1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's See Your Hot-Rodded Cheapo Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monterey Bay-ss, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Ontario
    I'll have to post pics later. Ibanez sr405 i picked up for 250 cdn including hardshell case. Swapped pickups for bassline 5 string jazz pickups i found on clearance. Added an active/passive switch. Swapped the opamp for a tl072 I had laying around. Gutted a di box and rewired the input jack so 9volts comes through a trs cable to power the preamp from a one spot wall wort. I think the pickups made the biggest difference.

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    My SX Jazz .
    Dimarzio Area Js
    Audere 4 band classic pre
    Schaller bridge
    Gotoh string tee
    Replaced neck screws with threaded inserts and machine screws .
    S7300904.JPG S7300907.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Glenn Mac

Glenn Mac

Nov 19, 2017
    Green one looks great!

4. Glenn Mac

Glenn Mac

Nov 19, 2017
    Looks really good with that stain!

Fenwick likes this.
  5. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

I have another! I finally found a 5-string precision bass for a better match to the instrument that kicked off this thread than my ATK (I love both sounds, but want both sounds in 4s and 5s). It needed a bit of help getting there, but I think I have it now.

Before:
    B0F40E48-B9C2-459F-8E61-14131F1E7B99.

After:
    29478988-0D89-4007-A953-0169EA798D4F.

~250 USD for the bass (paid a bit more, but they included a nice PRS bag that I would value around 45). 55 for black pickguard, 60 for Hipshot Kicka$$ bridge, 12 for Schaller strap buttons, 135 for Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup ... so once again, mods about equal the cost of the base instrument for me. I think I'll try an M&V Atlas pickup when they've finished their move and can get me one (I've already paid for it, but didn't want to wait until September for this thing to sound right), and I might go mirror or gold anodized for the pickguard down the line (I know everybody loves their tort, but I don't need a thread to tell me that tort's not the best pickguard for metal :D). I might opt for a different finish down the line (as you can see in the "before" shot, the grain in the body parts wasn't lined up especially well), but the burst has grown on me, especially since I went to the black 'guard; if I did refinish today, I would go with solid orange.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  6. Nice one! The M&V Atlas is great (as you know, I'm a fan, I suggested it!) I have a 4 & 5 string Squier with the Atlas in it, and they sound as good as any P Bass I have.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  7. Monterey Bay-ss

Right on. I did order the Atlas after seeing yours. I'm considering picking up a Squier Classic Vibe '70s P and dropping either the QP or the Atlas in it based on how things go with this VMPV. Not that my pointy bass is going anywhere. Ever.

8. Monterey Bay-ss

Oh, and the Lace Aluma-P would have been the obvious choice to match the Aluma-P in my pointy 4, but I checked with Lace and they didn't think it would work with this wide of string spacing. @bassike made it work on a Lakland but I seem to have chickened out.

9. Biffa

Biffa

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    My OLP StingRay. Re-wired pick up to humbucker, (came wired as two single coils). Changed pick guard and uprated the bridge image.

10. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Very nice!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  11. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I have one I got for free. It’s a Robelli take on the Musicman idea. It sounds great and plays great with no need for electronic modifications, but the frets have overrun the fingerboard and so are dangerous. I need to get the edges filed down or something, then it will actually be a stellar instrument.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Squier Bronco ($120) with a bit of striping tape and a Gretsch 2220 humbucker pickup.

PB070030.JPG

14. Monterey Bay-ss

Beauty! What’s that, and how did it begin?

15. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That’s gotta be a killer combo!

Pilgrim likes this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My 2fer:

Pair.

17. Monterey Bay-ss

Ooh, that second one is going to make some people twitch, haha. I bet that took care of any neck dive, though!

18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :) Thanks! Got the (1960's Decca short scale) mahogany ply body and neck (eBay), cut the pg (as original), added the twin lipstick pu's & electronics/60's vintage rocker switches, tuners and a bridge and refinished it. (bridge cover and Teisco knobs are 60's vintage also) The body was stripped when I got it and had some shaping going on. Came together as a sweet little player!

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    A while after that picture was taken I changed the tuners to Gotoh GB350 Res-O-Lites which took care of that.