Lead Guitarist a Weasel...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ZAR14, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    So I had this idea to start a Pretenders Tribute band, I play Bass. I placed an ad, found a husband and wife duo, (she Sings/ plays guitar, he plays Keys).
    She mentioned a Lead Guitar player, someone I had dealings with a cpl yrs ago. To say the least, I wasn't crazy about the idea, he has an Ego and a bad attitude. She asked me to give him a chance, said "He's a good guitarist". I said I'd go with it, but don't be surprised when poop happens.
    We had ONE practice and he wanted to start adding songs, get a Band name and logo and create a website.
    Long story short, he's retired and has all the available time to learn songs, the rest of us work for a living. We had about a dozen songs down, some good, others not so good and he wanted to keep adding new songs. In the end, I had to push the issue of Quality over Quantity,to no avail, behind my back he was saying that I lack motovation. I said "I'm Done" and walked.
    Now I hear that this jerk is trashing me and spreading lies about me. There are times you'd really like to slap someone!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Some weasels don't change their stripes. :rollno::rage::banghead:

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I wouldn’t sweat it. His reputation proceeds him.

maxmaroon, Cheez, DirtDog and 3 others like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You knew the guy is a jerk & you allowed him to come in & turn your bandmates against you?

5. Shouldn't this be in band management instead of basses?

6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    To be fair, you’re trashing him right now…

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA

9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The OP's statements aren't tied to an identifiable individual.

10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Is his name Ben?

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They are if that individual sees what he wrote.

12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

"They are if that individual sees what he wrote."

True. If a guitarist closely follows a Bass forum.

13. Ironic. In the original Pretenders lineup, apparently the guitarist was a wonderful bloke and the bass player was a weasel!

Loring, tepperware, TC424 and 2 others like this.
  14. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Haha I thought of the same thing, Bushisms.

catcauphonic likes this.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It would be far from the first time it happened here.

That’s besides the point anyway. If it’s bad to trash someone, it’s bad to trash someone, whether they know you’re doing it or not doesn’t change it.

Tbone76, Loring, fhm555 and 2 others like this.
  16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Ah, c'mon fellas ... that's what the band management forum is for ... to trash band mates. Isn't it? :rolleyes:

To the OP, forget it. If YOU knew his reputation, so does everyone else who matters.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Why did you agree to let him join the band? Why not say no? Being a "nice guy" and passive has a price.

oldrocker, joebar, Spectrum and 12 others like this.
  18. Has this turned into a passive vs active thread...?

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Gonna be the first guy here to play advocate for that red scary looking dude with the horns...

Sounds like this guy wants to get things moving along, sooner as opposed to later. I get how his intentions don't work with your schedule, but I'm not too sure that throwing the towel in was the best choice. Hearing someone out and then discussing it with the others and coming to compromises seems like a better way to go if you want to have a successful band.

Doesn't it seem like they'll be better off with him and not you than the other way around?

Why would you not try to go along with his plans? A band name is a good thing to think about and agree upon - sooner, better than later. If he's all excited about a website, he can work on one. That'll take up his song learning time for sure. Then you could take whatever songs he suggests, and learn whatever you can. You'll have to put in a lot of work if you want the band to get off the ground. And be good.

I don't know all the details so I'm sure there's an argument for everything I said - but I don't see that guy being out of line. I see him being enthusiastic, which is great. I'd much rather take a deep breath and deal with someone like that, than someone who doesn't have time to learn songs and think about what needs to be done to get a band off the ground.

If you want a laid back hobby kind of thing that rehearses more than it gigs, that's fine too - and then I guess it's all good. You shouldn't be with these people, and you're not.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    With what I just said in my previous post - I think so :).

I would have worded it differently if I saw your post before writing it though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022