1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LEAVE MY BASS ALONE!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter S, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Peter S

Peter S

Nov 27, 2008
    Northern Ireland
    I hate it when lead guitarists lift my bass without my permission and play what they think is bass. Then sometimes they do ask if they can have a go and it dosn't seem right to say "No".

I am 59 and started playing when I was 15. But I then had a 25 year break to do sport and anyway had to sell my gear to raise money to raise kids (there's a thankless gesture).

Since I started to listen to music seriusly at 15 I never wanted to play anything but bass. I remember Hendrix, Clapton and Rory Gallagher etc but it was the bass lines I loved. I never played air guitar - just air bass! When I started again I discovered my favourite Stevie Wonder songs had the best bass lines. Long story short the bass is what holds the music together and if you are a bopper gives it the bop. Lets face it the bass is the best.

So I don't understand why it annoys me so much when guitarists want to play my bass. I don't feel challenged because the lead guitarists don't seem to understand groove and some of their internal metronomes are way crazy off. I can't play fast lead of course but I don't feel the need.

Am I alone in this? Can you advise me what my problem is please? Shrinks are very expensive here in Ireland.

2. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Maybe they're realizing what your realized 45 years ago...bass is king in some folks eyes.
    Embrace it, share the wealth and knowledge. Convert some folks, perhaps.
    At least they're not ignoring you, your playing or your equipment.

Could be worse - they could be setting your stuff on fire.

3. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Well I am sorta messed up on metrenome. But, you have a right to feel anyway you want and if I was you I guess I wouldn't let anybody play my bass either. Which I don't I tell everybody not to touch it. I put a sign around the neck of my bass whenever inbetween sets saying "Plz don't touch". One person tried to touch it and our drummer a stocky guy with a mohawk smashed him in the face ahh punk bars.

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Try "No, you're not a hot chick!" instead.

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Maybe keep your case on or near the stage and put your bass away when you are not playing. At least this will draw a line in the sand and slow them down. Just an idea :cool:

6. SassyS

SassyS

Jul 24, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Use this sign:

danger.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Three things of mine not to touch: my woman, my motorcycle, and my instrument.

As for bass being king, hell yes! I never realized it until I started being the bass player.

8. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    I have a standard answer when someone I don't know wants to handle any of my equipment. Goes something like this...

If I mess up my stuff, I'll have to live with it.
    If you mess with my stuff, you might die for it.

I haven't had any regrets with using this approach in over 30 years. Just sayin'...

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Plenty of people reached 20 yrs., or older-without learning basic manners/courtesy.

10. my bands guitar player had to learn the hard way. he plays guitar with a really heavy touch and that translated when he decided to try picking up my bass (plugged into a amp that can shake soundproof rooms) and played a open A while standing too close and couldent hear in his left ear for 3 days

11. Life's too short to wind your identity/ego/self worth in a physical object. ANY physical object. Yo Yo Ma is famous for letting quite average cellists play the 1712) Davidov Stradivarius. I'm pretty sure that's worth more than your bass. Every thing I own has dings put in it by some kid.

In all seriousness. I'm 54 and life got a lot easier and funner when I stopped measuring myself by what I owned and or it's condition or worth and just got busy with the experience of using (and sharing it). I never really cared who sat on my drums to "have a go." and I quite readily hand a $3500 cello and a $500 wooden recorder to small children (the same thing as a guitarist, right? ; ) all the time.

Let it be fun.

Mug

12. edt844

edt844

Sep 9, 2010
    Chalfont, PA
    "Sure and while you play my Bass, let me play your [treasured] Strat/Tele/Les Paul."

13. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Murge, I agree that life is too short to get wrapped up over a physical object, but for those who like me make a living with my equipment, the issue is straightforward - Leave my stuff alone. I don't have expensive equipment, but I depend on it regularly and don't have the time or resources to replace/repair an injury that could have been avoided by simply saying no. If someone wants to see what it feels like to play a bass, they can go to Guitar Center and have at it.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not exactly the same. The kid will feel bad if they scratch your guitar. :D

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    If they ask politely I'll usually say ok, unless they're drunk, or just seem to be full of ****.

I don't measure myself by what I have. I just can't afford to replace it or repair it unnecessarily.

16. THIS!

Made me laugh out loud for real.

17. rzpooch

rzpooch

Nov 14, 2007
    Bonney Lake Wa
    My gear isn't all that great, but I paid for it. I say go buy your own and leave mine alone! I rarely let anyone play my basses, and if I don't know you, don't even bother.

18. I always say "Sure! No problem. I'll just need to hang onto your b@lls, for collateral- you understand....let's see....hmmm...OK, wait, ...no, turn this way a little,.......something.....I think....there! OK, go right ahead!"

19. Peter S

Peter S

Nov 27, 2008
    Northern Ireland
    See guys. With a few exceptions it's not just me! It just does not seem right.

Suppose I should be more laid back but it's like a guy running his hand over my leg. Has not happenned yet but if it did the first time I tell him I'm not wired that way; second time I remove his hand (from his arm).

I am honestly beginning to believe when some guitarists see the contribution the bass makes to the song and the scope we have they wish they had been bass players. Consider how we can add a fill between chords which can be different every time. I wouldn't usually do this - bass is not for showboating unless you'r Jaco. Also sometimes we play a full chord arppegio - much more fun!

The time I referred to we were recording. The song had 8 tracks (incl vocals overdub) laid down and when you turned the bass track to "mute" it sounded like a battleship turned into a rowing boat and this is not heavy metal.

Thanks for comments and laugh guys. Pete

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    No thanks, I don't need to have somebody go smoking my a__ on my own instrument!