1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Let's spread some musical misinformation

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Sep 26, 2013.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    Ever wonder what happened to all of the old wire that was used to transmit Morse code, i.e., telegraph wire? It has been recycled to make guitar strings!

Some of the wire still contained dots and dashes. The dots were extracted and are used to make guitar fret markers. To date, no use has been found for the dashes, and they remain locked in a dash vault in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    dougjwray, Mr_Moo, Jay2U and 2 others like this.
  2. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    "Morse Code" is just another way of talking about the lyrics in Spock's Beard and Transatlantic music.

Mr_Moo, Jay2U and mrjim123 like this.
  3. Morse code is how drummers communicate with each other. Fills are how they send messages to drummers in the audience during a performance. Peter Criss was famously fired from Kiss after he sent a message during a show complaining of torture and an unequal share of the money. Neil Peart used his fills for puns and dad jokes.

Winslow, Mr_Moo, biguglyman and 3 others like this.
  4. PillO mentioned the gaffer-tape workaround but also, with the "talk" button taped down, I found another workaround back in the day. Instead of saying "over" at the end of every sentence, I had a Tandy/Radio Shack curled jack lead plugged into my Hondo bass. I only had to move slightly and the loud "KIRSSCH" noise indicated that I had finished speaking.

Due to demand, Fender started paying over the odds for those Morse dots. Crafty Gibson and Rickenbacker bought up a stock of dashes for next to nothing and layered them to make block fret markers. This explains why Gibsons and Rickenbackers are so cheap yet Gibson had such large profit margins they could not fail as a business.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    It works the other way round as well. Due to the Covid crisis many musicians sell their strings to companies that recycle them as fence wire. Flatwounds are most wanted.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  6. mormonad-some-music-can-hurt-you-1118374-gallery.jpg

1bassleft, Mr_Moo and Jay2U like this.
  7. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    When I was a beginner (even more beginner than I'm now), I dreamed about a bass strung like this. :eek:

Mr_Moo and PillO like this.
  8. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    This is the Shaolin way of learning to master the bass.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Mr_Moo, 1bassleft and PillO like this.
  9. In the UK, this is also a home remedy for curing neck dive. After a few months of playing 12-bar and plodding rock classics never getting past the 5th fret, a sufficient amount of hefty rosewood has been gouged out to balance the bass nicely.

Dire Straits bassist John Illsley was constantly changing his bass to avoid neck dive (not realizing that he was a distant relative of Richard III and this was the cause of the problem) until he solved it with the barbed wire string method. It was his suggestion to include "maybe get a blister on your little finger, maybe get a blister on your thumb" in the lyrics of Money for Nothing.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  10. When I was studying philosophy in the late 80s, Ozzy gave a series of guest lectures on the links between the Empiricists and Jungian ideation.

1bassleft likes this.
  11. I thought time was a jet plane.

12. That is correct, in fact, when John Denver wrote "Leaving on a Jet Plane" he was referencing time travel. (so many "times" I let you down, so many "times" I played around) The I'll wear your wedding ring reference, was a nod to the infinite circle time represents.

He carried that theme over into Rocky Mountain High, when he wrote, " He was born in the summer of his twenty-seventh year"

Mr_Moo and 1bassleft like this.
  13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Jimi took guitar lessons from Pat Boone one summer when he attended a Bible camp where Boone was a counselor.
    He somewhat enjoyed "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean", "Hot Cross Buns" and "Old MacDonald Had a Farm", but when they got to the E7#9 chord, Jimi envisioned his destiny, scaled the 15-foot fence, evaded the guards in their towers and ran away. (He stopped first at the girls' cabin to bring four young ladies with him.)
    When the camp found out, Pat was fired. He soon found work as a blackjack dealer in Atlantic City.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  14. Indeed.

Jay2U likes this.
  15. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    Yeah, but while you can leave on a plane you can't leave on time. Hey, wait a minute, you CAN leave on time. I guess you're right!

1bassleft and Mr_Moo like this.
  16. mrjim, you 'can' leave on time on a jet plane but - with the budget airlines of UK and Ireland - it involves what Douglas Adams called Bistromathics. Sitting on your arse in a plastic seat 8ft above the tarmac for 20 (non-smoking) minutes before taking off on a 2.5hr journey that the airline calls a 3hr 15min flight all results in a 'punctual' flight. It's a subset of time travel. For nicotine addicts, it seems like >7hrs.

By the same token, I've taken to wearing a navy blue blazer and tie at gigs. When the drummer clicks the sticks four times, I start playing when I feel like it, get drinks sorted every few minutes and hit that final note some time after the applause has petered out and the bar has closed.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. Sounds like someone missed their flight today...

18. I listened to a Kirk Hammet guitar solo and he did not use a wah-wah.

1bassleft likes this.
  19. Pushing musical misinformation into bare-faced-lie territory there, PillO

PillO and biguglyman like this.
  20. StephenM

StephenM

Feb 14, 2021
    scales on a bass can get stuck between your teeth

Mr_Moo, 1bassleft and TH63 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021