
    Once figured how they'd do in a Henry 8X8.
    160w X 8 = 1280w handling.
    Hmmm! :)
    Didn't do any cab measurements though.
    They sure pants flap in a BBII.
    But I did use Don's advice.

19. bb03

bb03

Mar 1, 2009
    CT

Plumbing test plug:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TESTTITE-Test-Plug-3EJN4?Pid=search

These are similar to the ones Duke uses in his TC112.

20. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    This is the problem when buying an unloaded cabinet.
    You really can't put any 8" in it and expect it to perform no matter how great or expensive the cabinet is. The tuning of the cabinet and its internal cubic ft. are important factors.
    I would go with Don's recommendation for the original drivers, although they are not your preference. Cabinets are built around the drivers considering their T/S parameters. Trying to find replacement driver, other than the original for a particular cabinet doesn't usually end well. My comment is more than just in my opinion and it was free lol.