Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Length of your 'B' String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KSB - Ken Smith, Mar 29, 2005.

1. 36.5" From Ball to Silk or Taper

23.3%
  2. 37" From Ball to Silk or Taper

30.8%
  3. 38" From Ball to Silk or Taper

24.0%
  4. 39" From Ball to Silk or Taper

18.5%
  5. 40" From Ball to Silk or Taper

11.6%
  6. Other length? Please explain in your Post !

6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I am conducting this Poll/Thread to better understand the needs of all Multi-String Bassists regardless or the Brand or Model Bass you use/own. Your contribution will be helpful in the development of Strings to better fit your Bass and make Size availability less of a burden when shopping in the future.

To best know what Length of String you need/use, measure the String from the 'Ball End', including the Ball untll it just passes the Nut up by the Headstock. This is the "Minimum" length needed. Now, measure the Length from the Ball again and up to the 'B' String Tuning Post. This is the maximum length needed.

For Example, a 34" scale Bass will need at least 35.5" to 36.5" to clear the nut. 36.5" to 38" is the average range of length available for these Basses. With Basses being so 'non-standard, it is necessary to classify Bass String needs as "Regular", "Long" or even "Extra-Long" for 'String-thru Body'.

"One Size Fits All" is no longer possible these days. I think we need to "measure-up" all the Basses out there that we could possibly find.. Please get involved in your Stringing future by participating here. Thank You, Ken...

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I'll wait to vote until I get home and can measure for sure, but I seem to recall needing at least 40" for my B if not more. I play a Dingwall though and having a 37" speaking length makes it a bit away from the norm Id imagine.

3. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    My bass is a 36" scale 6-String so most normal strings don't fit, so I would say that 39" would fit my bass.

It's a balance act, because if the string is too long you will end up with those thick windings on the tuner key itself and you don't want that either.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Ok, now we're talking.. Measure your Bass as I described and let's find out the optimum length you need. Please also tell us the make and model of your Bass or if it is a custom one-off..

5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Just past the nut measures 96 cm or 38" and to the tuning post measures 102 cm or 40". This is for my 6-Sting fretted bass.

My fretless 6-String ( also a 36" scale ) measures 97 cm or 38,2" past the nut and 102 cm or 40" to the tuning post.

Both my basses are custom made Morch basses from Denmark. None of the basses features strings through body.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    It sounds like 39" would be perfect for both or your Basses.. 40" will work for Roundwounds but 39" would be optimim for any type string.

7. My Stambaugh 6 needs 38" to go through the body; regular(long-scale)length work for top-load. Another thing I've noticed, Ken, is that when I temporarily replaced the original Foderas w/some old KS strings I had lying around, the tapered portion of the B goes about 1" past the saddle. Not a huge deal, but I normally sometimes pluck back there(but I don't like to on the thinner, tapered part). Hope this helps.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    39 inches on 35" scale Yamaha RBX-775 fretted and fretless five-strings, 38 inches on a 34" Ibanez SR-1206 six-string, and 37 inches on a 34" Fender Jazz Plus V five-string (not the current production Fender Jazz five). Listed them as the poll only allows one vote per user.

Hope this is of help, and good luck with the project!

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    BTW, I have allowed the option for multiple voting so you can choose the 'B' length for each of the Basses you have.

bassteban, like the thread here is about, there are many Bass sizes as well and playing styles. You would need to measure the exact amount of Taper you need. Perhaps a Barrel of some sort could be slid onto the String b4 installing it to pull the Tapered part back to the exact spot you need it to be.. Just a thought...

10. ...I'm only using these til I can afford some new strings. I prefer non-tapered, but figured knowledge is power- more power to ya!

11. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Ken, I would need a 38" string for my Fender RBV; 34" scale, string thru the body. I have also found that the 3 sets of strings I have used on this bass, the D string comes up short, I can only get 1.5 - 2 wraps around the tuner post :meh:

H2

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    HB2, Are you saying that WITH a 38" wound string, the string spread after the wrapping is still too short with the Silk is, or Should be?

Is the 'D' string the furthest from the Nut like a 4/1 configuration?

If the 38s are too short, you could order the 'D' as a 40" and not have that problem.. I don't know what the other companies offer but we custom pack many sets by request at the same price to accomodate. I am sure there are other string companies that could to the same but that also depends on where you buy your strings.

"Thie is NOT a Commercial", I am just making a suggestion to help.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Damn, I keep forgetting to do this measurement for you when I have my bass in hand. I really will try and get you some numbers for the Dingwall though hehe.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I play a Lakland 55-01. It's 35" scale, but I striung it through the body, so I need about 38".

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    bassman314, the best way to measure I think would be to put a small mark on the string between the Nut and the 'B' Tuning Post. Measure from the Ball to the Mark with the String being straight and off the Bass. This tells us the best winding length needed for your Bass including any bends or angles that might alter an 'on-the-Bass measurement..

Thx for your participation and Vote.

16. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    37.5" from ball to tuner, so I only use 36.5" B strings. I don't like when the speaking length gets wrapped around the tuner.

I think the best way is to package B strings separately, as it is already the case with Slick Rounds.

17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Yes Ken, I have a 4+1 headstock on my Fender Roscoe Beck 5. I currently have a set of DA Chromes / ECB81-5SL (38") that go thru the body on the RBV, all but the 'D' string fit well. The D sting's silk clears the nut, but the silk comes up short at the D string tuner/post; it's mostly bare wire on the tuner. A 40" string may work. :eyebrow: Thanks for the tip!

Steve

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah.. that's what I did. 35" voiced length. The ball to the saddle is about 2". Nut to Tuner is 'bout an inch.

19. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    I play a 39" scale 6 string Knuckle w/ a low F#. The strings are 42" which is about the length of a 3/4 URB string. Any chance the Ken Smith tooling is long enough to make a string of that length?

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    From the ball to just past the nut is 39", 41" to the tuning post. So I guess I need a string thats at least 39 inches to the silk, and 42" overall to wrap around the post about twice.

That sound right?