1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left Handed Bassists....put your pics here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Bassmonkey, May 10, 2010.

1. Hey everyone,

Thought it would be nice for the Lefties to have their own gear thread in addition to the many standard 'show us your gear' threads.

Its always difficult to find a Left handed bass that isnt violin sunburst or just plain black so I thought it would be nice for people to put their lefty pics up here so that other leftys know that there are other basses around!!!

Ill post mine when i get home, at work right now and just thought of it! Looking forward to seeing those basses!

Lee

P.S If you would like to put where you got your bass and cost, feel free!

P.P.S Apologies if this has already been done, i did quite a few searches but couldnt find anything left related :(

2. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    who cares if there is a thread out there in the misc called "lefty union", this can be a thread for showing basses anyway.

I play both righty and lefty so in this thread, here's my lefty's:

a couple 88 Charvels
    P1010201.

my Charvel Warrior copy:
    P1010218.

3. P2030109.
    TOP: My Conklin GT7 7string
    BOTTOM: My F-bass BN5 5 string. Extremely happy to have both ultra rare basses. :)
    And yes, both are just amazing in their own manner.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I personally think lefty basses look cool.

5. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    we already know ;)

so where where those pics Lee, it's 4 days later because after Graham Monette's post with his 2, we got cheap (mine), and unbelievable (his) and now we need a lot to fill in the gap.

6. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm a lefty, but play bass like a righty. Don't know if my bass stuff will be any help. Oddly enough I picked it up naturally righty. Guitars though, I naturally pick up lefty. Something different about fingerstyle vs. playing with a pick. Same way with the bow on a double bass. Want the bow in the left hand.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Jazz01-1.
    SR800s.
    Atk09a.
    Jazz06a.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  8. Im sorry im sorry!

I couldnt get the pics to come out like alot of other people on here! They are really small because they have to be 640x640 and only 150kb (from what i recall)

So i have taken the pics, ill post them after work today i promise. They will be up today :)

Thanks to everyone that has so far contributed :)

9. this might sound stupid, but couldn't you guys have just made an effort to learn right? i mean your are equally as bad on both sides when you start aren't you?

10. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    bassmonkey, just upload the pics to photobucket, flicker or one of those sites. then all you have to do is post the links from their sites to here, the one that has the [​IMG]

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    This question has been hashed to death in several previous lefty threads. It's not topical, either, but it does raise a question; who are you to say what's right for me?

12. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Ok, here ya go...

Fender MIM Jazz, Warmoth neck, Fender Custon Shop '60's pups.

FJB2.

SX PJ, stripped and refinished neck, rounded headstock.

SXPJbody3.

SXPJneck1.

SX P, with a neck from an SX 75JB LTD.

SXPpearlneck1a.

DSCF1137a.

SX SJB75.

SXJB2.

DSCF1128a.

The Fender wearing the 'Bling'.

MIMJazzcovers2.

Wmoth1.

13. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    when someone asks me why I play inverted like Jim Haslep, I say why do you play non-inverted in the first place because to me that makes no sense going up the neck and down the strings rather than up the neck and up the strings?....

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I just get tired of idiots telling me that I'd be better off if I only learned to do things their way. It's my money, my time, my talent, my life damn it; it's none of their business how I spend it.

15. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Agreed...I see your point.

In alot of these lefty threads this usually pops up; I get tired of it too. Then some genius states that "then your dominant hand would be fretting, and that would be better."...not realizing that if that were true, then all the righty's should/would be playing left handed.

I started playing because it felt [DEL]right[/DEL]....a hell of a lot more natural to me than the....other way.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  16. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    I'm almost 100% lefthanded, however, I play bass and guitar righthanded... as a matter of fact, if I try to play a lefthanded bass I eventually end up dizzy, sometimes with a headache.

17. Absolutely, refer to my sig for how I really feel.
    I wanted to learn how to play a lefty bass: not thwarted because of the "selection" issues; but merely because if its easiest for right handed players to play the way they do, then there is reason to the madness. If it made sense for them to pick with their right hand, then I thought the path of least resistance is for me to pick with my left. Thats why I stuck to playing left-handed, despite the obvious horrendous lack of DECENT lefty basses out there.

I too get very frusterated when shopping for basses, as there is ONE guitar store in my city of Calgary (1.1million people) that has a decent selection; meaning a piddly 5 lefty basses. :scowl: All are well under $1k. :( and play as such.

So I dicked around online (read:ebay) to find my Conklin GT7. Quite a rare find, as I've had that bass for three years now, only 1 other GT7 has popped up since. When I saw it come up with its "Buy it now" feature, I pushed that button without a moments hesitation LOL. All Righty GT7's until both of those times. Brice and Galveston both make a few nice 6 & 7 string lefty basses. I'd check out both of those for the players looking for a value priced extended range bass.
    Here are a few great links for other south paw players.

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_bass.htm
    ^^ *FANTASTIC* link
    http://www.gaskellguitars.com/models.html

I found my F-bass by asking around. I knew the local luthiers, and said that Im looking of a decent lefty bass. So a few months later one of them re-fretted this Fbass BN5, and talked to the owner to see if he wanted to sell it. Sure enough, $1500 later Im now the (extremely) proud owner of my BN5.
    Yes, this bass really is worth $4k new. I feel like Victor Wooten each time I pick this up, its amazingly easy to play, you have NO idea. :D
    Now looking for a F-bass BN6 to add to the collection. Its everything I've ever wanted in a bass; it fits your body to a T, and the playability surpasses what I ever though possible for an instrument.
    EDIT:
    WOW. your (youtube) Racer X cover is quite impressive.

18. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Amimbari, I see you found a lefty pink Charvel 2B. Here's mine:

Attached Files:

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    Alembic lefty bass bought in 1979

[​IMG]

Late 70's Fender P-bass with Jazz bridge pickup
    [​IMG]

Current duo - SX P-bass and modded '77 Mustang

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    P1060165-1.

OK...I cheated. Photobucket.

I'm lefty, but my first bass teacher told me I had to play righty. I did, and it works for me. Now I have many more choices with which to drain my wallet.

Interestingly, I still "air bass" lefty, because it feels more natural, but when I actually try to play that way, I can't. I still think lefty bass playing looks cooler...