Light-weight combo recommendations for small gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Momma, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    Facing some facts. I'm 70. I have a cracked vertebra. I still want to gig, but hauling my Ampeg cabs with my Quilter head is no longer realistic. HELP!
    Can you please recommend a lightweight (less than 20lbs) combo that I could use for doing fairly small jazz gigs (coffee shops, small restaurants), as well as for band practice?
    I've been looking at Phil Jones amps. The Suitcase Compact (BG-400) looks good but is 40lbs. The Bass Cub II is great at 15lb, but would it have the power for more than practice? Any other suggestions?
    My suggestion - don't get older, and don't hurt your back!

bassface69 and chris_b like this.
  2. Bad Bob

Bad Bob Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2020
    Niskayuna, New York.
    Im the same age with a similar back problem.
    First place to start is the Fender Rumble 100 v3 (1-12, 22 lbs) with a bunch of ncessary and helpful features.

Ampslut, aus_bass, Evets1987 and 11 others like this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Saetia likes this.
  4. I hear ya. I’m disabled from an injury years ago and lightweight gear is crucial. If I was looking for a light combo this would probably be it:

AT Cube 500 – GRBass

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Guitalia, BSatt, staurosjohn and 5 others like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Genzler Magellan 350?

I used to have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2-12T combo that was absolutely fantastic. I never should have gotten rid of it. I figure the Genzler would be the closest option to it these days.

7. Kevin Hailey

Kevin Hailey

Oct 24, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    Acoustic Image.

8. If I was your age (I will be in 2 months), I'd go for the Fender Runble 100 v3 for starters. Fairly inexpensive and decent sound.

9. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I presume the Quilter is compact and lightweight? Unless you have other reasons to ditch the head, you might just want to get a lightweight 2x8 or 1x10 (or maybe 1x12?). I dig combos—I like just grabbing one box and use a Traynor SB112 all the time, maybe just a bit heavier than you want, though they do also make a 1x10—but if you like the Quilter you have, you’re already halfway toward a nice lightweight rig.

Haroldo, smogg, ColdEye and 4 others like this.
  10. djmay

djmay

Apr 8, 2022
    Switzerland
    I am 68. I use TC BQ500 and Phil Jones C2 for big band rehearsals. Total weight about 20 pounds. Therefore, Bass Cub II should be more than adequate.

6-3-2 likes this.
  11. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    The lightest way to go is individual pieces and not more stuff in the same box. Not saying you can’t get some very lightweight combos, but not as light as components. MarkBass makes some decent lightweight stuff. They have a lot of competition these days, but as an overall package of lightweight & good sound, they are probably still rated in the upper 50% of the lightweight bass products available.

12. DrewD

DrewD Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    I asked this question several weeks ago and received a reply that surprised me - because I hadn't thought of it and it turned out to be true.

Phil Jones separates are extremely portable and come in any size to suit your back :)

smogg and 6-3-2 like this.
  13. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I agree with this, I have a Quilter and it is super-light and very effective. Pair it with a light cab and you're good to go. Some suggestions - Genzler Magellan 10-2, RevSound 28. I believe there's a RevSound 28 in the TB classifieds, I had one and its a killer cab <20 lbs.

bassface69, smogg and Riff Ranger like this.
  14. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    Yes, keep the Quilter and buy a light cab. I have a Bass Block 800 and a Barefaced One 10, it's only 7kg / 15lbs, and it sounds great. I can move it with my little finger. Gr Bass and Phil Jones have great light cabs too.

bassface69 and smogg like this.
  15. 01DC29E6-BA5B-46B4-90E9-BE151267D8E8.jpeg Acoustic Image Ten2. This thing kicks butt. 600 watt, the head is removable. 2-10” and a horn. Under 30 pounds.

logdrum and 1960jbass like this.
  16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Separates is the way to go. Make each lift is as light as you can. IMO with back issues, light starts at 30lbs. Anything over that is heavy.

Keep your Quilter and get a Barefaced Super Compact, with the cloth grill. It's a 1 cab solution, only 21.5lbs, and at 600 watts, as loud as you'll ever need, with great tone and dispersion (that means the band and audience will hear you better).

Also get a folding trolley/truck. then you just have to deal with lifting the gear on and off rather than carrying for any distance.

bassface69 and smogg like this.
  17. wjl

wjl

Jul 18, 2017
    near Frankfurt, Germany
    endorsing nothing except maybe free and open source stuff, like Linux
    This. I'm using a Markbass "Player School", and transport it using such a folding trolley. We also use that whenever we buy glass bottle crates...

18. I would go for an Acoustic Image Clarus SL and a Trace Elliot Elf 1x10". The head is less than 2.5 lbs and the cab is 16.2 lbs. It is not a combo, but I have played all last summer with this setup and even at some relatively larger venues, the combination held really well. Also, the form factor of the Elf speaker is pretty good, i.e., it is very easy to carry it without breaking the back and the bank! :)

19. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    This. Or an AI Upshot, coming in at 16lbs. https://www.acousticimg.com/product/upshot

I
    used a BB800 and my upshot for years for these kinds of gigs, just trying to streamline load-in/out. Until I bought a Quilter Interbass 45, and shaved off even more! I love that cab.

20. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    With D class amps low weight, there's no need to go separate, unless you need modularity.
    I use GK MB112 II, it covers small gigs and stage monitoring for me. It might be over your limit at 34 pounds, but there's smaller MB110 model that weights 25.

Hazeyhaze likes this.