1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leduc basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    So I played my first one today, and.... I want one. I realize this ultimate purpose of this thread (i.e. the location and eventual acquisition of a Leduc) might be better served in the WTB Forum, but I'm also looking for more information about Leducs in general. I've been to the website, but sadly, I speak no French, and the English version is, in a word, atrocious. I'd love any information people have about the various models, and especially information about the line that Christophe Leduc had crafted in Japan (like, how to tell between one of those and a 'true' French Leduc).

And, um......... anyone have a bead on one? Know any stores that might stock this sort of thing? I checked a lot of the usual suspects tonight (The Low End, Austin Bass Traders, Bass Central, etc) tonight with obviously no luck, but I would love to hear if there are any other suggestions, particularly reputable dealers in Europe or Asia who might carry a used or new Leduc. Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Pardon the groaner, but I just imagined you in an Elmer Fudd hunting getup, waiting patiently in a "le-duck" blind, with binoculars, looking for a Leduc to fly by.

3. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Very nice bass, beautiful sound, but I can't really compare it with anything else, because it's only the second bass I've ever played. I can imagine it would be difficult to find one over in the States - I live in Switzerland, and if you look around you come across the occasional used Leduc on European Ebay-like sites, if not on Ebay itself. I agree with you about their website - it's pretty dismal. I'm trying to find out more about my own bass - nothing doing. I think it's one of those cases where they get so much word of mouth business that they really don't need to put any effort into their site. Lucky them.

The only criticism I've read about the bass I own it the lack of sustain in the fretted notes, and I've noticed that particularly on the E string. (But again, I've nothing to compare it to, so that's pretty worthless. Sorry.)

Which Leduc did you play, btw?

Here are two I found doing a quick search. Pretty pricey, even used:

http://instrument-musique.vivastree...e-grande-57250/basse-leduc-4-cordes/9177454/p

http://market.local.ch/it/d/5Dm1FDcqLMdSah-fmJ466w?what=musiker&start=24

This one's cheap, but it doesn't look like anything I've seen from Leduc. It looks like a passive PAD, without the recessed knobs.

http://paris.kijiji.fr/c-Jeux-Cultu...k-tbe-4-cordes-avec-housse-W0QQAdIdZ103653104

This looked nice:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130273910121

If I were you I'd contact this seller - write him in very simple, polite English, and ask him if he knows where you can get a Leduc. Obviously there will be a lot floating around in France - in any other country it will be considered a rarity and priced accordingly. You need to find someone in France who sells used stuff.

Happy hunting!

4. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    AH! Had been trying to think of that site... couldn't recall it for some reason at 0030 last night. :smug:

Thanks! Keep the info coming!

5. Might as well add that I've played two Leduc U-Basses - a five string and a six string - in different shops, over the years. Both were wonderful instruments. So be warned, if you try one, you might not be able to resist buying it...* ;)

* Yet, I didn't. Both because they were too expensive for me at the time, and because I prefer four strings, and shorter-than-long-scale scale lengths.

6. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

I've got a Signature series Custom Shop Masterpiece 6er that I'm in love with. I'd freakin kill for a 4 string fretted U-bass though.

7. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Struck out with Dan Lenard... he sent me a polite but brief email basically saying that other than the two that are part of his personal collection, he doesn't carry them and doesn't know of a source for them. :atoz:

Oh well... on to the next path...

8. Hi

I play a Pad 5 and a Masterpiece 5 which are both beautiful sounding basses well crafted and carefuly designed.

I replied once to Terribilino's thread :"Having trouble finding Leduc reviews" have a look.

I just had a look at the Leduc website in English, and think it is different from the usual but I can find the specifications...

I can see there is no distribution in your country, I think that means that Christophe Leduc manages that himself.

Once I asked some questions by mail to Christophe and the answer was quick and very informative, so I think you should ask him which bass wold be fine for your music.

I am in France, so if I can help mail me: I am always watching on Leduc basses for myself. :smug:

9. dave79

I sent him an email(as listed on website) a week ago and haven't gotten a response, what email address did you use?

10. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That's all great info, thanks very much! Although if you're hunting for Leducs too, I'm not entirely sure I can trust you. :ninja:

11. oh yes you are right:D

but I'd love to make you smile, share that addiction and make friends here too.

You know, when I bought the Masterpiece 5, I thought I would sell the Pad then, but I can't really, this bass is so good...

And now I come back from a guitar show with luthiers' exhibition and masterclasses (with Dominique DiPiazza and Fred Monino:hyper:) in september 08 in south of France.

Fred Monino plays a fretless Ubass 5, he is a great bassist who teaches jazz in the Montpellier university. So he managed to organize the bass masterclasses with his friend Dominique and he made Christophe Leduc come. This is a rare event for Christophe had'nt shawn his creations for 7 years...

We could see two new beautiful L axes, a guitar and a bass, and a new and an old Ubasses.

L instruments are the special unique instruments top of the art, made only one time.

The L bass is an awsome masterpiece 5, which I keep in mind every day. I think it's Christophe personal bass at the time.

I'll mail Cristophe to try ask a pic.

12. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    The Low End has had two or three of these gems in the past few months. Man, was I jonesing for those basses!! But, I have never played them. The floating cedar top construction on the semi-acoustics is a very interesting idea. Isn't that like the Basslines Worp acoustic?

Check out this french guy with a LeDuc fretless playing Jaco tunes. Frederic Monino is his name.

13. Yes Dave88 I use the same mail adress, perhaps is he busy at the time...

14. dave79

Thanks, got an email this morning. Leduc Guitares is also on myspace if anybody's interested.

15. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    GAH! Those two UBasses are exactly what I want! And it looks like he had them in fairly rapid succession! I PM'ed Brian, but he didn't seem to have any additional information except that he had 'em and sold 'em. :meh: It would be nice to know if either of those buyers were lookin' to move them again... :bag:

16. I have a mail from Christophe Leduc this morning:hyper:
    he send me two pics of his recent creation that I want to show you here because I love this one. L0007 is a special masterpiece 5 with a walnut body.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28012229@N06/sets/72157614456243352/

Christophe says he wants to improve the website soon.

The last news I have are improvements on the U-Basse with a new sounding board, new piézo, Midi added...

The masterpiece has been completely redesigned

17. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    WOW! That L0007 is amazing!

I really should email Christophe. I'm interested in the new U Bass improvements, but a new one is probably just out of my range. Who knows... maybe we'll have one conversation and I'll just cave. I don't know what year the one I played was, but it sounded about perfect... I'm not sure what else could be improved on it. Still on the hunt for one of my own!

18. Hi Hollowman, great you found a ubass... please tell the story and show pic... thanks

19. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Hey, my old thread! And thanks for asking!

A TB'er who had purchased one of the two that Brian at The Low End had offered to sell his. I'm in DC and he's in Baltimore, so I drove up this past weekend. It sounds amazing, but the condition is not exactly stellar. I've emailed Christophe Leduc about possibly having him go over it, so we'll see what he says.

Either way, it's quite nice to have one. It's got an incredible woody/acoustic sound to it, and I'm surprised at how similar it can be to my Rob Allen Mouse in that regard. The previous owner put some F Bass rounds on it, but I'm thinking of swapping them out for some flats, although not sure what brand.

Here's a pic from The Low End's sold gallery... when I get more time, I'll take some of my own and post them.
    CIMG7108.