Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool in Hallucino-Genetics

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Apr 1, 2005.

1. So I finally bought this DVD the other day, and sat in front of the tv watching it with the bass plugged in, and playing along (BADLY) to like... maybe 35% of it... the rest of the time, I was too busy staring blankly at the TV while trying to pickup this guy's chops...
    [​IMG]
    Damn weird techniques he uses... like I'd be listening to his riff and forming an idea in my head of how to execute it, and then what he's actually doing has nothing to do with it...

Like in American Life Im listening to a riff that sounds like Slap but he's sweeping his picking hand way slower than I was imagining...

Bloody hell, he's just an awesome bassplayer... I wish I could nail down half of the techniques that he so effortlessly mingles in his playing.

Oh and what was that Stick that he was playing right at the end of Tim's drum solo? :eek:

2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I just bought this dvd a couple weeks ago and I really like it. I was most impressed with American Life as well because I had never seen them play that live before.

That would be the Whamola.

[​IMG]

He plays it on one song on Frog Brigade's Purple Onion album

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    American life is as simple as claypool makes it seem. With bass playing and slap especially you need to watch the left hand. His right hand is doing a simple slap/flamenco pattern, but his left hand is throwing some speedy hammer ons.

4. Yeah, Matt I figured about the left hand, its the right that was really confusing me... so, instead of slap-pop, hes doing slap-strum?

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, Claypool uses strumming a lot. And I mean A LOT. When I got decent at strumming, a lot of Claypool's songs became a lot easier. ;) It's like strumming a guitar without a pick.

6. The most mind numbing thing i find about les's technique is his ability to SING while playing and not just sing simple things, sing at a differnt beat then the bass line, and with weird ass lyrics, the best evidence of this is tommy the cat, you need to have that riff down in your head so tight that you can do it without thinking before you can sing and play it, then u need to memorize those lyrics, wow

also Claypool slap/strums in other songs like bob, eleven, groundhog's day, kalamazo, and pleny more.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah Les Clayppol is definitely one of my heroes. I THINK I can almost play American Life decently close to being right, but I need some sort of something to freakin record!

I've learned a lot of things from DVDs, I was doing them wrong until I watched him.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    About Claypool's singing and playing, it's very strange, the only songs I can play and sing are Primus songs. I have trouble with something like Monster Magnet, but I can play/sing American Life, Tommy the Cat, To Defy the Laws of Tradition, etc... but not something riff rocky. I think it's because slap is so rhythmic... I dunno.

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    That's why they call him "the man with two brains".

10. and rightfully so!

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You guys like the original drummer or this one better? I havent decided yet.

12. this one is the origonal drummer, he left the band after tales from the punchbowl, brain was the drummer from then on till now when herbie is back, i like herb better, but they are both fantastic

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I did not know that! Very cool fact. Man they have been around for ever! I remember when i watched them at the woodstock show and brian was playing with them then! I guess i just thought he was always the drummer. Cool thanks!~

14. herb played at woodstock94 i dont recall hearing of them playing woodstock99 if they did play it brian was def there drummer, primus has been aroudn since the late 80s

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    up and down strumming. he picked that style up from stanley clarke. bunch your struming fingers up almost in a fist and then -pow- just strum out your fingers.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Technically, Tim Alexander isn't the original drummer :ninja: /nerd

17. well the orignal drummer when primus got 'made it', i know Les Claypool is Primus's only 'real' origonal member, but tim and ler are the origonal band mates in my mind, those other guys are just footnotes imo :bag:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sausage was cool...

19. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    Claypool = a dude :D

I can play most of the simple primus stuff, and getting a lot of the harder songs down now. It gets a lot easier once you get the strumming down. I could never do the singing and playing together tho :oops:

20. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    sausage was amazing IMO