1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's See Your Hot-Rodded Cheapo Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monterey Bay-ss, Sep 28, 2018.

1. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    @diablo_man

I put a KA on my 32” scale Warmoth P. Like the Hamer the bridge holes are right up against the butt of the bass. The bridge end is dead even with the end of the bass. (looks long in this shot):

04810A9C-D179-4FE5-BFB0-600FD05BE459.

That said it beats the bent bridge in adjustability, the positions stay put once they’re adjusted, and, there aren’t saddle screws digging into my hand when I palm mute (which I do a lot).

2. diablo_man

diablo_man

Sep 4, 2013
    Yeah i was a little concerned about the length of the KA, but the edge of the body is 1.25" from the existing screws, and the KA extends back 1.06" from the holes. So it should fit. But since my existing bent bridge doesnt have a 5 hole fender layout(its 4 holes, one at each corner) I will be filling the existing holes anyways and drilling new ones.

Given how much adjustability range(2" intonation apparently) the KA has, it could likely be shifted a little forward if it needed to and still intonate fine.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If the KickAss bridge covers up the existing holes, why bother with filling them? It'd be a lot of work and, assuming they'd remain unseen, the only appreciable outcome would be ensure that you can no longer drop the original bridge back in should you ever feel the need…at least, not without drilling them out again. :confused:

kodiakblair and EatS1stBassist like this.
  4. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

When I put this bass together I got the body for free. The neck was from a $50 P bass copy from the 70s and the pick ups and electronics I took out of an old 70s MM stingray. Sanded the finish down on the body and routed new holes for the pickups, new custom pick guard and used the control plate of the old stingray as well.

Before:
    20190813_053707.

After:

20190518_193707.

5. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    This is a fairly low priced build. The body is an inexpensive used lightweight Warmoth that I bought right here on Talkbass. It was already sufficiently beat up when I bought it. The Mexican P neck I had laying around as well as the control plate and pots and knobs. The Dimarzios were new. I couldn't resist the unusual pickguard which I also bought right here on Talkbass. The result is a relatively inexpensive 8 pound bass that can hang with the high-price spread.
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

6. Se-eh-eh-exxxy! That's cool good sir.

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Very cool! :cool: Does it growl like a gator?

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  8. diablo_man

diablo_man

Sep 4, 2013

Well the laurel burl veneer is actually going to cover over all the holes regardless, but the back two holes are close but not quite the spacing for the outer two holes on the KA bridge. So, talking to luthier friend he suggested filling them so the new drill/screw hole doesnt bust through one of the old ones, off to the side, etc.

We will see, once i get the new bridge delivered we will figure the best place to put it.

9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Well, that makes a ton of sense. Carry on, sir! :thumbsup:

diablo_man likes this.
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Those Dimarzios are dynamite. You can make them do whatever you want.

11. diablo_man

diablo_man

Sep 4, 2013
    Anyone ever try the Lace Aluma Bass Bar pickups?

Was at my luthier friend's (he is doing some hole filling, nut work, etc on my Hamer ) and he had a pair of bass bar 4's(typically meant for a 5 string) that dropped perfectly into the overly large soapbar routes for the 4 string hamer. Thinking of swapping those in while Im going to all this effort modding.

12. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

I have them in a Spector Legend 5 Classic. I prefer them to the stock SSDs or EMG-HZs or whatever came with the instrument, which seem like all boom and sizzle, particularly with the Tone Pump Jr preamp. I think Alumitones have a warm overall character with a wide frequency response. The innate chime-y top end of the Spector doesn't really suit my style as it turns out, but it's a perfectly good sound.

Weren't you going to start a separate thread for your work in progress?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    diablo_man likes this.
  13. diablo_man

diablo_man

Sep 4, 2013
    Oh yeah, I totally should, stop spamming this one. In this sub forum, or the Luthiers section? Doesnt seem right over there.

14. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

I would guess "basses," same as this one, but a mod or more experienced user might know better.